Ok, I've found a project im going to present to my SM and the Committee.

It will be a Blood Drive. The first 25 donors get a Class B shirt of ours that on the back reads" I Gave Blood For Eagle Scout Project, 2003" The next 50 will get a regular Blood Donation t-shirt, and after that you get a button. The cost I'm aware of is to get the shirts for the first 25 and the buttons, since the Blood Drive bus gives out their shirts for free. But do you tink I will have to pay them( the Blood Drive Bus)?

Report back soon, if you can, and read what I replied to on the "Advice for Troop 15" topic, and reply to that too, please.

"Come back soon ya hear!"

I will call the Blood Drive Bus and ask to come and do a blood drive. I will set up the place and time to do it. I will give leadership to the scouts in getting the people in orderly and and being kind. And also in giving out the shirts and so forth. I know what your thinking, but I can't be the person who takes the blood out, but I will be one of the first ones to give blood. It would also send a positive message to the community.

SPL_15, you know I like you, I find your wit and love of scouting refreshing. But as a District Advancement Chair, the answer is simple

NO

Organzing a blood drive is NOT an Eagle Project. This has been reviwed before on this forum with different opinions. (what a shock)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

SPL_T15 seems to know nothing about the need for having an Eagle Counselor. The troop and committee must sign-off on the Eagle Service Project but only after the initial steps have been taken presenting his project to the Eagle Counselor. Every Scoutmaster should know this and any Boy Scout at Life working on his Eagle should know it too. The way SPL_15 never seems to get anything quite right, and comes back posting even more rediculous situations regularly, makes me very suspicious that he is actually someone quite a bit older than an SPL with Scouter experience that is pulling you guys legs, or in this case your arms for donating blood!

The Eagle Conselor is my SM.

And second, I not even going to comment on the second thing you said.

"Quite a bit older than SPL"

What? Older than SPL? Im the SPL of Troop 15. I done gave out so much info on myself alredy you should know im 14.

I dont know if your making a joke or being rude, but i dont appreciate your remarks. I ask questions alot. So what.

(Edited part)

That was targeted to KA6BSA, not you OGE, sorry if it came out that way. You remind me alot of my SM(This message has been edited by Senior_Patrol_Leader_T15)

This reference to Eagle Counselors is only the second I've run into. In the council where I earned my Eagle Scout, any counseling was done by the Scoutmaster and the district advancement committee. Some by the council itself.

In the first council I served as a professional, there were no Eagle Counselors other than the troop, district and council resources as outlined by the national organization.

In the second council I served, every Eagle Scout Candidate was assigned an Eagle Advisor.

In the council I currently serve, it's according to the national structure -- Scoutmaster, district advancement committee, council advancement committee.

I don't like the idea of Eagle Counselor or Eagle Advisor. I think they end up doing too much for someone who should be capable of reading applications and filing paperwork on their own.

While I don't think Eagle Candidates should have to present their project orally to a committee of adults that they do not know, I think they certainly ought to be able to present the project in writing in sufficient detail that it can be reviewed and understood by anyone in the approval process.

(deleted portion)

Now I'm going to delete the example I've used. It's too strong and not fit for these forums. I feel better for having typed it, but you won't see it.

New example -- an Eagle Scout Candidate should not need an adult to complete his Eagle Application any more than a High School Senior needs an adult to complete his application for college. I don't care what age the Eagle Candidate is. IF he chooses to ask an adult to check it over, that's his call. But I don't think an Eagle Candidate should be assigned someone to help him with HIS task. He should recruit one if he feels the need.

I don't have anything against KA6BSA. I just don't like the idea of adults doing anything for Eagle Candidates that he can't do for himself.

DS

In our council (Desert Pacific) in San Diego the Eagle Project plan must be signed off by 1)a religious institution, school, or community representative 2) a unit committee member 3) a Scoutmaster (troop), Coach (team), or Advisor (crew) and 4) a council or district advancement committee member. This last person is also the Eagle Counselor (or Advisor), and they simply review the project and counsel or advise the Scout to make sure the project is substantial enough for Eagle. They don't do any part of the project or work for the Scout, in fact they are usually doing just the opposite by making sure the parents aren't doing everything for the boy. Of course the Eagle Counselor is just one person giving approval and the project is eventually judged by the Eagle Board for its completeness and merit. My point is that if the Scout had an Eagle Counselor such a trivial project as "donating blood and giving away T-shirts" would be immediately improved or revised to actually contain some elements of detailed planning, leadership, and project management, as well as a lasting benefit to some aspect of the community... worthy of an Eagle.

Our Wait, I think saying "Our" is okay. Our, Troop has an Eagle Advisor and although I haven't had to deal with the fellow, it looks like his primary function is to review proposals and help the Scout polish them (you wouldn't believe the horrible writing that I see coming from these Scouts).

He also acts as a sounding board for project ideas, "What do you think of this . . .?" "Nah, no leadership involved in cleaning your room."

In my district we don't have eagle advisers. In my are a blood drive wouldn't be considered an eagle scout project becuase of the fact that they visit all the areas frequently like once every 4 months. Service oranizations already sponser these. SPl wanted to he'd need to find a place, contact the red cross, get sings for adbvertsing them and post them throughout town, get juice pizza cookies dontaed. and make sure the troop is there for set up and take down. If the boy would do all of that i MIGHT consider it one but problem is that it might not neccisayly help your community. That blood doesn't say there in that area it goes all across the blood chapter region. So theres a lot of factors to consider.

What Ka6BSa and FOG have described are fine by me. I apologize for over-reacting. I've seen Eagle "cooridnators" (that's the term I was looking for) over-do for the kid and you end up with, in my opinion, an Eagle Scout who can't seem to think for himself.

Sorry guys. I over-reacted myself and misunderstood based on some things I've seen.

Dave

My Junior Girl Scouts organize and "run" blood drives. They bake cookies for it and call and get sign-ups for it and they post all the information in the community and paper............They are 9,10,11 and 12 year olds..........Not really enough work for an Eagle, or even a Eaglette.