I'm ashamed....well not really

I live in South Florida where we wear the Scout shorts all year round. It's fine for the boys, I guess. You are not gonna get the boys down here wearing long pants except in rare circumstances. But I've always been disappointed in the adult leaders attire at COHs and on Scout Sunday. Some wear the shorts, others wear the baggy Scout-issue cargo-type long pants. I guess Scouting does have a dressier long pant for adults, but I don't see many adults wearing them. I guess the long cargo pants also work well in the field.

Since the Scout Shop is about 45 minutes away and since they charge a ridiculous amount for those dress pants, I looked for an alternative. Yesterday, I grabbed a pair of my Scout shorts and headed to JC Penney. I found a St. John's Bay khaki dress pant, with a straight front and a nice crease. It's 100 percent cotton and I can wear it in the field or iron it and wear it to COH or to church.

And the color is a dead-on match. It cost $14.95, thanks to Black Friday. It looks really straight and professional. Nothing baggy or unkempt about them.

I was sorta wondering what the forum thought. I know it's not Scout-issue - and I know that is a big deal 'cause I feel the same way about sticking to Scout-issue stuff. But I also think it's important that we look professional and that adult attire at formal occasions be appropriate.

Wondering what you folks thought.

COH and parades do require different pants than field pants. Good on you for being thrifty. In New Zealand only for the christmas day parade are black pants and dress shoes requiered, the Kiwis dont have official uniform pants at all. And as long as you dont have an ASM preachin "no jeans" while wearing them ...

I was sorta wondering what the forum thought. I know it's not Scout-issue - and I know that is a big deal 'cause I feel the same way about sticking to Scout-issue stuff. But I also think it's important that we look professional and that adult attire at formal occasions be appropriate.

Just another post in a long line of uniform posts. "I don't like some aspect of the uniform for some particular reason and I want to wear something similar but not the uniform and want the forum to tell me it is OK."

The boys will know you are not wearing uniform pants. Introducing the double standard of adults do what they want but the scouts have to follow the rules. Parents? They should expect you to follow the program as closely as possible and set the example of perfect uniforming so they can point to the adults to show their sons they should be uniformed properly. The Uniform is the most Appropriate apparel for all scouting events and activities. Wearing something other than the uniform is not appropriate.

If you want to look more formal in the official uniform, send it to the laundry and have it professionaly cleaned and pressed. Leave the bellows pockets empty and neatly pressed flat during more formal activites. Have the pants hemmed to the proper length. Have all the patches sewn on in the correct location. The public, parents and scouts will appreciate that you made the effort to wear the uniform correctly. Then you dont have to be a hypocrite when you are reminding scouts to wear their uniform correctly.

Just another post in a long line of uniform posts. "I don't like some aspect of the uniform for some particular reason and I want to wear something similar but not the uniform and want the forum to tell me it is OK."

The boys will know you are not wearing uniform pants. Introducing the double standard of adults do what they want but the scouts have to follow the rules. Parents? They should expect you to follow the program as closely as possible and set the example of perfect uniforming so they can point to the adults to show their sons they should be uniformed properly. The Uniform is the most Appropriate apparel for all scouting events and activities. Wearing something other than the uniform is not appropriate.

If you want to look more formal in the official uniform, send it to the laundry and have it professionaly cleaned and pressed. Leave the bellows pockets empty and neatly pressed flat during more formal activites. Have the pants hemmed to the proper length. Have all the patches sewn on in the correct location. The public, parents and scouts will appreciate that you made the effort to wear the uniform correctly. Then you dont have to be a hypocrite when you are reminding scouts to wear their uniform correctly.

Scout Sunday, ECOHs, and troop COHs do call for a nicer trouser than the Scout pants will ever be. If you put enough starch in your zip-offs to make them look good, you'd better wash them twice before going on a hike.

I think your Scouts, parents, and the general public will appreciate that you went to the trouble to make your uniform look good. (I have an un-official pair of green slacks for formal occasions, too)

The only people who will even know that you're not in the official uniform pants are bureaucrats whose opinion should be of little value to you. Let them stand next to you in front of the congregation looking nappy in their zip-offs.

The only time I see dressier pants is with our OA Lodge leadership. They've decided to have a professional appearance because of some of the things they are called on to do. Each year, our Lodge Chief gives an address to the State Legislature, he sits on the Council Board, etc. Our Lodge Adviser, Chief and VC's all wear the poly/wool uniform shirt and pants. I'm a Lodge Associate Adviser and I do not wear them. I will say that even though they look really nice when they go somewhere, I don't find a poly/wool uniform practical for their site visit to our summer camp. The one thing I do find humorous is their shoe selection. Of course hiking boots kind of clash with a poly/wool uniform. Our Adviser is an old fraternity boy and he likes to wear Sperry Topsiders, so that is the "official" unofficial shoe of choice for our OA leadership. They look great for indoor meetings, but are not very practical at our camp properties.

I personally like to dress more formally at for more formal occasions. I found a pair of the perfect color Haggar slacks that I wore to all scout gatherings that were more formal than a Troop meeting. As for setting the example to the scouts, I think it lives up to the best intention of the Uniform method. I promise you will never hear a scout say otherwise. Barry

I am entirely on the side of "the Scout uniform is too ugly to wear at ceremonial functions" and the "no Scout or parent will ever know you aren't wearing official stuff" side of this. I would never appear in public in those baggy things they sell at scoutstuff.org, much less at a COH. :rolleyes: I would also have no problem as a leader with adults wearing the new or old canvas shorts (not the zipoff, baggy stuff) at COHs. The uniform police would have to deal with Killer, my 12 pound miniature schnauzer, who would shred their official Scout socks. I congratulate you on having good taste! And, I'm heading for J.C. Penny. ;) Of course, I am also the former SM who had a Scottish ceremonial team of four kilted Scouts (MacLaren, of course) who were quite popular in the day and praised by Green Bar Bill. He shared my view of proper dress!

Keep in mind that the BSA has a dress uniform for adults (blue blazer and trousers over a white dress shirt.) Of course, wearing that means you leave all of the insignia and knots behind.

Actually, I am appalled at the attitude of adult leaders when it comes to the value of the uniform. Just go out there and read the excerpts from Scouting and our founder Lord Baden-Powell regarding the purpose the uniform serves to the program and the community. While returning from our Scout Camp, we happened upon and accident. When we stepped in to help I heard someone say thank God some Scouts are here. The uniform symbolizes a purpose and expectation which brings peace of mind, comfort and fellowship to the community. Like the purpose of the neckerchief. I have witnessed or been part of two occasions where the neckerchief was used in emergency service. Not only an excellent decoration to complete the look of the uniform, it is a tool when needed. We were pleased to have been prepared on those occasions. There is an excellent quote from Lord Baden-Powell, “Show me a poorly uniformed troop and I will show you a poorly uniformed Scout Masterâ€Â. Adults suck it up, we lead by example and yes everyone is watching.

Actually, I am appalled at the attitude of adult leaders when it comes to the value of the uniform. Just go out there and read the excerpts from Scouting and our founder Lord Baden-Powell regarding the purpose the uniform serves to the program and the community. While returning from our Scout Camp, we happened upon and accident. When we stepped in to help I heard someone say thank God some Scouts are here. The uniform symbolizes a purpose and expectation which brings peace of mind, comfort and fellowship to the community. Like the purpose of the neckerchief. I have witnessed or been part of two occasions where the neckerchief was used in emergency service. Not only an excellent decoration to complete the look of the uniform, it is a tool when needed. We were pleased to have been prepared on those occasions. There is an excellent quote from Lord Baden-Powell, “Show me a poorly uniformed troop and I will show you a poorly uniformed Scout Masterâ€Â. Adults suck it up, we lead by example and yes everyone is watching.

OK rich boy, what is the Gross family income of your scouts family? $150k or more?

Mine is $22k

I can see ya went to the jambo, so I am guessing your son went too? So that set ya back what 3-4 grand a piece.

Not everyone can afford scout pants, and My PLC decided they did not want neckers.

Is your troop boy led? It should be.

My troop is located in "the poorer" part of town. The boys are all full uniformed, but they don't buy off of Council shop shelves. They use Ebay and have a closet for the clothing they outgrow. Any boy can turn in a pair of pants and get a larger pair at no cost.

Being full uniformed is not an issue of money, it's an issue of Thrifty.

If the boys can't afford a $5 necker, I make them for about $1 each. Slides? Make them from parachute cord for pennies.

When all is said and done, my boys may be the poorest, but they are the best uniformed troop in the council.

Cost is not a consideration when it comes to full uniforms, but for some it's a pretty good excuse.

Stosh

What jblake said. I've worked with underprivileged scouts as well and they were all fully uniformed. It isn't difficult to do.

So your families have credit cards and the like, with no CC no ebay.

With a Family of five and an income of 22k you don't get credit cards.

We have a fairly decent uniform closet, lots of shirts, no pants.

My son and I are fully uniformed.