Happy Winter Solstice - 2013

I have celebrated the winter solstice in Alaska and in the Bahamas - Alaska was more fun.
I lived in Anchorage. There is a solstice party on top of Flat Top Mountain. As a young, single male - my Scouting skills in hiking up adult entertainment and my ability to get the fire going, plus wire the car batteries for the band to play made it all a very good time.
I have celebrated the winter solstice in Alaska and in the Bahamas - Alaska was more fun.
Wow, I was ON Flat Top a few years ago during an unseasonably warm November. It was evening the trail was icy and I was alone at dusk. Got some great photos. Can only imagine lugging a car battery up there.
Wow, I was ON Flat Top a few years ago during an unseasonably warm November. It was evening the trail was icy and I was alone at dusk. Got some great photos. Can only imagine lugging a car battery up there.
happy yuletide! as a fig grower this is a happy day. a day closer to my trees giving me the fruit of my labor.
Where do you live? We also have figs. My wife's grandfather brought cuttings with him from Italy when they immigrated over 100 years ago. We're still propagating that stock and a few other varieties. They are trees now, about 25-30 feet high and they spread in a radius of about 20 ft. This year the heavy rain and fungus wiped out both crops...frown.
Thanks. In years past, this topic was more promptly and elegantly posted by Trevorum and others. For auld lang syne.
Thanks, Schiff. I missed sending out my annual solstice greetings, mea culpa!

Previously, i had received a not so nice note protesting my promotion of an 'alternative holiday.' For the record, the winter solstice is a very special day for me, for personal and not mystical reasons. ( I also celebrate Christmas, but not for religious reasons.)

Merry Christmas to all my Scouting friends here on the forums.

Thanks. In years past, this topic was more promptly and elegantly posted by Trevorum and others. For auld lang syne.
Someone protested your promotion of an 'alternative holiday'? Really? For wishing everyone a happy winter solstice? How very unscoutlike of them. I am increasingly amazed at the small mindedness of some people.