I have an SA in our troop who earned the AOL as a youth and I would like to get him (officially) the "Christmas" knot for his uniform. If I ask the Council to look into his youth records (without the individuals permission) will they do it for me or will confidentiality prevent it? I'd like to surprise the individual at our next COH.

As a backup, I could just purchase the knot, give it to him and have him do an official "registration" at a later date but I would like to get everything taken care of up front. Comments?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Christmas Knot," but I think you're referring to the James E. West fellowship.

If you are, I add my thanks to Bob White's.

When you call your council service center and ask about the Scouter's record, tell them what you're up to. They'll keep it confidential and release the information.

If you get any static:

If you're in the Pontiac area, ask for Pat Keenan (Finance Director) and tell him you've been talking to me and what you're looking for. Tell him I approve. He'll help you. If he doesn't, ask him to call me.

If you're in Ann Arbor, ask for Todd Wordell (Assistant Scout Executive.) Tell Todd that you've been talking for me and what you're looking for. Tell him I approve. He'll help you. If he doesn't, tell him to call me and I'll verify.

If you're not in those two places, I'm sorry I can't help you.

In any case, there is no youth or adult Scouting background required to be a James E. West fellow. $1,000 given to the endowment fund is required. Still, it's nice to be able to list a person's accomplishments as justification for the gift when it is given.

I hope this helps.

DS

Thanks for the correction.

Either way, the names above in the councils I mentioned will work. If they have the records, they will give them. Use my name if necessary.

If they don't have the records, there's not much I can do to help

Dave