How do you award points at a Concil Camporee

I tossed in a few items that balanced out much of the scoring.

Uniform - 1) "Class-B", 2) partial, 3) full Extra credit if shirt is tucked in.

Yell - 1) Make one up on the spot, 2) yell, but a joke, 3) Real yell Extra credit for enthusiasm.

Patrol size based on 8 members - 1) Only part of the patrol showed up for the event, 2) All showed up but less than 8, 3) all showed up with more than 8 members, 4) 6-8 member patrol all present Extra credit for teamwork

Rank - make adjustment for any patrol member that is not yet FC A TF gets more credit for fire building than a Star

This way a NSP in full uniform, with a rehearsed yell, 6-8 members all present, all TF may indeed win the event if they do fairly well on the actual skills of the station.

:) They don't ask me to judge competitions anymore because it was unfair to "add" these requirements. It solved too issues at the same time, I get out of judging and the big troops always win. Smaller troops simply go through the motions because they know they haven't a chance to win anything. Nothing worse than a NSP of fired up Web II crossovers winning over a mature patrol is boys that think all they have to do is complacently go through the motions to win knowing they have it locked up.

Stosh

yeah, I also add bonus point or a time bonus for uniforming, patrol flag, bonus if it's double sided, patrol yell that's for real, etc. Sometimes I give bonus points to a patrol just because they worked together well even if they didn't perform particularly well on the task. Sometimes I dock a super patrol because of their attitude. Yeah, it's considered fuzzy, can't be put into a spreadsheet and calculated with a stop watch. Don't really care. The techno mommies don't like me much.
didn't ask.. although I have been asked many times as a piper.

As to scoring, that is why i am going to an averaging system for scoring over all place. In theory a troop of 5 could beat a troop of 15 off of the averaged individual scores. This eliminates the stacked patrols.

I agree..I would award each category (age division) 1st through 4th with Some award and then Overall based on the average.to the Clans.

I would say something like

1st Place Event = 5 points

2nd Place Event finish = 3 Points

3rd Place Finish = 2 Points

4th Place Finish = 1 Point

Overall Scout = Highest Total based on Top 4 Finishes

Overall Clan Based on Accumulated Scouts Scores

Some Knuckle Dragging Traditions are Still as good today as they were 100 Years ago..I have never agreed with awarding everyone with equal awards unless everyone equally participates. If ya award everyone a Blue ribbon Scouters will stop trying to do their best because no matter how good they get and how hard they try.

didn't ask.. although I have been asked many times as a piper.

As to scoring, that is why i am going to an averaging system for scoring over all place. In theory a troop of 5 could beat a troop of 15 off of the averaged individual scores. This eliminates the stacked patrols.

I agree..I would award each category (age division) 1st through 4th with Some award and then Overall based on the average.to the Clans.

I would say something like

1st Place Event = 5 points

2nd Place Event finish = 3 Points

3rd Place Finish = 2 Points

4th Place Finish = 1 Point

Overall Scout = Highest Total based on Top 4 Finishes

Overall Clan Based on Accumulated Scouts Scores

Some Knuckle Dragging Traditions are Still as good today as they were 100 Years ago..I have never agreed with awarding everyone with equal awards unless everyone equally participates. If ya award everyone a Blue ribbon Scouters will stop trying to do their best because no matter how good they get and how hard they try.

You really should try reading what I wrote. Not everyone gets a blue ribbon. There are STANDARDS against which the Scouts compete. Different awards for how well each patrol compares against the standards. If every patrol rates as exemplary, then, yes, theoretically all could get blue ribbons. But you may want to re-evaluate your standards.

This tradition, by the way, is at least 40 years old as it is how camporees operated when/where I was a youth.

Well around here around here We have been awarding Winners based on 1st through 3rd Place Finishes since at least 1930's. I have no problem awarding through 4th Place as it balances it out a little more toward fairness. Now days the Only Troops who complain are the Ones who have poor skills and never come to events because "they Can't Win" I say it is more because Their Eagles don't have the Skills to compete..I say it is a bit embarrassing when your Eagles Can't Lash, Lose at Fire Building and Starting, Saw Logs, and all the basic Skill events.

• Upvote 1

True to the above, but I want it to be about the scout motto "Do your Best" but I do not want the small troop to have no chance because the big troop won again. I am trying to level the field to give all troops an equal chance to win,..

Think about history, it is not always the biggest army that wins, but the intelligence of the commander comes into play.

My whole goal with this is to level the field and make it so that ANY troop has the ability to win if they only try.

It's simple: The troop with the most adults on district and/or council committees wins the most points. :p

The 1950s Patrol Leader Handbook has a spreadsheet and points system in it; you can get copies on eBay pretty cheap. It's the blue one with the yelling boy on the cover.

There's also an old program for a scored weekend at this website http://dankohn.info/~scouts/ under the "Campcraft" section, titled "Pioneer Weekend" Never tried, it, ran across the page while I was Googling something else.