Told with the right inflection and right vocal tone ( somewhere between Vincent Price and James Earl Jones) it's quite the tale, especially for Cub Scouts that like scary/silly stories. It's also the only story you'll ever need in your quiver because 95% of the time, you'll never be asked to tell another story. I have heard a lot of groans, mostly from adults, but no one has ever suggested a firing squad before.

When I first learned the story, it was just the first three lines repeated over an over again until the audience finally "put the hook in". I was invited to tell a story at a Snap Apple night (a Scottish/Appalachian American Halloween bonfire) and just knew this was the one but that I had to modify and beef it up a bit. The professional storytellers (wow, people get paid to tell stories around campfires!) loved it, the audience thought it was a hoot - just long enough to hold interest, and it wasn't the only groaner told. It got a big laugh and garnered some nice applause. It got a bigger laugh when a 7 year old boy asked his mommy who Caspar was (sigh).

I'm also lucky that I do have the voice for this kind of story - I'm told my reading of The Raven sends chills up peoples spine (though no one could ever do that story better than James Earl Jones).

And yes, I'm well aware that it is 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back - but I posted it at work so at least I got paid for it.