DO TROOP COMMITTEE MEMBERS HAVE TO BE ON CHARTER TO SIT ON BOARDS OF REVIEW

First Thing ...OH My Gosh...If Ya Can't afford $25 a Year to Register...Get out of Scouting. Adults should foot their Own Bill. For $2.083333333333333333 a Month You can be registered.

My Gosh when I was a Youth I paid $0.50 a week Dues..Did not Kill me..Did not Prevent me from spending Money on Uniforms, I never missed a Campout, I never Missed a Camporee, I never Missed a Scout-o-Rama, I never Missed First Aid Meets. I went to Summer Camp...$2.00 in Dues a Month Never prevented me from participating in Scouting. A Year of Registered Scouting costs less than a Movie with a Soda and a Tub of Popcorn.

Since I have been back in Scouting I have paid my own Registration fees. I have paid My Own Registration Fees to Events.

Only Fees a Charter Organization should pay for is the Unit Charter Fee.

Unit Funds should pay for Boy Orientated things like Awards, Rank Advancements, Skill Badges, Merit Badges, Activity Participation Patches such as Scout Sunday..Cub Scout Neckerchiefs, Boy Scout Troop Neckerchiefs.

Unit Funds also should pay for Transportation fees to events, Banquets, Equipment, Facilities (especially if the Scout Unit has Facilities no one else uses), Yearly Vehicle Registration and Maintenance Fees if Unit has them.

A former youth member from the Troop I was last with sends in his Adult Registration each year even though he has never attended a Single event and even lives 175 miles away because he wants to remain on the Troop Rolls as a Member of the Troop but he pays his own dues. For 6 Years now

Second Thing: Quit trying to Skirt the rules people...A Scout is Honest....What has happened to a Scouters integrity? An Unregistered Adult is Not a Committee Member. An Unregistered Adult is Not allowed to Function as a Committee Member. if you Knowingly allow an Unregistered Adult to perform Functions you are Lying.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I would let them sit on the BOR.. I would still take my active committee members, but we just aren't registering you because of the expense.. Over a parent that is not involved.. Basically the w

First Thing ...OH My Gosh...If Ya Can't afford $25 a Year to Register...Get out of Scouting. Adults should foot their Own Bill. For $2.083333333333333333 a Month You can be registered.

My Gosh when I was a Youth I paid $0.50 a week Dues..Did not Kill me..Did not Prevent me from spending Money on Uniforms, I never missed a Campout, I never Missed a Camporee, I never Missed a Scout-o-Rama, I never Missed First Aid Meets. I went to Summer Camp...$2.00 in Dues a Month Never prevented me from participating in Scouting. A Year of Registered Scouting costs less than a Movie with a Soda and a Tub of Popcorn.

Since I have been back in Scouting I have paid my own Registration fees. I have paid My Own Registration Fees to Events.

Unit Funds should pay for Boy Orientated things like Awards, Rank Advancements, Skill Badges, Merit Badges, Activity Participation Patches such as Scout Sunday..Cub Scout Neckerchiefs, Boy Scout Troop Neckerchiefs.

Unit Funds also should pay for Transportation fees to events, Banquets, Equipment, Facilities (especially if the Scout Unit has Facilities no one else uses), Yearly Vehicle Registration and Maintenance Fees if Unit has them.

A former youth member from the Troop I was last with sends in his Adult Registration each year even though he has never attended a Single event and even lives 175 miles away because he wants to remain on the Troop Rolls as a Member of the Troop but he pays his own dues. For 6 Years now

Second Thing: Quit trying to Skirt the rules people...A Scout is Honest....What has happened to a Scouters integrity? An Unregistered Adult is Not a Committee Member. An Unregistered Adult is Not allowed to Function as a Committee Member. if you Knowingly allow an Unregistered Adult to perform Functions you are Lying.

Again, your talking about people who want to be a part of scouting.. If you have a bunch of parents who want everyone else to do it for them, and you are pushing someone to step up, the $25 is just and extra reason why then don't want to do it.. Right now, the lack of Adult participation is what will make or break this pack, we may not recharter Dec 7th due to not enough people stepping up. When you are looking at it from that perspective then Adult Leadership is worth using Pack funds on. Way more important then if the boys get ice cream, or the pack pays for them to go to the local hockey game.. Because if the Pack folds, then they won't get ice cream or go to the hockey game anyway. Unless it's at some big bash we throw for closing shop.

We don't do a committee meeting, we do a Parents meeting and we let all parents vote, we did that before the rate hike, again if you want parents to participate then you do what you can to try to bring them in. So, in my book, you don't need to be registered to organize summer camp registration, or do popcorn or write up minutes to a meeting, and send out thank-you's .. The CC and the treasure, Advancement, those would be my three..

j stud of tex ass:

"If Ya Can't afford $25 a Year to Register...Get out of Scouting."

I'm trying to take your advice. I keep asking our committee to fire me.

But while you're riding up on that high horse, would you mind looking around for me and tell me what my troop is getting for the $1,500 plus check we'll be writing for our charter?

JoeBob commented

Yesterday, 08:37 PM j stud of tex ass: "If Ya Can't afford $25 a Year to Register...Get out of Scouting."

I'm trying to take your advice. I keep asking our committee to fire me. But while you're riding up on that high horse, would you mind looking around for me and tell me what my troop is getting for the $1,500 plus check we'll be writing for our charter?

Well Well ..Well..Well... I will let Your Typing Skills speak for it self or Your Eyesight but back on Topic.

anyways back to Fees

Recharter Fee....$40.00 per Unit...So assuming that Your Charter Organization does not charter More than 1 Unit of Each

Pack 40.00

Troop 40.00

Crew 40.00

Total So Far 120.00

No Idea why Your Being Charged $1500.00 To Recharter

How Many Youths are you Recharter?

Maybe consider asking the scouts if they Want Boy's Life..Why Waste Money on Boy's Life if it is Not being read or Saved?

Are You Buying Everyone new Uniforms and Handbooks Also

If Your running Short of Money..Fundraiser :)

Better Management of What Ya Spending Money On.

JoeBob commented

Yesterday, 08:37 PM j stud of tex ass: "If Ya Can't afford $25 a Year to Register...Get out of Scouting."

I'm trying to take your advice. I keep asking our committee to fire me. But while you're riding up on that high horse, would you mind looking around for me and tell me what my troop is getting for the $1,500 plus check we'll be writing for our charter?

Well Well ..Well..Well... I will let Your Typing Skills speak for it self or Your Eyesight but back on Topic.

anyways back to Fees

Recharter Fee....$40.00 per Unit...So assuming that Your Charter Organization does not charter More than 1 Unit of Each

Pack 40.00

Troop 40.00

Crew 40.00

Total So Far 120.00

No Idea why Your Being Charged $1500.00 To Recharter

How Many Youths are you Recharter?

Maybe consider asking the scouts if they Want Boy's Life..Why Waste Money on Boy's Life if it is Not being read or Saved?

Are You Buying Everyone new Uniforms and Handbooks Also

If Your running Short of Money..Fundraiser :)

Better Management of What Ya Spending Money On.

At $25 a person and say a $1 per registered person for insurance (varies by council and is rolled into recharter) plus the unit fee, $1500 equals about 56 people. Forty boys, eight SM/ASMs, eight CC/MCs and a COR, and you're there.

Last year you could've gotten Boys Life for all the youth and hit around $1500 for the above group.

Well If Adults paid there Own Fees and Boys paid $2.00 per Month Dues Lets See where we are at

Troop Recharter Fee 40.00

Insurance X54 54.00

Total Recharter Fees 94.00

No matter where the money comes from, collected, fundraised, granted by CO, Joe Bob's unit needs to turn over a $1500 check to recharter for 2014. His legitimate question is "What do we get for that?"

Stop being so obtuse.

Well If Adults paid there Own Fees and Boys paid $2.00 per Month Dues Lets See where we are at

Insurance X54 54.00

Scouting Magazine for every adult

New advancement requirements

A whole lot of lawyering

That about sums it up.

qwazse commented #7.1 So, it sounds like your adults don't pay dues. Are you concerned because the boys will have to raise more funds to pay for adult registrations if you keep your pool of adults large? Or, is this about more than just money?

Nope, this is just about funding. We're a small Troop with just 13 Scouts. We have 4 Assistant Scoutmasters of various levels of involvement and a Troop Committee of maybe 8. So effectively we have just as many adults as we do Scouts, and maybe that's a good thing. I do see both points of the responses above. It's the whole $25 a person, which equals a big portion of our treasury, versus what we are getting for that, versus the rules. And having been informed that these funds effectively go 100% to National, the question of what the local Troops get, meaning what the Scouts get, is very valid. Sure, we've discussed whether adult leaders should pay their own charter fee, but as far as the leaders, the ones that attend the events are already paying for their son's camping/food, their gas to get to the camping grounds, etc. To say, now give us another $25, seems a bit unrealistic. At the same time I do like one recommendation above that whether a leader is paid for should be based on their involvement. If they meet a minimal requirement of attendance/involvement then they are paid for, and if not then they either pay for themselves, or it's based on how involved they've been. Maybe for the Troop Committee it should be that anything beyond the Committee Chair and Treasurer has to pay for themselves.

Insurance X54 54.00

jps toad:

National BSA has decided that we, Scouts and Scouters alike, are a piggy bank. I can see from your comments that you were not aware of the lucre demanded, so your blind defense is understandable. $94 is almost half what BSA requires for the smallest unit allowed: 6 paid youth and two adults.

Nike & qwazse:

Thanks for letting me vent. Fees go up, but services either go down or remain the same. There is no return on our investment.

You know what really sticks in my craw? That $1500 is an annual payment. Every year we pay again for the same material.

We write off our adult fees on our taxes, every little bit helps. If you want to help your adult volunteers with their fees, drop their son's and have them pay the adult fee. This also helps in recruiting.

At the pack level one smart CC we had would cover adult fees the first partial year by his own donation. This helped him recruit, as he found it hard to convince someone to step up, then ask for $ 15. Once they were in the job for a while it wasn't as much a problem to get a check.

I love working with the boys, and if it means $ 2 a month, happy to do it.

From 2013 Guide to Advancement:

8.0.0.3 Composition of the Board of Review

A board of review must consist of no fewer than three

members and no more than six, all of whom must be at

least 21 years of age. For further specifi cations, see

“Particulars for Tenderfoot Through Life Ranks (or Palms),â€Â

8.0.2.0, and “Particulars for the Eagle Scout Rank,â€Â

8.0.3.0. Unit leaders and assistants shall not serve on a

board of review for a Scout in their own unit. Parents or

guardians shall not serve on a board for their son. The

candidate or his parent(s) or guardian(s) shall have no

part in selecting any board of review members.

And

1. The board is made up of three to six unit committee

membersâ€â€no more and no less. In units with fewer

than three registered committee members available to

serve, it is permissible to use knowledgeable parents

(not those of the candidate) or other adults (registered

or not) who are at least 21 years of age and who

understand Boy Scouting’s aims. Using unregistered

adults for boards of review must be the exception,

not the rule. Registered committee members familiar

with the unit program, who have had a background

check, and who are Youth Protection trained are

preferred. Scheduling boards of review when and

where committee members can attend usually

alleviates the problem of not having enough

committee members for a board.

Only boards we ever did with 6 members were Eagle boards, back when the troop picked the members, and a district rep. was present.
No one has demanded you pay anything...Pay or leave simple. You don't like it move onto an Organization.

creative typing about my Name ain't gaining you no sympathy..keep it up

Obvious you have no idea what it means to be Kind or Friendly :) Have a good Day sir

jipped stud:

Kind?

"OH My Gosh...If Ya Can't afford $25 a Year to Register...Get out of Scouting."

Friendly?

" if you Knowingly allow an Unregistered Adult to perform Functions you are Lying."

Let's work on 'mentally awake':

" The term "Volunteer" sometimes can mean Adult Leader depending upon context but can also refer to non-registered adults who help."

http://www.meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Adult_Leader

If you can find a written citation that requires all adults working with a troop to be registered, I'll pass that on to our Unit Commissioner, who believes otherwise.

You may want to re-think picking a fight with someone who knows how to use the 'shift' key...