Uniform Inspections - How do you do it?

I'm curious about these.

I've never seen it done. My pack encourages what they call "class A's" to the pack mtg, and "class B's" other times....

But most of the leaders model a class A with a field uniform shirt, jeans or non-standard "pocket pants", and whatever socks and belt they happen to have.....

Looks like I might be taking over as CM next year, and I've been seeing mention about inspections form time to time. Seems like an interesting idea, but I can see that it would very easily cross a line or two....

of calling negative attention to a boy not in uniform

and may seem a little bit too "military".

So..... how do you do it?

"Show me a poorly uniformed troop, and I'll show you a poorly uniformed leader" Sir Robert Baden Powell.

You seem to hit the issue where you talk about your units leaders. Honestly in my unit, our adults model the proper uniform, and that expectation has filtered down to most of the boys. We don't make an issue of it, but it's an expectation. However, that is at the Boy Scout level, where it's a bit easier to do that sort of thing.

I personally like full uniforms, but I don't get too wound up if Scouts don't have it. I'd rather have Scouts on the trips and meetings with a partial uniform, then scare em away with uniform inspections.

Sentinel947

In my pack the Den Chiefs inspected each others dens at pack meetings about three times a year. The DC agree on a standard before the meetings, call each den to attention ( more or less) and walked down the line of cubs, checking off shirt, neckerchief, pack and den number,etc. Patches sewn on a bit off center, a missing button and the like were not counted, hey they are cubs not Marines. The entire thing took 4-5 minutes. Then some sort of prize was given to the highest scoring Den.

oi, my fav ^o^

in NZ it turned into a game-competition almost: patrol leaders would inspect their den/patrol and points could be earned/lost for the patrol of the year award (a special outing for just one patrol like sailing).

Now the Kiwis are a lot more relaxed, so as long as the shirt, necker and slide where there ... not nearly as many patches down under.

Class A Parade: Full on shirt (brown button, fully loaded patches, service stars & knot), black pants and black dress shoes

Class A (normal, Flags and all) Full on shirt as above, but green scout cargo pants and lets face it at camp we wear boots

Class B, actvity - I have a Centenial Uniform with minumum patches like a knot, name. Just basic for any activity.

Class C - any scout polo

Class D - any scout t shirt ;-)

If the scouters lead by example, the kids tend to pick up quickly and show the newbies.

For teaching a flag ceremony I had a friend from the USAF come in and they looked sharp.

And I heard before: even if I wear a Smokey Bear I am not a bleeep blank bleeeeep blank blank Drill Instructor.

At ease.

Simple aye

In Cubs we had a problem with family not sewing on boy's awards. Invited a military dad to come in uniform and talk about uniforms. Had a uniform inspection the next week (announced for the parents way ahead of time.) Boy's loved it, loved even the name of "uniform inspection". Some sort of treat (popcycles?) for all. (We were a waist up pack, as all I have seen around here are.) That got all those things attached to the shirt. Then had a uniform inspection every so often before big pack events. Worked much better than sending email after email asking parents to sew on the awards.

In troop now, the dress had become pretty lax. Troop guide made an announcement (in full uniform), then SPL sent out a note prior to recent COH. Wow, I didn't know so many boys owned uniform pants and sashes. Boy Led does work.

Hope these ideas work for you.

• Upvote 1

If and when we do uniform inspections, which isn't very often BTW, I would have all boys wearing a Cub Scout uniform stand up. Then I would start going down the list of required things one by one and ask all the boys to sit down who didn't meet that particular requirement. I would keep going until only 1 or 2 boys were left standing and those boys would get a prize. Even those boys weren't usually in full perfect uniform, but I figured they tried the best out of all of the others, so they deserved a prize.

If and when we do uniform inspections' date=' which isn't very often BTW, I would have all boys wearing a Cub Scout uniform stand up. Then I would start going down the list of required things one by one and ask all the boys to sit down who didn't meet that particular requirement. I would keep going until only 1 or 2 boys were left standing and those boys would get a prize. Even those boys weren't usually in full perfect uniform, but I figured they tried the best out of all of the others, so they deserved a prize.[/quote']

I like this idea. Seems like a good way to get it started, to get everyone thinking about it but keeping it relaxed and fun at the same time.

It seems that the line them up approach might be a big turn off to some of the parents, so I'm just a bit un-easy about trying to work it in. I know all but one of the leaders would be put off by it. It's interesting though, to read that many do just that and it's a hit with the boys.

I was thinking it would be cool to get a military dad, like AKdenldr did, to come in and talk uniforms and flags.... and other stuff too. I wish I knew an active duty US Marine!

Thanks to everyone for the ideas!

Any more?

In BSA there is only one official uniform.

There is only one official uniform inspection sheet.

And estimated 95% of the troops out there do not adhere to the one complete official uniform anyway.

So why even try?

1) Most troops make up their own uniform "rules" as they go along

2) Most troops have "class b, c, d, e, f, and g" uniforms to convince themselves they are in some sort of compliance, see #1 above.

3) Uniforms are not required. (unless you are going to Jamboree, then you need TWO COMPLETE UNIFORMS!!!) Anyone see he hypocrisy in that? :)

4) Uniform pants are too expensive and the boys are going to outgrow them anyway. (Same for the $175 pair of Nike's they are accustomed to wearing)

My advice? Dump the whole process! You will sleep easier having chucked the whole thing rather than lying awake at night trying to justify non-compliance.

I don't worry about it, but my troop adheres to the official uniform inspection sheet, per their decision. It's up to the PL's to assist the boys in their patrols in meeting those standards.

Stosh