An Interesting Weekend

Well here's an update. I talked to one of the parents who was our Cubmaster, I thought she was a MC but found out otherwise, and got some clarifications.

In regards to Patrol Leaders, The troop did elect PLs until this past month when they were suppose to be elections; According to her the SM said that it was getting to be cliquish with the same folks getting reelected everytime and everyone needed to get a chance in those positions. And of course his son was selected to be a PL since he just got Star and needs a POR.

Sorry no. If the PLs are doing a good job, they will keep getting elected. Should not be term limits. If the scouts in your patrol don't think you can be a good PL, they will not vote for you. You need to do some reflecting on why not.

In regards to not having a second leader, I found out he knew in advance that there would not be a second attending, and was planning on having the pack leaders staying Saturday nite with the troop. It would have been nice to have told the pack that. Normally it would not be an issue, but with the cold and rain, most Cub families are not prepared for it. We were lucky to have them stay as long as they did.

RememberSciff - Remember that it is no longer a Tour Permit but a Tour Plan, and it is now not required on every outing, but only if you go out of council or plan some event with some hazards, like boating or rock climbing.
Fred,

Believe it or not, there is a relationship, to a degree, with the troop. SM and one MC were the prior CMs of the pack. All the other leaders and committee members were DLs ot MCs of the pack. I think that's part of their problem: they are still acting as Cub Scout leaders. So these are folks we know. Good folks, but they don't understand BOY Scouts (all caps emphasis in this post ;) ).

Schiff,

I hate to say it, I didn't think of unhitching the trailer. I was kinda stunned about the situation. And I SHOULD have remembered they could have done that since the SM forgot the awards for the COH and had to leave camp to pick them up at his house. That's when I found out the troop was having a COH, when I asked where the SM was and was told to pick up the awards.

Resqman,

I know one Scout is committed to that troop because his dad is an MC and his brother is either SPL or ASPL. And I know 1 parent has a history with the troop my son is joining: the Troop's CC was his SM and the current SM was his ASM back in the day. I think that the hope among many is he can turn it around. Some told me it takes 7 years and everyone to create a good troop, but 7 minutes and 1 person to destroy it.

Understood Eagle92. I'm just saying in a continuous unit, the cub leaders would know the boy scout leaders very well and would have built a long relationship. Experienced leaders who were in cub scouts or venturing could have provided feedback and mentoring to the boy scout leaders because it's one unit.

The current unit split between cub, boy scout and venturing is so so dangerous. Usually, it's the cub scout units that flounder under in-experience and the cub scouters who succeeded are in boy scouts now waiting for the next cub scouts to come up.

I'm tempted to stay in Cub Scouting even after my sons advances so that I can provide the mentoring. But I'm not sure that would work long term as I would start to be viewed as an outsider.

That "outsider" view is a wall for communication, sharing and mentoring. It really really is.

In fact, most of my scouting learning has been at roundtable in the big sessions. The breakouts are fairly useless. But I learned so much as a Cub Leader listening to the Boy Scout discussions. Then as a Boy Scout leader I was able to guide many Cub Scout leaders.

You can never completely avoid bad leaders. But a different structure would help mentor and guide the less experienced. And it would help provided fixes to dis-functional leaders.

Fred,

Believe it or not, there is a relationship, to a degree, with the troop. SM and one MC were the prior CMs of the pack. All the other leaders and committee members were DLs ot MCs of the pack. I think that's part of their problem: they are still acting as Cub Scout leaders. So these are folks we know. Good folks, but they don't understand BOY Scouts (all caps emphasis in this post ;) ).

Schiff,

I hate to say it, I didn't think of unhitching the trailer. I was kinda stunned about the situation. And I SHOULD have remembered they could have done that since the SM forgot the awards for the COH and had to leave camp to pick them up at his house. That's when I found out the troop was having a COH, when I asked where the SM was and was told to pick up the awards.

Resqman,

I know one Scout is committed to that troop because his dad is an MC and his brother is either SPL or ASPL. And I know 1 parent has a history with the troop my son is joining: the Troop's CC was his SM and the current SM was his ASM back in the day. I think that the hope among many is he can turn it around. Some told me it takes 7 years and everyone to create a good troop, but 7 minutes and 1 person to destroy it.

Fred,

As I mentioned, the Cub Scout folks moving to the troop do know the leaders as they were involved with the pack. There were concerns when it was announced who the new SM would be because the pack CC, who became CM when he left, was the one who kept the pack from falling apart.

Despite the fact that they have canceled camp outs, have not participated in district events in over a year, have major problems when they do go camping and have lost boys over the past year, the parents are happy because the meetings are focused on MBs, and the Scouts are in a "Hi speed,low drag." unit. A complete 180 degree turn from where the troop was prior to the SM taking over. Interesting that one kid has 6 MBs within a year, but just got his 2nd Class rank this month. And no, he didn't go to summer camp.

Like I said this situation is really affecting me. I've helped the troop when they were getting started, got to know some of the scouts, helped train the old SM, etc. And there is another reason why I am torn. I was asked to be the SM of the troop and had to refuse it because of my sons in Cub Scouts. I know the old SM is not trying to guilt trip me whenever he says, " The troop wouldn't be so [fouled] up if you would have taken over as SM," But part of me does in fact feel some guilt. But part of me knows I couldn't do it, and it would hurt my kids.

Now the situation is so bad, when it did look like the current SM would be stepping down (he's not) I actually thought about being SM for the troop. But I think the troop needs so much work, that my oldest son would not benefit at all, and maybe not the younger two either. I think it may need to be completely restarted from scratch.

Like I said this situation is really affecting me. I've helped the troop when they were getting started, got to know some of the scouts, helped train the old SM, etc. And there is another reason why I am torn. I was asked to be the SM of the troop and had to refuse it because of my sons in Cub Scouts. I know the old SM is not trying to guilt trip me whenever he says, " The troop wouldn't be so [fouled] up if you would have taken over as SM," But part of me does in fact feel some guilt. But part of me knows I couldn't do it, and it would hurt my kids.

Now the situation is so bad, when it did look like the current SM would be stepping down (he's not) I actually thought about being SM for the troop. But I think the troop needs so much work, that my oldest son would not benefit at all, and maybe not the younger two either. I think it may need to be completely restarted from scratch.

Those that fail to plan, plan to fail.

Adults and boys all need to sit down and work out a plan of action towards a specific goal. Sounds like everyone is pulling their own agenda cords in different directions.

Gotta get everyone on the same page! Those that don't want to work out the situation can be politely asked to leave and those remaining dedicate themselves to working it through.

UC and boy-led, patrol-method training will go a long way to solve a lot of the problems mentioned. It's a BOY Scout program, if the adults can't figure it out, let the boys have a chance at it. What's it gonna hurt? Can't get any worse.

Stosh

Stosh,

I think this is the irony. The troop sent 3 scouts to NYLT. They were pumped and ready to go. I was even asked about the district calendar so that they can plan the year. And that was the last I heard of it. I have a feeling SM doesn't want to plan events until after his son's soccer schedules comes out.

Stosh,

I think this is the irony. The troop sent 3 scouts to NYLT. They were pumped and ready to go. I was even asked about the district calendar so that they can plan the year. And that was the last I heard of it. I have a feeling SM doesn't want to plan events until after his son's soccer schedules comes out.

The SM that took over after I was let go in my last troop had 3 boys of his own in the troop. It doesn't take a crystal ball to see where that one is going.

Happens all the time. The nice thing about me is that I have no family agenda, my boy hasn't been in scouts for 20 years. What one does is FOR THE BOYS, not just MINE!

Stosh