• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many to choose from

Green Grow the Rushes Ho

Johhny Verbeck

Allouetta

She'll be comming around the mountain

My Darling CLemintine (with 5 non standard verses, all scout ok)

Someone's in the Kitchen with Dinah

oh the list can go on and on and as Outdoor Thinker will tell you, I can do all of these without referencing a source and at the drop of a hat, much to her and other crew members chagrin

I really liked reciting the Ballad of William Sycamore at a recent campfire, it had the kids entralled.

BTW ::soft hummimg in the background::

...Sing her glories, live her idylls hold her memories dear, give a cheer that all may hear it, Hail oh Hail Minsi...(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

A big :-P for OGE...for everyone else, he was quoting from our camp's alma mater -- another favorite of mine. Let's just say he uncooly uses it to help his powers of persuasion. He was around when I was offered a job for the summer in the State Rep's office just recently a few days after I had officially been offered the commissioner position at camp -- a few bars of the alma mater I had quite an emotional reaction (as he knew I would) and I turned the state rep down.

And you'll hear some bible stories that you never heard before

The earth was built in ten days and finished on the eleventh

And that was such a shame cause the contract said the seventh

But the foreman got lazy and the plumbing didnt work so to get the thing delievered they just filled it up with dirt

Young Folks Old Folks everybody come, to the Boy Scout SUnday school and have a lot of fun, place your backpacks, SLeeping bags and canteens at the door, and you'll hear some bible stories that youve never heard before

(the chorus I learned)

Adam was the first man and Eve was his spouse

They lived together in a cozy garden house,

Everything was fine till the first son came, then they moved out to the suburbs and started raising Cain

Chours:

BTW I know 10 more vereses(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Joseph had a coat of many colors which he wore;

His brothers hadn't any and it made them awful sore,

So they took him out walking and they threw him in the sewer,

Then they sent him down to Egypt-land to take a little tour.

So many good ones.. Our camp songs have been exclusively oral tradition for longer than I can remember, so the songs are rather different from any offical written version and the titles are only guesses..

Boom Boom (Ain't It Great To Be Crazy)- This one turns out to be an amalgam of two very different songs, so there are about thirty verses :)

The Mountain Dew song - I'm actually one of the few that won't drink it.

Don't Want No More of Boy Scout Camp - Standard verses with a few camp-specific ones..

Vito's Orchestra - named for the staffer who introduced it

The Birdy Song - Best sung on less than 6 hours sleep..

The Wapello Fight Song - Rah Rah Wapello

I also enjoy a simple little song (and dance) about a particular moose, but it has it's share of detractors.

Of course my favorite is the Wapello Hymn, which we sing at the end of campfires. There are also some other serious songs we sing at this time, America (beautiful song done in a round), On My Honor (quick version), and Taps.

There are also the other songs we don't sing with the scouts, but I don't need to list them. ;)

En Roulant Ma Boule

Derriere chez nous y'a t'un etang, En roulant ma boule

Derriere chez nous y'a t'un, En roulant ma boule

Trois beaux canards s'en vont baignat, En roulant ma boule (x2)

Le fils du roi s,en vont chassant Rouli Roulnt ma boule roulant

En roulant ma boule roulant, En roulant ma boule

There's a wee bit more, as well as nearly a 100 different variations for this song...

and of course, this Irish tear jerker....

Danny Boy