New Cub Scout Adventure Program - Starting in May 15

So...my FB link for Scouting Magazine popped up with this information tonight. I keep asking, but can't seem to get any answers...was hoping maybe someone here has some further information.

1) New program starts in 2015....but what happens to the WEBELOS who are already half-way through their programs?

- It reads like the WHOLE program is being revamped...so if the WEBELOS are only half-way through...do they start over? Just can't get any answers on this...

2) One article reads the Sports and Academics programs are going away...so...get your Belt Loops while you can!

Anyway, just hoping someone knows something...because as a Bear Den Leader, who's expecting to be leading some new WEBELOS in May 2014...I'd like to be able to plan out the program!

http://scoutingmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/new_cub_adventure_program_mg.pdf

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it disconcerting enough the way Arrow of Light is. Under the program guidelines, a boy that's been scouting 4.5 years and one that has been scouting 0.5 years that amassed the pins in 6 months

Glad to see the Sports & Academics Program and belt loops going away. A lot of those seem like just a rubber stamp. Kids on the soccer team get the soccer award, etc. Scouting doesn't need to be t

There's lots of information here: http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/01/01/better-activities-simplified-advancement-coming-to-cub-scouting-in-2015/

It doesn't take effect until the 2015-16 program year, so August or September of 2015. Not sure how the LDS programs will be run, but for the rest, it looks like they are completely separating out the Webelos I and Webelos II programs. You will be able to earn AOL without earning Webelos. The link doesn't give a lot of details, but it sure looks like earning AOL won't be the big deal that it is now, which is disappointing.

I am sure that for Webelos it will be the same as for any other changes BSA has made to it's program.

If you have started the "old" way - BEFORE - the "new" way becomes official, you can finish using the "old" criteria.

Once the "new" way becomes official you can ONLY do/use/earn the "new" way.

Our pack only has Tigers and Wolves. So Fall of 2015 is when we get our first Webs.. I don't know if I am hoping they iron it out by then or not.

If they don't then we get to change our first group of Webs mid-stream.

If it is totally ironed out and they totally separate what Webs I and Webs II do, it may throw a monkey wrench in some plans. I was hoping our Webs I could pick-up some Webs II who are new to scouting as both Webs I and newbie Webs II scouts would do the same thing, perhaps the Webs II had an additional Arrow of Light, but maybe not if we could move the Webs I through everything and then they would just have a year to do whatever they truly have an interest in with little concern to advancement.

Wow A lot of Information without answering anything for sure.

Gotta Love this from the Scouting magazine file provided

Well, if you read the pdf from Scouting Magazine it stated - clearly -

CONFIDENTIAL

Please do not share this document with others. These are working documents and

are subject to change.

So, of course, it gets shared all over the place, and treated as a done deal.

The point is that they do NOT have everything settled as of yet. Once we get closer to May 1, 2015, I would bet we will see some more, and clearer, information on the particulars.

What I would - currently - go by is if your Scouts are entering 4th grade as of May 2015, they start Webelos using the new Webelos program (whatever that ultimately ends up being).

If your Scouts are entering 5th grade as of May 2015, they would continue to finish using the old Webelos program.

If you have brand new to Scouts boys, first entering as a 5th grade Webelos as of May 2015, they would use the new program. Depending on what the final changes are, and if earning AOL will still be required for "early" entrance to the Boy Scout program, these new Scouts could very well work on both the Webelos award, and AOL award requirements, at the same time. Or either one alone, depending on what interests them, and when they plan on moving to Boy Scouts.

I am sure we will see some kind of clarification come out of BSA during the next 1.5 years.

I find it disconcerting enough the way Arrow of Light is. Under the program guidelines, a boy that's been scouting 4.5 years and one that has been scouting 0.5 years that amassed the pins in 6 months gets the same recognition as the highest honor in Cub Scouting, one that they'll wear on their Boy Scout Uniform AND Adult Scouter Uniform.

There is no need for Arrow of Light for someone that isn't in Cub Scouting and a real participant in the program.

Strengthening Webelos is good. Continuing to spit on the program that is the bread and butter of Scouting is lame.

• Downvote 1

Pack18Alex: While I certainly agree with your sentiment...the truth is, currently a boy only needs 6 months in Cub Scouting to earn the AOL...so that isn't much of a change. However, it looks like the whole program will be significantly changing

ScoutNut: I agree, that is probably how I'll approach the program. As for the document....it was linked to the original article. I just thought it was the most comprehensive one.

For my part...I plan to run my WEBELOS through as much of the program as I possibly can as quickly as I can.

True, but if a scout joins in 15 and goes all out for AoL, they are into it. The way this reads, to me, is a Tiger,Wolf,Bear,Webelos self contained program, followed by an arrow of light program. At least before you need to do the 18 month program in 6 months, now you can just do the 6 month one... Hence my lame comment...

True, but if a scout joins in 15 and goes all out for AoL, they are into it. The way this reads, to me, is a Tiger,Wolf,Bear,Webelos self contained program, followed by an arrow of light program. At least before you need to do the 18 month program in 6 months, now you can just do the 6 month one... Hence my lame comment...
I guess you have a valid point...however I still have hope they can modify this in such a way to at least require some effort at the whole Cub Scouting Program before AOL is awarded. (but I can remember getting another WEBELOS in my den as a youth...and he got his AOL with us...even after only a short time..

I'm really frustrated and confused. This new program looks too much like Girl Scouts and I really dislike their program. Currently Webelos can earn 20 activity badges and if they earn all 20 get a special super achiever patch - that is something my son has been working towards. But what happens now?! Why do all the scouts have to do the same thing? I like that our den offers the base activity badges, but my son has the opportunity to go above and beyond on his own (with his family or at summer camp). This all sounds like terrible news and I am questioning our commitment to this program.

I'm really frustrated and confused. This new program looks too much like Girl Scouts and I really dislike their program. Currently Webelos can earn 20 activity badges and if they earn all 20 get a special super achiever patch - that is something my son has been working towards. But what happens now?! Why do all the scouts have to do the same thing? I like that our den offers the base activity badges, but my son has the opportunity to go above and beyond on his own (with his family or at summer camp). This all sounds like terrible news and I am questioning our commitment to this program.
First of all - CALM DOWN! This is NOT the finished product. There will be changes to this in the next 1.5 years.

Second - if you read all the way thru the program pdf you will notice the Webelos Elective section.

There are 19 Elective "Adventures" a Webelos can earn - if THEY choose.