Hi, I'm Eagle92 and I am a Recovering Cub Scout Leader :)-

Ok, this post is part in jest, part laughing at myself, and part a plea for help.:p

So I found out which summer camp my oldest's troop will be going to. Since SWMBO A) questions whether he really needs to go or not and B) has stated I WILL be attending camp with me (an aside, yes the wife is kicking me out the house for a week if son goes to summer camp, AND I WAS GOING TO "DISCUSS" THIS WITH HER?!?!?! What was I thinking), I decided to do some research on costs and stuff the camp offers.

So the first thing I do is look at costs, which are reasonable. Then I move to MBs. Ok I turned into typical CS leader turne dBS leader and said, 'Ok First Aid and Swimming MBs don't overlap." Then I started commenting on the side of the printout, i.e. 'Fun but challenging (Archery) "HECK YEAH!" beside the Scoutcraft ones, "HECK NO" next to the citizenships, "NNNNOOOOOOO!?!?!?!?!?" next to the restrictions on Climbing, etc.

Then I realized, when is free boating, shooting, etc? Had to talk to a coworker who's been there to find out the answers.

Then I caught myself, Realizing that it's HIS summer camp expereince, he decides what to take. Yes I can encourage him to take First Aid and Swimming, but he needs to decide what he want to do.

So I showed him the info tonite and he said 'Wow, it looks like lots of fun." I think he's going to have some tough decisions to make.

Except for the "paper pushing" MBs. He can do those outside of summer camp ;)

No, your Scoutson doesn't "need to go". He doesn't have to move out and get a job, he doesn't have to complete school, he doesn't have to explore the rest of the world outside the walls of his home, either. You, my scouter friend, DO have to go to camp and watch from a distance as your boy grows his wings longer and stronger. Go for a canoe paddle with him, do the Polar Bear swim with him, but let it be WITH him not FOR him. He'll see his dad as someone to come back to, not run away from.

How do you like your coffee?

• Upvote 1

Qwazse,

I'm told they are "terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future." :)

SSScout,

Paddle with him?!?!?! No, no,no, he has to paddle ME while I sit amidships drinking my cafe au lait (gotta have coffee with chicory to get it right ;) ) Hopefully I won't be in a situation where I'm screaming "PADDLE OR DIE!" ( and yes, caps to emphasize shouting at the top of my lungs to my frozen with fear canoe partner in 3-4 foot seas.)

Knowing my luck, I'll be assigned to lifeguard duties if he does Mile Swim and Polar Bear. :(

No, your Scoutson doesn't "need to go". He doesn't have to move out and get a job, he doesn't have to complete school, he doesn't have to explore the rest of the world outside the walls of his home, either. You, my scouter friend, DO have to go to camp and watch from a distance as your boy grows his wings longer and stronger. Go for a canoe paddle with him, do the Polar Bear swim with him, but let it be WITH him not FOR him. He'll see his dad as someone to come back to, not run away from.

How do you like your coffee?

It's harder to send the oldest son to summer camp than a younger son. He's the experiment, and has to experience it. I camp with the troop on a regular basis. Until my sons were in leadership (i.e ASPL and SPL), I rarely spoke with them outside of the trip to and from the campout. (Troop tradition is that the SPL and ASPL have their choice of which patrol to eat with, that includes the adult patrol). I purposefully didn't go to Summer camp with my boys each of their first years at summer camp. Didn't go until the oldest's fourth, and the youngest's third, and then only for a few days. This next summer, we are going to Camp Daniel Boone, which is at least an 8 hr drive. I will go for the week--I haven't camped in the mountains in years.

Peri,

Oldest isn't the problem, He has expressed some interest. I am betting when he starts talking to the Boy Scouts about summer camp, he will be pumped. Heck when I show him photos of various summer camps, he wants in.

SHMBO is the problem. She never experienced a overnight summer camp program; all her camping expereince was with her family growing up. She see the costs and says that we can send all 3 boys to various 1/2 day long day camps for 2 or 3 weeks. Also she is the one "forcing" me to go to summer camp :) She told me "I know what goes on at summer camp (referring to the various camp staff shenanigans), I don't want him involved in them." Problem with having a wife help out at summer camp on her days off; She only gets the staff view of things, which doesn't affect the campers (unless you use the New Scout Program's orienteering course to hide the four wheels of the CD's jeep in retaliation for him putting the live crabs in the staff shower house, but I digress).

Again I was planning on discussing the matter with her, when 2 of my friends pointed out that A) she is willingly sending me to camp for the entire week and B) just becasue I am at camp doesn't mean I have to shadow him all the time (I don't do that now. Heck if I tried shadowing him at the local scout camp, he could easily lose me as he knows the place better than I do ;) ) So "WHY DO YOU PLAN TO ARGUE WITH HER" (caps to show speakers' emphasis to me, not shouting at you ).They mentioned I could do my own thing, like sitting in camp drinking coffee and reading books, working on the SM's MB, help teach classes I am an MBC in etc.

Eagle92, I meant that it's hardest with SWMBO to send the oldest to summer camp.

When I camp with the troop, I certainly don't shadow my sons. I rarely speak to them on the campout, we usually talk on the car ride along with any other passengers.

Hmmm. I would tell her a big part of Summer Camp for the first time is being away from home and all those comforts for that long. It is an important part of growing up and a lot of Mom's have a problem with the separation. Oh course every year there are a couple of boys that have issues with that too. It is also a great opportunity for boys to do Merit Badges that are hard for Troops to put on.

Making you go? I see a lot of that too. I usually went, mostly to lend a hand since my special needs boy took up more of the Scout Masters attention. I would see him a couple times a day, usually walking to Flag or Dining Hall (or he needed money). I think your wife, like mine, just needs some assurance that you will be around just in case. I would just go, realx, and have fun. I used to use the opportunity to take some training and talk shop with other Scouters.

As SM, my last items on my to-do list are:

1) stopping by the Library and picking up a good half dozen books.

2) stopping by the grocery store for coffee.

3) stopping by and picking up the boys.

:)

Stosh

Hmmm. I would tell her a big part of Summer Camp for the first time is being away from home and all those comforts for that long. It is an important part of growing up and a lot of Mom's have a problem with the separation. Oh course every year there are a couple of boys that have issues with that too. It is also a great opportunity for boys to do Merit Badges that are hard for Troops to put on.

Making you go? I see a lot of that too. I usually went, mostly to lend a hand since my special needs boy took up more of the Scout Masters attention. I would see him a couple times a day, usually walking to Flag or Dining Hall (or he needed money). I think your wife, like mine, just needs some assurance that you will be around just in case. I would just go, realx, and have fun. I used to use the opportunity to take some training and talk shop with other Scouters.

My Son#2 didn't even stop for money. He realized that every patrol had a boy who would pay him to clean their griddle. :p

Son #2 and buddy surprised us on their first Camp by enthusiastically volunteering to clean the outdoor latrine. It was worth going to see that in person!
Good one, Stosh! It can take a while to learn that. My first year at camp, my son came up to ask me something "Dad.." One of the experienced ASM's stopped him and said, "Dad's not here. This is Mr. so and so. Go ask your patrol leader."
Our Troop T-Shirt for adults has a flow chart on the back that the boys are to reference before they ask a question:

Is it food?

- try tabasco

Is it gear?

- try duct tape

Is the answer in your handbook?

Did you ask your Patrol leader?

Did you ask the Senior Patrol Leader?

Did you ask a member of the Venture Crew?

Are you really sure you don't already know the answer?

- Go ahead and wake-up the Scoutmaster

Good one, Stosh! It can take a while to learn that. My first year at camp, my son came up to ask me something "Dad.." One of the experienced ASM's stopped him and said, "Dad's not here. This is Mr. so and so. Go ask your patrol leader."
I love it Horizon.