Square neckerchiefs?

I agree that the square necker is far more difficult to look neat around the neck. However, once the triangular necker became more of an accessory, the idea of a messy looking necker went by the wayside. But if one is only interested in looking good and not necessarily need to be practical, the pockets, epaulettes and such could disappear in a heart beat. No more sewing pockets shut to put on rank badges, etc. The pants could lose the belt loops and look more like dress pants, and of course the extra pockets and flaps could disappear as well. The zip-offs would go away, no dress pants have zip-offs.

How far does one want to go to look nice vs. be practical. Personal opinion will play itself out on that issue. Heck, there are a number of scouts and scouters out there that think a t-shirt and blue-jeans is good enough. :)

Stosh

If the square necker was for emergency use only vs. decorative addition to the uniform, I would agree with you. But I use my necker to keep the sun off my neck, and because I don't view it as all that necessary for decoration, I soak it down with water on a hot day. That evaporation on the back of the neck is a god-send. I have also wrapped up ice and put it in my hat to keep cool on a hot day. On cold days, I cinch up my woggle to keep the old air out, I fluff up the necker as much as possible to catch as much air insulation as possible. I have also used it to hold small items I collect on a trek as necessary, tying the four corners together and tucking in my belt.

I have used it as a hotpad when I'm grabbing hot fry pans out of the fire and a napkin while dining. If served really hot food in my mess kit, It goes on the bottom of my mess kit so I can hold it in my hand.

I use it as a washcloth in the morning and a towel the rest of the day. I have used it to lay over a jac shirt pillow when sleeping. It's a lot more comfortable that laying my face on a wool jacket.

I think a lot of people are afraid to use their neckers as anything other than decoration unless it's an emergency. There's a ton of camp chores and personal hygiene that an extra camp towel, bandanas, hot pads, would invalidate if people would make use of their neckers as a practical part of their uniform and not just decoration.

Stosh

Stosh

I guess I make more use out of neckers than just for emergencies only vs. decoration.

We plan to wear it over the collar.
Square neckers go over the collar whereas the triangular neckers are generally perceived as ornamental and under the collar holds it in place somewhat better. I wear all my neckers over the collar as do my boys.

Stosh