I just don't see any benefit either. But I see a whole bunch of risks and problems. adults not staying at a distance. Reducing the independence of the scouts.
That happens with or without these sorts of positions.

I've only done this from the perspective of assisting the SM.

I suppose if I were to request helper adults, I wouldn't call them patrol dads or advisors. I'd use the term consultants, and build a list for the boys similar to what I do with my venturers. They'd be available to the patrol for a particular program or activity. "Need kayaks? Talk to mr Stosh, here's his number." "Mrs X got trained and can chaperon if you give her advanced notice."

That sort of thing.

The main thing I tell adult leaders: Be available. Don't act until called upon. I'll have our coffee ready momentarily.

I just don't see any benefit either. But I see a whole bunch of risks and problems. adults not staying at a distance. Reducing the independence of the scouts.
I never have a problem with adults supporting the activity of the scouts. But the emphasis always remains on supporting, not doing. Every scouter needs to be first of all a teacher, helping the boys do for themselves, not doing it for them. A lot of parents have no idea what that means.

This concept is the first thing I teach my boys and expect every adult to follow. "What can I do, if anything, to help?", but used only if the boys seem to be struggling with something. "No, I won't do that for you, but I have a couple of suggestions you might want to consider to get the job done...."

In Boy Scouts when it comes to adults, they never have problems. They help the boys with their problems. Ownership always stays with the boys as does the solution. When a child is small, the parent solves the child's problems, they're hungry, you feed them, they're cold, you put on more clothes, etc. By the time they're 18, the parent should have taught them to do all these things for themselves and their future children. We have too many parents that don't do this and then can't figure out why they don't move out of their house.

Qwazse, you have a good start, but I wouldn't offer as many "solutions". You need Kayaks? What do you think adults do when they need kayaks?" If you say, "Talk to Mr. Stosh.... " then you are solving their problem and not teaching them how to creatively figure it out on their own. The SPL should have a list of adults that can help and it's up to the PL's to start making phone calls if they need something. Maybe the phrase, "Mr. Stosh owns a kayak, maybe he could help. Mr. Stosh's phone number should be on the troop roster, if you need that." Every time an adult does something for the boys, they steal an opportunity to learn and lead.

Stosh

The editor keeps kicking me out. Wish me luck on this fourth attempt. There are many leader styles that accomplish similar goals with the similar degrees of a boy run. Used correctly, patrol dads, or whatever you call them, give a PL more freedom and independence to lead the patrol. That for me means more growth and experience. Troop environments are great for allowing patrols to be creative and spontaneous, but the outside world is not so friendly to boys. An adult resource is one tool the PL can use to help with those kinds of challenges with activities independent of the troop. Some SMs like to hold closer control of the PLs than others and I'm sure that works. But that is just one of many successful leadership styles. Barry

The editor keeps kicking me out. Wish me luck on this fourth attempt. There are many leader styles that accomplish similar goals with the similar degrees of a boy run. Used correctly, patrol dads, or whatever you call them, give a PL more freedom and independence to lead the patrol. That for me means more growth and experience. Troop environments are great for allowing patrols to be creative and spontaneous, but the outside world is not so friendly to boys. An adult resource is one tool the PL can use to help with those kinds of challenges with activities independent of the troop. Some SMs like to hold closer control of the PLs than others and I'm sure that works. But that is just one of many successful leadership styles. Barry
"The editor keeps kicking me out". This happens to me if I forget to check the Remember Me box [ ] when I log in.