Webelos Questions

First I have a question about the artist construction requirement. Can this be anything they make or design or does it have to be a sculpture of sorts? I had an idea to take square glass votive holders and modpodge some tissue paper cut outs onto it to give as a Christmas gift. My boys all earned the Craftsman badge at Day Camp this year so I was thinking we could use this for the artist construction requirement. Would this work?

Also I have a parent/committee member who is having issues with the boys bridging over to boy scouts next Feb after Blue and Gold (they will be Sr Webelos then) if they have achieved their Arrow of Light. I went to PowWow this year and took the Webelos leader program 3 hour training. They discussed that the Webelos Program is meant to be an 18 month program and if done correctly the boys should have their arrow of light by their Blue and Gold ceremony in their SR Webelos year. Well so far we are on track to have that completed since all 8 of my Webelos attended Day Camp this year and are also planning to go this coming year. It has never been done this way in our pack and the boys always bridge over to Boy Scouts at Cross-over in April/May. She feels that doing by Blue and Gold and having them join the Troop then feels like pushing them out and they won't be able to do anything Cub Scout in the Spring. I didn't know what to say. I told her this is the way the program is set up and having them bridge over after they earn their Arrow of Light will allow them to start fundraising early for their first year for Boy Scout Summer Camp and allow them to get to know the troop members and such before. She is pretty adamant we shouldn't do it this way and continue with having them bridge over at Cross-over even though they will have earned their arrow of light and its pretty pointless to keep doing cub scout stuff when they could be working on Boy Scout stuff. I'm not sure what to say - I've talked to our Cub Master (who is also the Troop Master) and he feels that it is fine to have them join in Feb and actually likes this idea. Any advice on how to handle this parent (who is also the committee chair)?

Thanks.

We cross our second year Webelos/AOL Scouts over in January. This gives them time to adjust to Troop life, and get some Troop camping under their belt before Summer Camp. Our Webelos meet through the summer, so no issues getting everything accomplished before crossover. The Cubmaster and the Webelos DL, in conjunction with the Scoutmaster, should make the call, not the CC (I am a former CM and current CC of a pack). The CC (and the committee as a whole) job is to support the CM and DL's in running the pack. A meeting of the minds is in order, and the CM and WDL need to inform the CC that the boys will be crossing over sooner rather than later.

Flammable votive holders! The boys will love it! ;)

Most troops are ready to welcome first-years anytime between February and May. Crossing over earlier does give the boys more time to make friends with the older boys in the troop. (Also, if it's a bad fit for anyone, he'll have a little time to try a different troop before summer.) They do miss out on cub activities for the spring. Although, really, there's nothing preventing the boys from participating in any of their favorite activities. But practically, an active scout won't have time to spare for both and there may be scheduling conflicts on top of that.

Here's a novel thought: ask your boys what they want to do. In January, compare the pack's spring calendar with the troop's spring calendar. Have the boys understand if they choose one they'll probably miss the other, but let them know you all will support whatever they decide. Listen to what they think. Act accordingly.

• Upvote 1
Flammable votive holders! The boys will love it! ;)

Most troops are ready to welcome first-years anytime between February and May. Crossing over earlier does give the boys more time to make friends with the older boys in the troop. (Also, if it's a bad fit for anyone, he'll have a little time to try a different troop before summer.) They do miss out on cub activities for the spring. Although, really, there's nothing preventing the boys from participating in any of their favorite activities. But practically, an active scout won't have time to spare for both and there may be scheduling conflicts on top of that.

Here's a novel thought: ask your boys what they want to do. In January, compare the pack's spring calendar with the troop's spring calendar. Have the boys understand if they choose one they'll probably miss the other, but let them know you all will support whatever they decide. Listen to what they think. Act accordingly.

I have the Webelos boys crossover whenever they want.

Cub Scouts should not be deciding when the boys cross over into Boy Scouts, that's the boys' decision.

Stosh

My old den is now Webelos IIs and are chomping at the bit to join their troops in 11 days (Who's counting :)- ) One of my guys is so anxious, last nite at his last pack meeting, he was wearing his green BS belt, had his Webelos badge and tri colors off, and you could only tell he was still a Cub by the blue loops.

Only reason we didn't cross them over last nite was because the troop 5 of them are joining asked to do the ceremony on one of their camp outs.

On a different note, troop my son is joining will have him "Cross Over" that Saturday Nite with the rest of the den. BUT he has to turn over his necker and slide because they are going to do a Scout Investiture or Induction Ceremony at their Court of Honor Monday Nite.

Seems the SM didn't realize some old fogeys like myself still remember those ceremonies.

So for the boys that have achieved arrow of light but decide they don't want to cross over what do we do at the meetings after Blue and Gold?
Here's a novel thought: ***ask your boys what they want to do.***

Okay, so I don't know how to preserve my original formatting, but you get the idea. If they want to stay in the pack, there's gonna be a reason. Maybe there's an activity that they didn't get to do. Maybe there's something they want to do one last time. Maybe there's a troop they didn't get a chance to visit. You've trained them. Let them lead. You might just find yourself having fun.

First I have a question about the artist construction requirement. Can this be anything they make or design or does it have to be a sculpture of sorts? I had an idea to take square glass votive holders and modpodge some tissue paper cut outs onto it to give as a Christmas gift. My boys all earned the Craftsman badge at Day Camp this year so I was thinking we could use this for the artist construction requirement. Would this work?

Read your Webelos Handbook. It is pretty specific on just what "Constructions" are.

From pg 119 - Webelos Handbook - Artist -

Constructions are fun. You “build†a sculpture, using all sorts of objects. For the base, start with a handful of clay or a piece of wood. Collect odds and ends you’d like to combine. These might be scrap items, things you've saved, things no one wants. Ideas: tongue depressors, ice cream sticks, toothpicks, bits of wood; buttons, cloth, yarn, spools, string; plastic spoons, forks, and knives; wire, chicken wire, screen wire, pipe cleaners, chenille stems, corks; straws, keys, bottle caps, egg cartons (you can cut shapes from them); seed pods, pine cones, nuts, sticks, seashells.

We used to call these "Genius Kits" or "Recycle Kits". They made for a great activity at a Pack meeting! We would give the boys a theme to base their "construction" on. It helps them to visualize what a pile of "junk" can become. Something like - a new invention that had to have a distinct purpose - a space ship - something magic - something that does something - etc.

We would get paper grocery bags and put in various "things". Make sure to add something that can be used as a base of sorts. Some we used were foam meat trays, Styrofoam piece, piece of plywood, plastic tub. The only rules were you could only use the bag, and what was in it. You did not have to use everything. We made sure to include things like tacks, string, wire, etc. We also provided glue that could be used.

So for the boys that have achieved arrow of light but decide they don't want to cross over what do we do at the meetings after Blue and Gold?
As a 2 1/2 yr former Webelos leader, I would have had the boys who want to stay on work with the younger Webelos den under those circumstances. My general observation is that those that didn't crossover weren't that gung ho anyway.

If the B&G is to be anything more than an excuse to eat, than the Crossover is a very good thing to do. Work things out with the Troop(s) involved. No reason why more than one Troop can't come to accept their boys. The AoL is their "Eagle" after all. They could earn more Elective points (oh, wait.... there are no epoints in Webelos!) but mebbe not.. Ask the local OA chapter to do the ceremony, this can be really impressive if done right.

You are correct in thinking that the Cubs will want to get into Boy Scouting when they have run thru the Cub program. Other than as the Senior Scouts of their Pack (teach the younger Cubs how to do things? Demo flag ceremonies, etc.?) they have little to keep them. As for the CChair who doesn't want to "let go", I would ask her if she wants the Webs to stay for HER sake, THEIR sake, or the PACKS sake. There is no "official" reason. Once they are 10 1/2, going into the 6th grade, earned the AoL, they can be on their way and God speed.

As Boy Scouts, there is no reason why they can't come back occassionally to visit, if they want and if you invite them. And in a year, after they have a rank or two and some Scout experience under their belts, the Pack can always use some Den Chiefs, right? "doing anything Cub Scout in the Spring" sounds like a mom who wishes her little boy would never get his size 11 hiking boots. They can still do "Cub Scout" stuff.... help out at the CSDC, help corral the Cubs at the next service project, be Den Walker Helpers until they are old enough to qualify as Scout Helpers at the camp. One has to realize , that to KEEP the boys in Scouting, one has to enlarge the corral they are running around in.

Good Scouting to you, and thanks for your service to our boys.

Artist Jean Tinguely made self-destructive art pieces. It was an out growth of Dada-ism (absurb art). I once saw a performance piece in Miami where a machine basically twirled itself apart to music. Was it Art? Who cares--it was fun as heck to watch. I did think boys would did that.

(Sorry I used to be an Art major).

I assume you are the WDL. So when you fold the den flag in March, what is said parent/committee member going to do for den meetings? I suggest he/she pound sand.

Your training is correct, Crossover should occur in the early spring and for a very practical reason: it allows the boys to join the troop, get settled, get a few campouts under their belts and, most importantly, get to know the older Scouts prior to summer camp. The alternative is to continue in the pack until "graduation" in late May or early June, join the troop, go to three meetings and take off for a week at Boy Scout camp with a bunch of stranger and without any training or experience. Ask the parent if he/she sees any advantages or disadvantages to either approach.

Look, you're dealing with a parent who just doesn't want to let go. They want to snuggle in the last few warm fuzzy months of Cub Scouts as long as they can. Boy Scout troops are for teenagers, for heaven's sake and their Sweet Tender Thing couldn't possibly be associated with those furry, foul-smelling adolescents. I deal with two or three of them a year. Usually they are easy to spot because their boys are the ones most eager to get the heck away from mom and dad. Stick to your guns, you're doing right by the Scouts. Get the CM/SM's help on this. A thorough parent's orientation to the Scout Troop will help, but the only real solution is for the boy to become a typical insolent, smart aleck 13-year-old so that the PARENT wants to get them out of the house.

Our pack has always crossed in February. This year it's my son crossing and he's chomping at the bit to get to boyscouts.
I just spent a week "discussing" with the feeder Pack that boys that want to get into Boy Scouts and are qualified shouldn't be held back by the Pack. Last Monday I had a single boy crossover. His buddies' parents didn't press the issue and thus are still in the Pack waiting for the traditional crossover.

To me the crossover will always be a welcome ceremony by the Troop in the Pack setting.

If boys are qualified for Boy Scouts, and they want to join up, only the boy should be determining when that happens, not the Pack.

Stosh

If the B&G is to be anything more than an excuse to eat, than the Crossover is a very good thing to do. Work things out with the Troop(s) involved. No reason why more than one Troop can't come to accept their boys. The AoL is their "Eagle" after all. They could earn more Elective points (oh, wait.... there are no epoints in Webelos!) but mebbe not.. Ask the local OA chapter to do the ceremony, this can be really impressive if done right.

You are correct in thinking that the Cubs will want to get into Boy Scouting when they have run thru the Cub program. Other than as the Senior Scouts of their Pack (teach the younger Cubs how to do things? Demo flag ceremonies, etc.?) they have little to keep them. As for the CChair who doesn't want to "let go", I would ask her if she wants the Webs to stay for HER sake, THEIR sake, or the PACKS sake. There is no "official" reason. Once they are 10 1/2, going into the 6th grade, earned the AoL, they can be on their way and God speed.

As Boy Scouts, there is no reason why they can't come back occassionally to visit, if they want and if you invite them. And in a year, after they have a rank or two and some Scout experience under their belts, the Pack can always use some Den Chiefs, right? "doing anything Cub Scout in the Spring" sounds like a mom who wishes her little boy would never get his size 11 hiking boots. They can still do "Cub Scout" stuff.... help out at the CSDC, help corral the Cubs at the next service project, be Den Walker Helpers until they are old enough to qualify as Scout Helpers at the camp. One has to realize , that to KEEP the boys in Scouting, one has to enlarge the corral they are running around in.

Good Scouting to you, and thanks for your service to our boys.

No elective points, but they could keep earning activity pins until they had all 20.