Cooking Merit Badge - New Requirements

Where does it say that the Scout has to EAT what he cooked?
Oooooo.... I guess I forgot the ;-)

But still, it would be good to know the Scout is serious about his efforts.

If you can find it, I recommend a cable TV show named "Taste of History" . It features Chef Walter Staib, of Philadelphia. He owns the "City Tavern" there. He specializes in historic cooking, demonstrating how a cook might create a meal in Thomas Jefferson's kitchen, or a pioneer family's hearth . High class, open fire, camp cooking. Gourmet, but very interesting.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm happy that the "My Plate" requirement reads as "or whatever the hell the USDA is calling food groups these days"

I earned the "old" Cooking MB last March. It's cool to have a discontinued merit badge on my sash!

I like the changes - funny, I always required that the backpacking meal be made on a backpacking trip. I wasn't trying to add to the requirements, it was just logical in my head. You have to factor in weight, uneven surface, and gear when choosing a backpacking meal. There was never a problem getting it all done - we camp every month, and we have enough backpacking to keep that from being an issue.

We are very strict about who in our Troop is an MBC - and we have removed people from the list more than once when the demonstrated a lack of knowledge or ability to teach a particular badge. Perhaps I should say that we welcome all, but we monitor (trust, but verify!).

I have been on the Council's list of MBCs for ages - but have only been called once in 10 years by someone outside of our unit.

I personally think that Cooking for Each Merit Badge should be done Separately..

Cook for Cooking

Cooking Requirements for Camping Merit Badge listed in it's own Requirement

Cooking Requirements for Back Packing Badge listed in it's own Requirements

Lets face it...we try to short cut and Earn Merit Badges in a Day Now Days, So we want to do it all at one time. Cook 1 Meal for 3 Merit Badges..Git 'er Done Attitude