New to the Forum & need help dealing with Committee Chair & Charter Rep issue

By the way, if the OP is still around and we haven't scared you off, I would like to alter what I said about the IH being absolute, and COR as their spokesman being very close to absolute.. There are some exception, but it would have to be something that is a strict BSA policy that the CO has signed a contract agreeing to follow in order to obtain their charter.. Or something that you feel is mental abuse to certain scouts..

Ex.

They want you to hand out the rank advancement as candy.. Now this would have to be a definite statement of "just give it to them", or "give them this merit badge, but don't have them do requirements A, B or C.. BSA is very particular that no one add or remove from advancement requirements.. But, this has to be an absolute.. Not a disagreement about where the bar of competency should be.. ie. one wants it awarded on the first attempt the other side wants it awarded when they can do it blindfolded with one hand tied behind their back..

Or if they are telling you that if a homosexual comes into the unit, to be nasty and unwelcoming so that he quickly moves on.. Or make up a ridiculous excuse why you can not allow them in the troop, like you have to many scouts already..

Here is a link to what is signed annually by the CO in order to charter a BSA unit.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/membership/pdf/524-182_web.pdf

Again though.. You could get BSA involved if they are out and out not following the charter agreements, but.. then it is up to the CO to decide to comply -or- to give up the charter (and thus the BSA program.) Again, their decision to keep all the equipment & money etc, or to let you relocate to a new CO and they will sign the equipment/money over to your new CO for your unit to continue to use with them.

Basement,

I like you better when you're contributing positive ideas instead of trying to prop yourself up by standing on others.

If you think a new poster acts without intelligence, ignore it. Why contribute to the total time wasted with 5 windy posts of your own?

By the way, if the OP is still around and we haven't scared you off, I would like to alter what I said about the IH being absolute, and COR as their spokesman being very close to absolute.. There are some exception, but it would have to be something that is a strict BSA policy that the CO has signed a contract agreeing to follow in order to obtain their charter.. Or something that you feel is mental abuse to certain scouts..

Ex.

They want you to hand out the rank advancement as candy.. Now this would have to be a definite statement of "just give it to them", or "give them this merit badge, but don't have them do requirements A, B or C.. BSA is very particular that no one add or remove from advancement requirements.. But, this has to be an absolute.. Not a disagreement about where the bar of competency should be.. ie. one wants it awarded on the first attempt the other side wants it awarded when they can do it blindfolded with one hand tied behind their back..

Or if they are telling you that if a homosexual comes into the unit, to be nasty and unwelcoming so that he quickly moves on.. Or make up a ridiculous excuse why you can not allow them in the troop, like you have to many scouts already..

Here is a link to what is signed annually by the CO in order to charter a BSA unit.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/membership/pdf/524-182_web.pdf

Again though.. You could get BSA involved if they are out and out not following the charter agreements, but.. then it is up to the CO to decide to comply -or- to give up the charter (and thus the BSA program.) Again, their decision to keep all the equipment & money etc, or to let you relocate to a new CO and they will sign the equipment/money over to your new CO for your unit to continue to use with them.

Actually the above comment fixes the problem of drawing conclusions.. It accounts for a problem that might be the CO is not wanting the troop to run a true BSA program..

Can I recommend anything besides the CO rules, unless it is strictly against the BSA overall program, child abuse or illegal.. No..

Could we give more advise with more information.. Figure out some ideas of a compromise, offer some positives of moving closer to the CO ideas, or how they can take what they think is a turd and polish it up some and still have a good program.. Sure.. Can't offer anything like that.. But, still I am fine that given the sketchy post, we have answered to the best of our ability.

Agree with JoeBob - sometimes you are a great contributor to the thread, and other times you are not.. I guess it depends on what side of the bed you roll out of it your are a total grump or a pleasant contributor.. Right now trying to defend why we should all treat new posters with hostility, is not you at your finest.

• 2 weeks later...