Not sure what to name this thread

I have got a question.

Should a troop pay (registration fee) for some members, who are not active, to be on the committee?

It seems like, since I have joined and before, our troop has 'honary' Committee Members who they pay for but never show up. I can understand a few of them

(like the ones storing our equipment), but there are others who don't do ANYTHING ANYMORE.

The same thing goes from some of our Assistant Scoutmasters. We have a few ASMs that are payed for (by the troop) but don't show up and nobody has heard from in years. The troop, however, still pays for them unless they directly say "I don't want to be in the troop anymore." I will say, however, that these ASMs are former scouts.

What do you guys think? Do other troops do this? Is it right that these guys get paid for while others, that are really active, have to pay?

Not only would I not allow their registration to be paid for by the troop, I would not allow them to be on our troop roster if they are inactive. If at some point they choose to become active again it's not a big deal for them to reregister.

Having said that,before I jumped to any conclusion about these people I would make sure that they were not doing things behind the scene you may not see, like working on the SME committee or something like that.

Bob

SME is Supporting Membership Enrollment or also known as FOS (Friends Of Scouting); the annual appeal by the local council to get funding from the families in the units and the community at large. Councils use this to make a large precentage of their budget. The SME committee work behind the scenes to raise this support in the local community.

Unless the practice is creating a hardship on the troop treasury or done with some ill intent (like plumping membership numbers or filling required positions with inactive leaders), I see no harm.

Our Institutional Head is a former den leader whose sons have aged out. We keep him on the roster as a committee member as a courtesy to him so he gets newsletters, mailings from the Council, Scouter magazine, etc. He's not active in the proram, but occasionally attends pack meeting in uniform.

Interesting question.

There aren't regulations in the BSA that say who must pay registration for whom. Other than the basic joining requirements and membership standards, there are no standards for what constitutes an active membership in the BSA.

Now that we've got policy out of the way, let me give you my opinion.

I think that registration in the BSA is a personal responsibility. I don't like to see units (that get their money from the efforts of the boys and, occasionally the chartered organization) paying the membership fee (that's what registration is) for their adult leaders.

When it comes to the boy registration (membership) fee, there is a written guideline in the unit budget plan that the family should have to pay the registration fee only once -- when the boy joins the program. After that, the registration fee should come from dues and unit fundraisers. If you would like a copy of the unit budget plan, call your council service center or look in your recharter package. It's free and only 1 page printed on both sides.

When it comes to registration of adults, I feel very strongly that it should be paid out of the adult's pocket -- whether they're a unit, district, council, national, or professional staff member. If you want to be a member of the Boy Scouts of America, you ought to be able to shell out $10.00 a year for the priviledge.

Now that I've typed that (my apologies to those that have their registrations paid by a unit that wishes to honor them, I think that's a different deal. To deny that unit the priviledge of doing you an honor is a dis-service.) I wonder how I can be a strong arm when I'm watching the Wizard of OZ on broadcast television with the same delight I felt when I was a child . . .

Poppies . . . .

Toto? Where's Toto?'

DS

I think you already have some great answers to the question, but I just wanted to add that when our troop last discussed this issue the committee decided to pay for ASM's as a gesture of thanks (and let them know it is an annual $10 gift) for their service working with the boys, but they also decided not to pay for any committee members fees at all, no matter what their status.

The Troop that I am involved with pays for the initial registration of all adult leaders and committee members. If the adult becomes fully trained at their position the troop will continue to pay for subsequent registration. If the adult does not make the effort to become trained then they are responsible for their own fees.

I am in a similar position when it comes to ASM's. Technically, I have four ASM's (three of whom are trained). However, none of them are active. One has sons in the troop and claims that he is an ASM, but he might be at one meeting a month (when he attends the troop committee meeting) and might go one two outings a year (he always has excuses why he can't be at other ones). The other three are either former SM's or troop alums that were at one time active.

I am planning on writing to each of them in the next month to ask if they wish to continue as Assistant Scoutmasters. If they do wish to continue, then they'll to need to pick up some regular duties and follow through on them. If not, then we'll either register them as committee members (that will be the CC's discretion) or drop them from the list.

I find it hard to believe that somebody who's being honored as a "Scouter Emeritus" for years of past service by being registered each year at unit expense, would be unwilling to do ANYTHING to help with the leadership of that unit. Surely, these persons do $10 worth of work for the unit. If not, it's a legitimate question.

I'M okay with "committee members at large" who don't do much, as long as the main committee positions are filled with people who aren't mailing it in, and there are enough working ASMs.

Also, if the adults are helping with unit fund raisers, the $10 shouldn't be an issue; compared with boys having to sell $50 worth of popcorn to get it...

KS

Several years ago in a galaxy far far away, I assumed the CC's role for a troop and immediately had to deal with rechartering. That troop too was carrying several adults on the roster who were no longer active. I just called them up and asked them if they intended to participate and solicited the registration fee if they wanted to stay on the rolls. Most graciously declined and appreciated the call. They did not want to be financial burdens to the troop. Real simple.

Eisley, I think your response violated the "can't add more rules" rule that has been discussed in a previous thread. You seem to have a rule to "use common sense." I don't recall that being a BSA policy.

Seriously, units obviously have the option to do what they would like but our troop is small we don't carry on registrations for individuals as an honorary. Now, if someone wishes to start an endowment fund for honorary members, I'm all ears.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Not only does our pack pay all the dues for the adult leaders, but also the cost of any training they may take.

This may be one of the philosophical differences between Cubs and Scouts.

I understand DS's point about paying for adult dues with troop funds earned by the sweat of the boys' brow. I think it's different with Cubs in that all the money essentially comes from the parents in one form or another. Even money raised by cubs selling popcorn popcorn is dependent on the parents' support. Since the money is theoretically coming from the parent's pockets, I think it is perfectly acceptable for the pack to pay for those parents who volunteer to be leaders. Granted, it is a small token and I'm sure most of the leaders would pay it themselves if asked, but it is one way we can show our appreciation for the time they invest.

This is a little of Hotdesk's original post in that all but one (mentioned earlier) of these adults are active volunteers.

My troop The troop that I joyously serve used to pay the fee for all the adults until someone pointed out that many of the registered adults were never seen at anything. The decision was made to only pay for the SM.

Personally, I find it a bit galling to have to pay anything. First they come to you and give you the big lie about 1 hour a week then you are expected to buy an overpriced uniform that fits poorly all followed by the ultimate indignity that you have to pay for the honor of doing all of this.

Sure, it's only $10 a year and I do spend more than that on coffee in a week but its the principle. No, it really is.

The charter organization of our troop pays all the fees for all troop members, youth and adult. As the Scout program is the youth program for the church, they felt it was the church's obligation as the tithe covers contributions. As an outsider of that particular church, I should pay mine and my son's costs but they insisted they pick that up too. I replaced the troop trailer for the troop, and we Scout leaders bring all the staples for the campouts and share that cost among ourselves.

I have argued the point about Scout dues, basing my arguements on the wealth of knowledge I pick up on these forums, especially the point of Scouts managing their own money to having that feeling of investing in the troop. None of it flew. As a result we have a poor showing at meetings in general; and I believe its the non-investment point I just referred to.

Perhaps this thread might be called " To fee or not to fee. That is the question"

yours in Scouting, Dave J! ASM