Should Scouts have a voice at the District Level?

A few months back, our Council office made the decision to combine 2 Districts into one super District. This prompted the need to name the new District, as we couldn't use either of the two older Districts. At the time of renaming the District, we were instructed that our District leaders (chairs, member at large, etc) were to offer names, and then the following month, the chairs and members at large were to vote in the new District name.

I asked whether it wouldn't be more appropriate for the District to place a cutoff date on name offerings, in order to take the names to the Scout meeting, take a Scout vote on the names, and represent the Scout unit on their decision (in an electoral college sort of way). My thought process is that we strive to use Patrol method; we expect the Scouts to create their program, we teach Citizenship to the Scouts, and this is a great opportunity to allow the Scouts a voice in the naming of their new District, as well as to teach them about the Scouting world that is greater then their own individual units.

When presenting this idea to the District leadership, I was told that "this can't happen; its not the way things are run in a District; the adult leadership in the District are the voting power and the Scouts shouldn't be involved. It would undermine the adult leadership structure in the District." (I took the District name suggestions to the Scouts; let them vote, told our unit leadership who were to be in attendance which name the Scout voted for, and we voted in their behalf.)

This leads to the real question that I've been wondering about since this happened... Do any other Districts out there in he National Scouting community involve the Scouts in District decisions? One area in which I am interested is Camp-O-Rees... Do the Districts have a representative from Scout Troops come in (IE. OA, or individual unit boy leadership, such as a boy District representative) to plan and orchestrate District events, such as Camp-O-Rees, WEBELOS Woods, loop-a-ramas, etc.

This question is asked, because in our District, the adults plan the Camp-O-Rees, etc, and run them. The Cub Scout events are planned by the adults, and Boy Scouts are asked to come help run stations at the events.

If we are promoting that Boy Scouts should be planning the programming, should we, as Scout Districts, be promoting that a boy representative have a voice at the District level, as well as through helping make decisions, helping plan and orchestrate District level events?

A follow-up for those who believe that there should be boy representation at the District level... Should this representation be considered a leadership position; much as OA representatives be considered a leadership position...

You want your Scouts to have a say in your District? What does your Charter Organization Representative (COR) do?

From BSA National website -

"The Boy Scouts of America, in its relationship with chartered organizations, depends on the COR to be the liaison between the local council and the organization. As the representative of the organization, you have the responsibility to share information between the council and the organization and vice versa. In fact, you are a voting member of the district and council. The council is a grassroots organization in that there are more CORs than council members at large. So the control of the council belongs to the chartered organizations."

If you want your Scouts to have more of a say in your District you need to get your COR involved in your Troop, and your District/Council.

As for Boy Scout, and Cub Scout activities such as Camporees, and Webelos Woods - these events, like just about everything else in a BSA council, are run by adult volunteers. In most cases, those adult volunteers will utilize a LOT of Boy Scout help, and in many cases Scout input as well.

• Downvote 1

Hey Scoutnut, I see what you are saying regarding COR, but in our District, COR's have not traditionally been a part of District meetings. This has been the culture since I became a Scouter (2007). Generally speaking, our District leadership is generally made up primarily of Unit committee members, unit programming staff, and a few "District only" Scouters. When I initially brought up the Scouts voting on naming the District, I was advised to approach the District chair (community leader) who advised that Adult leaders that serve as District members should be the voting party, but "allow time for due diligence in addressing this question more." After this statement, nothing else ever came back from the District chair.

We, as Unit Scouters, who are also District Scouters are the District "owners," in charge of planning, communications, logistics, etc., but nobody in the District (since I've been around), brings in Scout input, nor has anyone suggested having the Scouts do more to help with the District planning, other than being youth counselors at Cub Day camp programs and WEBELOS Woods. I am considering advocating for more Scout voice, and possibly make this a ticket item, if/ when I go through Wood Badge, but I'm not sure if my thinking is too far into left field in thinking that the Scout (boys) should have more investment at the District level...

I like sentinel's district's approach.

The problem SMs will have with expecting boy's to have input at a district level is the same problem they have when boys get into organizing district/council/area activities via OA and Venturing. It takes the boys' time and energy away from the troop.

Making troops rotate into district responsibilities blunts that edge by making a district event one or two troops projects.

As far as district naming rights go, it depends on how much the boys "own" their district. My youth have no clue as to our district's name. When our councils merged; however, we had a naming contest and a patch-design contest and expressly sought youth input via an E-mail campaign. It built a lot of enthusiasm for what was in fact a very tedious restructuring.

• Downvote 1

Our district is similar to Sentinel's.. A lot of times the OA has run the camporees, but half the time it is a troop (or 2 or 3 small troops working together).. OA just fills in whenever the district can't find a host Troop(s), so ends up doing it more times then any one troop. When our troop ran two, the scouts go to design everything from what the theme would be, what activities to what the design on the patch would be..The adults got the fun stuff of figuring out porta-potties etc..

When our our area was re-districted (for the fourth time in 6 years), the PTB asked local Scout Units to ask their Scouts for ideas as to a name. The newby tempo district committee took the five or six name nominations (from adult and youth) and chose one and then asked the units for picture ideas for a district "patch". That was pretty much chosen the same way. The Council had some slush fund money to use for the creation of neckers and award patches for commissioners and such, which were passed out at the last District award dinner for the "old" districts. We now have three Districts in a Region where there used to be one BIG District where before that we had 6(!) Districts where we had three where before we had 2 where before we had one...

Camporees and Klondikes and such are an adhoc thing. Camporees and Webelos Weekends and such are scheduled months if not years in advance, and it is made known that a sponsoring Troop is needed. Sometimes a small Troop will take on the task and take on a partnership with another small Troop, sometimes a large experienced Troop takes it on. Sometimes a neighboring District will sponsor an event and make it available to the others in our Region. The big Troops in our District are mostly boy-led, and do a neat job of the events, eliciting help and participation from the other Troops and Crews.

CADC is a seperate thing. Each District has a cadre of Cub Leaders and a CD that takes care of it. Seems to work. The folks that like doing it are the ones that cultivate the next bunch of CSDC organizers.

• Downvote 1

OA Chapter Chief and District VOA president are the youth representatives on a district committee. grant you I've never seen a district VOA pres, and the last time a CC showed up with the OA chapter advisor, the adults behaved so badly that the CA and CC both said, "Never again."

• Downvote 1

Hey Qwazse, Your points are issues that I struggle with in my mind... How do I promote OA/ District interest in the Scouts, and help other Scouters promote these interests as well? I believe, theoretically, that OA should enhance a Scout's interest in the Troop... Learn the leadership skills to bring back to the Troop level for the betterment of the Troop. I believe that investment in the District helps open the boy's eyes to the world greater than their own individual unit (and I believe Venturing is primarily for the Scouts who A. Don't get much high adventure activity at the Troop level, or B. Are ready to move to the "next level" of leadership opportunity- working in a co-ed setting.

If the Adults can do the extra by being at the Troop level, while juggling family, job, community obligations, other interests, etc, and have learned the time management skills to do so; isn't this also a valuable tool that we should be teaching the youth who are ready to move to the next level of leadership skill- appropriate time management, without over committing oneself?

These questions are not challenges, but more so contradicting thoughts that I am having within myself in how much to encourage a Scout(s) to do within the program...

I struggle with OA involvement. I promote it, support elections, etc. But most of our scouts just don't get much out of OA other than the ordeal and/or brotherhood.

Our district does have troops host district camporees and special events. When hosting, the scouts in that unit are given a very special experience to plan and coordinate the event. It is a great experience for the scouts.

Other than units hosting district events, I do NOT think scouts should have regular leadership responsibility at the district level. If they really want to be or if their special situation would benefit, fine. But I just don't think district leadership is something to design into the youth program.

With that said there is something that has been discussed in our district that I wish would take off.

LOCAL IDEA - Local district roundtable scout breakouts for SPL and PLs and other with leadership roles. Unit leadership changes at least once a year or sometimes more often. It would be great if every month the district held youth breakouts. You could have four or so major topics per year that are gone over: Leading people, planning and coordinating, getting out and doing things and special topics. SPLs and PLs could be encouraged to attend roundtable to learn in their breakouts and to hear the monthly large group announcements.

• Downvote 1

My SPL attended Roundtables all the time. His input was as important as anyone else's. He didn't show up just to go off with the OA guys in another room. He stayed with the SM/ASM's. As the adults planned district activities they always would take into consideration what he had to say about what he thought the boys would like. Only one ever questioned his presence at the meetings and yet never brought their own SPL's. I had one person early on ask why I brought my SPL and I said, that we were boy led and he was just doing his job. He smiled and the subject never came up again.

Stosh

• Downvote 1
My SPL attended Roundtables all the time. His input was as important as anyone else's. He didn't show up just to go off with the OA guys in another room. He stayed with the SM/ASM's. As the adults planned district activities they always would take into consideration what he had to say about what he thought the boys would like. Only one ever questioned his presence at the meetings and yet never brought their own SPL's. I had one person early on ask why I brought my SPL and I said, that we were boy led and he was just doing his job. He smiled and the subject never came up again.

Stosh

Glad your SPL had that reception. I was a registered member of the district committee, but the youngest one at 21. And I was told by several I don't know what I was doing, and was never listened to. yet if one of my friends said it, it was BRILLIANT!

Must be that 3 Charisma I have.

Hey Qwazse, Your points are issues that I struggle with in my mind... How do I promote OA/ District interest in the Scouts, and help other Scouters promote these interests as well? I believe, theoretically, that OA should enhance a Scout's interest in the Troop... Learn the leadership skills to bring back to the Troop level for the betterment of the Troop. I believe that investment in the District helps open the boy's eyes to the world greater than their own individual unit (and I believe Venturing is primarily for the Scouts who A. Don't get much high adventure activity at the Troop level, or B. Are ready to move to the "next level" of leadership opportunity- working in a co-ed setting.

If the Adults can do the extra by being at the Troop level, while juggling family, job, community obligations, other interests, etc, and have learned the time management skills to do so; isn't this also a valuable tool that we should be teaching the youth who are ready to move to the next level of leadership skill- appropriate time management, without over committing oneself?

These questions are not challenges, but more so contradicting thoughts that I am having within myself in how much to encourage a Scout(s) to do within the program...

Why should you have to promote the OA?

If it is worth anything in your council the boys will want to join, If it isn't well then it needs to go away.