Summer camp pricing

As I look into this further, it appears the camp they are going to is not a Boy Scout property. It is a private camp that offers Scouting programs. That's probably part of the reason the cost is so high. It's a camp on Catalina Island off the coast of California. The troop alternates between this camp and another camp in the Sierra mountains each year. The other camp is at a Boy Scout property, so hopefully that one will be cheaper. It would be nice if they offered both on the year that they do the expensive camp, so at least a boy who wants to attend camp can go without breaking the bank.
Don't worry about that. As long as the scout is mostly self-sufficient, most scoutmasters are glad to have one or two attend with them. As long as the match up works. In another words, a scout from a relaxed troop probably would not do well in a strongly regimented troop, but the reverse would probably be fine.

In our city, I've seen it happen regularly. Our troop has done it several times and other troops have done it several times. It's no big deal.

Sometimes, districts or councils will put together a provisional troop made up of boys who want to go to camp but can't go with their regular troop. It might be another option for your son, to see if he can go to a regular scout camp with a provisional troop.

I see provisional troops suggested above.

I think it is a really bad idea to send a new scout with a unit he does not know and a part time scoutmaster looking after him. Seems like a recipe for a homesick lad who you will never see again after summer camp.

Looking for a couple of provisional camps for a couple of my boys who do not want to attend our traditional camp with the troop. Both require the lads to be first class and 13 years old before they will take them.

I see provisional troops suggested above.

I think it is a really bad idea to send a new scout with a unit he does not know and a part time scoutmaster looking after him. Seems like a recipe for a homesick lad who you will never see again after summer camp.

Looking for a couple of provisional camps for a couple of my boys who do not want to attend our traditional camp with the troop. Both require the lads to be first class and 13 years old before they will take them.

It all depends on the quality of the provisional SM. If he's good, there shouldn't be a problem, otherwise it could be a major problem. One has no way of knowing this before the boy sets off for camp. I guess I don't like the crap-shoot chances of sending off my boys under those circumstances.

Stosh

Even though we haven't bridged over yet, I took my son to the Boy Scout meeting last night so we could learn more about this expensive camp on Catalina Island. Turns out it is actually a Council-owned camp, not a private camp. The people we talked to all raved about how fun the camp was, so my son and his friend decided to go but I told my son that he had to raise $300 of the cost himself.

Even though we haven't bridged over yet, I took my son to the Boy Scout meeting last night so we could learn more about this expensive camp on Catalina Island. Turns out it is actually a Council-owned camp, not a private camp. The people we talked to all raved about how fun the camp was, so my son and his friend decided to go but I told my son that he had to raise $300 of the cost himself.
In this day and age you actually expect your son to take some responsibility to pay for this???? Shame on you!

Seriously: Sounds like your mentoring is going to produce a responsible young man! Congrats! By the way, it is my experience that boys that work for a goal like this makes that goal that much more valuable to them. Hope your boy has a blast!

Stosh

This sounds like Camp Emerald Bay on Catalina Island. It's a council owned camp that has been there since 1926. It is more expensive, but I would expect anything on Catalina Island to be more expensive. It's not a big island, and all the supplies have to come in by boat from the mainland. In addition the land is leased, not owned by the council (almost the entire island is owned by the Wrigley family or the

Catalina Island Conservancy). I have heard good things about it, but I have never seen the camp myself.

http://campemeraldbay.org/

This sounds like Camp Emerald Bay on Catalina Island. It's a council owned camp that has been there since 1926. It is more expensive, but I would expect anything on Catalina Island to be more expensive. It's not a big island, and all the supplies have to come in by boat from the mainland. In addition the land is leased, not owned by the council (almost the entire island is owned by the Wrigley family or the

Catalina Island Conservancy). I have heard good things about it, but I have never seen the camp myself.

http://campemeraldbay.org/

Yes, that is the camp.