Cooking Merit Badge - New Requirements

Maybe Kudu will even be happy. Just a little? Nah, probably not. ;)

Nah, definitely not.

"The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to get indoor boys to Eagle without ever walking into the woods with packs on their backs."

Anyone who has ever witnessed a Wood Badger or adult Eagle parse our Congressional Charter knows that the words "backpack" and "hike" have no meaning without specific mileage requirements.

Without the Journey system, all Scouting is Cub Scouting.

http://inquiry.net/advancement/traditional/journey_requirements.htm

Well excuse me, super moderator: I couldn't find the sugar plum emoticon.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm happy that the "My Plate" requirement reads as "or whatever the hell the USDA is calling food groups these days"

I earned the "old" Cooking MB last March. It's cool to have a discontinued merit badge on my sash!

Hummmm Anyone ever think about a Cooking Merit Badge "Buffet".. Why Not Center 1 or Two Campouts around the Cooking Merit Badge.
My thoughts exactly -- break those patrols into cooking groups.

What about cook offs outside at the meeting location. Do they count for any of these requirements?

Not every meal has to be planned and Cooked outdoors.

Requirement 4 Do the following Discuss EACH of the following cooking methods. For each one, describe the equipment needed and name at least one food that can be cooked using that method: baking, boiling, pan frying, simmering, steaming, microwaving, and grilling.

Nah, definitely not.

"The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to get indoor boys to Eagle without ever walking into the woods with packs on their backs."

Anyone who has ever witnessed a Wood Badger or adult Eagle parse our Congressional Charter knows that the words "backpack" and "hike" have no meaning without specific mileage requirements.

It's hard to find an example of anything you like about scouting. Why are you even still involved in it? Seems like an unnecessarily stressful choice.

Nah, definitely not.

Brew is involved so he can high speed low drag every boy to eagle.

God forbid they actually have to work or struggle a bit.

Actual cooking on a trail?????? The dumbest thing ever.......Your Programs stink guys just that simple. Every lad. well except the noobs, in my troop has cooked on the trail.....It is called backpacking. You plan your meals with a buddy, you buy your food with your buddy and cook your food with your buddy. pretty simple.

Nah, definitely not.

If it has a "mission," it's not Scouting.

Nah, definitely not.

Let's all just concede the point that you don't like Boy Scouts, loathe Cub Scouts, and view Girl Scouts with disdain.

Romanticizing the past is a common human failing. Ranks right up there with having to walk to school 5 miles, uphill, both ways.

Nah, definitely not.

Just the fact that you characterize a requirement that an Eagle ever walk into the woods with a pack on his back as "romanticizing the past" proves my point. As for an example of anything I like about Scouting, I have 2,000 pages of stuff that Scouts would rather do than explain the concepts of simple and compound interest :

http://www.kudu.net/outdoor/winter/activities/index.htm

Most Merit Badges at summer camp were/are freebies just like Merit badge college are.

Sadly Scouters circumvent the intent of the earning of merit badges through means provided to them.

Merit Badges are rarely earned through Merit Badge Counselors anymore but through the easy routes of summer camp and Merit Badge Colleges or "Troop" associated mbc

Most Merit Badges at summer camp were/are freebies just like Merit badge college are.

Sadly Scouters circumvent the intent of the earning of merit badges through means provided to them.

Merit Badges are rarely earned through Merit Badge Counselors anymore but through the easy routes of summer camp and Merit Badge Colleges or "Troop" associated mbc

Our troop associated MBCs are the only opportunity our Scouts have for earning MBs the right way.

We simply say "no" to our boys attending the local MB colleges.

Requirement 5 Does not have to be done Outdoor or at a Campout

Using the MyPlate food guide or the current USDA nutrition model, plan a menu for three full days of meals (three breakfasts, three lunches, and three dinners) plus one dessert. Your menu should include enough to feed yourself and at least one adult, keeping in mind any special needs (such as food allergies) of those to be served. List the equipment and utensils needed to prepare and serve these meals. Then do the following:

1. Create a shopping list for your meals showing the amount of food needed to prepare and serve each meal, and the cost for each meal.
  2. Share and discuss your meal plan and shopping list with your counselor.
  3. Using at least five of the seven cooking methods from requirement 4, prepare and serve yourself and at least one adult (parent, family member, guardian, or other responsible adult) one breakfast, one lunch, one dinner, and one dessert from the meals you planned.*
  4. Time your cooking to have each meal ready to serve at the proper time. Have an adult verify the preparation of the meal to your counselor.
  5. After each meal, ask a person you served to evaluate the meal on presentation and taste, then evaluate your own meal. Discuss what you learned with your counselor, including any adjustments that could have improved or enhanced your meals. Tell how better planning and preparation help ensure a successful meal.