E-Cigarettes, Vaping - Does it have a place in scouting?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, @RichardB, my opinion has changed 180 degrees based on recent developments.  The evidence is trickling in that these "drug delivery devices" are not as "safe and harmless" as the manufacturers l

Just like any other tobacco product, shouldn't be used in front of the Scouts.

Yes, as a discussion point under substance abuse, sub-topic addiction.

Here is the issue......

I am not sure they were ever intended to help folks quit smoking.

It has become a seperate addiction to it's own.

In a discussion with one of the chemist at work, he was wondering how long before they figure out how to put other things in liquid. Say THC, PCP or some other much more significant mind altering drug.

I have some coworkers that have switched from cigarettes to the ecig.....They use it in our shared work space. I am sure that I am exposed,

Perdidochas is right. This is merely a different kind of addictive drug delivery system. Might as well be a water pipe. Anything that makes it seem 'cool' or even just acceptable to the boys is wrong. I vote to prohibit, same as the smoke-producing coffin nails.

Edit to add: This campus is planning to become a completely tobacco-free zone, outside the buildings as well as inside. All tobacco products including the nicotine. Needless to say, the addicts don't like the idea. I'll report how it goes if they successfully do this.

It seems to me everyone is able to make up their own minds and manage the situation as they see fit. I see no good purpose in a 15-year-old using one. I do, however, have an ASM who uses one as part of a program to quit smoking.

I see no reason for the nanny state -- local, state, federal or BSA -- to get involved.

• Upvote 1
Here is the issue......

In a discussion with one of the chemist at work, he was wondering how long before they figure out how to put other things in liquid. Say THC, PCP or some other much more significant mind altering drug.

I have some coworkers that have switched from cigarettes to the ecig.....They use it in our shared work space. I am sure that I am exposed,

Packsaddle - the University of California System as of January 1st is smoke free, including e-cigs.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_24452557/uc-pulls-plug-electronic-cigs-systemwide-smoking-ban

Here is the issue......

Nice, so how in the world does a fellow deal with this.

Our Pack has a history of parental drug abuse on outings, now your telling there is something that looks like a legit nicotine product.....

It seems to me everyone is able to make up their own minds and manage the situation as they see fit. I see no good purpose in a 15-year-old using one. I do, however, have an ASM who uses one as part of a program to quit smoking.

I see no reason for the nanny state -- local, state, federal or BSA -- to get involved.

Twocub, the 'nanny state' is the term I hear when people complain about motorcycle helmet laws. Do you agree?
  • 5 years later...

Well, @RichardB, my opinion has changed 180 degrees based on recent developments.  The evidence is trickling in that these "drug delivery devices" are not as "safe and harmless" as the manufacturers led us to believe.  They are clearly being marketed to kids and the clueless.  Let's go buy a vial of unknown chemicals at a shady "vape shop" and heat it to around 1500 degrees and inhale the combustion products deep into the alveoli of our tender young growing lungs.  What could possibly go wrong?

Yes, ban them.  No place in a Scouting venue.

• Upvote 2

RichardB asked the question three years ago.  Does anyone know if there has been a formal answer?

I would absolutely not allow any scouts to vape. 

Regarding adults, does anyone know if there are formal BSA rules.  We have one leader who smokes, he's tried to quit a couple times.  He knows it's bad for him and a bad model for the scouts and so he is very discrete.  I don't think many of the scouts even know he smokes.  If we had a leader join who wanted to vape I would insist he treat it like smoking and never do it in anywhere that the scouts could observe.

• Upvote 1
On 11/28/2013 at 5:44 PM, frankpalazzi said:
On 11/28/2013 at 4:27 PM, Sentinel947 said:
Frankscout, lets not tivilize one of the most destructive idelogies of violence in the history of mankind, Nazism to people who want to ban cigarettes.

Because it's a controversial thing, I'd say no, but the issue has never come up in my unit.

You'll see my point when the coffee pot is viewed as just as evil as the Marlboro pack. Mark my words, it WILL happen.

Doubtful, as there are reportedly health benefits to moderate coffee drinking.  

• 2 months later...

11/13/19: NEWBURYPORT, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — Vaping related illness has put over 2,000 people in the hospital, and has resulted in the deaths of at least 39 people in the country. However, health concerns regarding vaping are relatively recent. Reports started coming in just this year, after a decade of vapes being sold commercially. In Massachusetts, three people have died and at least 65 are sick.

Newburyport High School senior Anne Marie Noe was suspicious of the product three years ago, when she decided to make it the subject of her Girl Scout Gold Award project.

"I've just really kind of immersed myself into everything that vaping has been doing in our society. It has definitely become a passion of mine, because Juul is taking over and we all need to do something to stop it," Noe said.

Noe developed a course on vaping after seeing how prevalent it was in her school...

More info at sources:

https://wbznewsradio.iheart.com/content/2019-11-13-newburyport-senior-creates-vaping-health-class/

https://www.newburyportnews.com/news/local_news/newbuyport-girl-scout-earns-top-award-for-teen-vaping-project/article_49653153-b764-5541-8df2-baff4034a456.html

We have a Den Leader who I have witnessed vaping in camp 3 or 4 times.  If I am seeing it the Scouts are seeing and its unacceptable as far as I am concerned.  Just recently a Girl Scout in our community as part of her Gold Award created an anti-vaping campaign aimed at middle school and high school students.  More than ever there shouldn't be leaders vaping where any Scout may see the behavior.  Just a few days ago another parent/leader told me the Den Leader also vapes outside our meeting place regularly.  I need to find a polite way to bring this up in committee meetings aside from shaking my finger in his face and telling him to knock that crap off.