DO TROOP COMMITTEE MEMBERS HAVE TO BE ON CHARTER TO SIT ON BOARDS OF REVIEW

We are in the process of working on our re-charter. With the recent hike in charter fees per person we are trying to be smart as we have limited funds. For the Troop Committee I know that by the rules we must list at least 3 members on the charter. Normally those would be the Committee Chair, Committee Treasurer, and Secretary or another position. At the same time we have upwards of ten parents who attend the meetings, including the 3 I've listed, with some having official roles and some not. One member has stated that any parent not listed on the Charter is not on the Troop Committee and can not sit on Boards of Review. It was stated that this is a BSA rule. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed a BSA rule, I have not been able to find it worded specifically like this. Would anyone know if it is a BSA rule and if so, where it comes from? In many ways this seems a bit overstated since I've seen some Troops use their Assistant Scoutmasters on Boards of Review (which I know is not correct), or parents/leaders from other Troops when necessary (for example, while at Summer Camp). Ultimately we want to do the right thing, but we have very limited funds and plans that will need those funds. At $25 a person including these additional members would take our charter from around $500 to about $800.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I would let them sit on the BOR.. I would still take my active committee members, but we just aren't registering you because of the expense.. Over a parent that is not involved.. Basically the w

BOR consists of "three to six unit committee members". If they are not registered, they are not "unit committee members". There is no BSA rule about having "others" present, but should not be the SM, ASM or boy's parent, unless they just want to observe. I agree with qwazse...in my units, the adults always paid their own registration fees. If we raised funds for the troop, it went for the boys. Also, technically, there are no registered positions called "Advancement Chair", "Treasurer" or "Secretary"...just "Committee Chair (CC)" and "Committee Member (MC)". And there is certainly not a position called "Unregistered Parent with Official Duties".

Actually under the 2013 Guide to Advancement there is come leeway that troops now have on the composition of the BOR, and it can involve non registered adults. As noted below, this leeway should be the exception, not the rule.

8.0.2.0 Particulars for Tenderfoot Through Life Ranks (or Palms) - ....The board is made up of three to six unit committee membersâ€â€no more and no less. In units with fewer than three registered committee members available to serve, it is permissible to use knowledgeable parents (not those of the candidate) or other adults (registered or not) who are at least 21 years of age and who understand Boy Scouting’s aims. Using unregistered adults for boards of review must be the exception, not the rule. Registered committee members familiar with the unit program, who have had a background check, and who are Youth Protection trained are preferred. Scheduling boards of review when and where committee members can attend usually alleviates the problem of not having enough committee members for a board.

Do your troop a favor and pick up a copy of the Guide to Advancement. If you have parents who are functioning as committee members, but are not registered, they should register as soon as possible.

At our recent committee meeting we were trying to whittle down the number of paid adults. I specifically asked our UC, who just happened to be at the meeting, what was the minimum number of registered adults we needed to stay legal in the eyes of BSA: "Two, an SM and a CC."

From 2013 Guide to Advancement:

8.0.0.3 Composition of the Board of Review

A board of review must consist of no fewer than three

members and no more than six, all of whom must be at

least 21 years of age. For further specifi cations, see

“Particulars for Tenderfoot Through Life Ranks (or Palms),â€Â

8.0.2.0, and “Particulars for the Eagle Scout Rank,â€Â

8.0.3.0. Unit leaders and assistants shall not serve on a

board of review for a Scout in their own unit. Parents or

guardians shall not serve on a board for their son. The

candidate or his parent(s) or guardian(s) shall have no

part in selecting any board of review members.

And

1. The board is made up of three to six unit committee

membersâ€â€no more and no less. In units with fewer

than three registered committee members available to

serve, it is permissible to use knowledgeable parents

(not those of the candidate) or other adults (registered

or not) who are at least 21 years of age and who

understand Boy Scouting’s aims. Using unregistered

adults for boards of review must be the exception,

not the rule. Registered committee members familiar

with the unit program, who have had a background

check, and who are Youth Protection trained are

preferred. Scheduling boards of review when and

where committee members can attend usually

alleviates the problem of not having enough

committee members for a board.

BOR consists of "three to six unit committee members". If they are not registered, they are not "unit committee members". There is no BSA rule about having "others" present, but should not be the SM, ASM or boy's parent, unless they just want to observe. I agree with qwazse...in my units, the adults always paid their own registration fees. If we raised funds for the troop, it went for the boys. Also, technically, there are no registered positions called "Advancement Chair", "Treasurer" or "Secretary"...just "Committee Chair (CC)" and "Committee Member (MC)". And there is certainly not a position called "Unregistered Parent with Official Duties".
It also says that if less than three committee members are available, parents or other adults over 21 can be part of a BOR. This should not be the routine, but is allowed.

This is just me personally. I am running the same issue.. It is great if you are a Pack/Troop who have an abundance of volunteers, I have been in units and cheerfully paid my own dues.. My pack is still pulling teeth to get enough volunteers signed up so we can recharter.. Asking them to please, please, please take a position.. Then turn around and say "By the way that will cost you $25".. But, we don't have scouts/parents selling popcorn or volunteering to help with any other fundraiser.. So funds are also tight..

Personally, my feeling is to charter all direct contact leaders, (maybe not as important in a pack where parents seem to come along on most things, but very important if my Web leaders want to take the Webs on outings without parents in tow, and similarly a troop where there are only 2 or 3 direct contact leaders going out on overnights. If they don't charter with BSA, they are not getting that background check. You also have no way to track if they are keeping up on Youth Protection unless you ask for a paper copy proof from them.. Where I plan to cut corners is on the registration of Committee members.. Register the 3 you need, others are just volunteers.

So mossetracker, if you only register the three, and the others are just volunteers, are volunteers permitted to sit on Boards of Review? Also, what do you guys think about my Assistant Scoutmaster issue, where I have some that can't come to meetings, and others who aren't coming on trips. Yes, I can ask them if they want to be on the charter again, but they would likely just say "yup, put me on". It just seems difficult, like someone wrote above, to say "thanks for stepping up, now pay $25".

Yeah, I would let them sit on the BOR.. I would still take my active committee members, but we just aren't registering you because of the expense.. Over a parent that is not involved.. Basically the wording in the Advancement gives you the wiggle room to use non-registered parents.. Do it.. Especially if you know they are active enough in the troop that they know their stuff. Believe me, Council will not double check to come back and tell you that you have over used this option.

As stated, doesn't matter that they are not there all the time. For my piece of mind, I would register direct contact leaders if they are going out on troop events with the scouts.. I do not want some law suit about some sort of youth protection issue have the teeth by pointing out that the adult leader perpetrator was not registered in BSA, and no background check was issued and he never took Youth protection or it was 6 or 7 years since it was taken.

Perhaps think about changing your policy on what your unit pays for. It would have to be assessed the following year, but have something that the unit pays if the Adult promises to make 85% of the events.. They will only pay 1/2 if the person plans to make 50 percent and the person can pick up their own tab if it will be occasional.. The following year, you would have to look at their participation levels and if they didn't follow through on their promise, tack the difference onto the next years charge.. A little complex, but yeah if the Troop is picking up the tab, they should expect a commitment from the Adult..

I would not though remove any direct contact leaders from the rosters, and still use them as direct contact leaders though.. CYA yourself and your CO..

• Upvote 1
At our recent committee meeting we were trying to whittle down the number of paid adults. I specifically asked our UC, who just happened to be at the meeting, what was the minimum number of registered adults we needed to stay legal in the eyes of BSA: "Two, an SM and a CC."
He is wrong, from the New Unit Application.

"The Chartered Organization selects one of its members to register as chartered organization representative who may also serve as chair or as unit committee member if needed. All units must have a unit leader and a minimum of five paid youth. There must be at least three committee members, with one named chair..."

Three committee members, one as the chair who can also be the COR, and a scoutmaster would be the minimum.

From 2013 Guide to Advancement:

8.0.0.3 Composition of the Board of Review

A board of review must consist of no fewer than three

members and no more than six, all of whom must be at

least 21 years of age. For further specifi cations, see

“Particulars for Tenderfoot Through Life Ranks (or Palms),â€Â

8.0.2.0, and “Particulars for the Eagle Scout Rank,â€Â

8.0.3.0. Unit leaders and assistants shall not serve on a

board of review for a Scout in their own unit. Parents or

guardians shall not serve on a board for their son. The

candidate or his parent(s) or guardian(s) shall have no

part in selecting any board of review members.

And

1. The board is made up of three to six unit committee

membersâ€â€no more and no less. In units with fewer

than three registered committee members available to

serve, it is permissible to use knowledgeable parents

(not those of the candidate) or other adults (registered

or not) who are at least 21 years of age and who

understand Boy Scouting’s aims. Using unregistered

adults for boards of review must be the exception,

not the rule. Registered committee members familiar

with the unit program, who have had a background

check, and who are Youth Protection trained are

preferred. Scheduling boards of review when and

where committee members can attend usually

alleviates the problem of not having enough

committee members for a board.

Never had a BOR with 6 member. most of ours are three or four.

This is just me personally. I am running the same issue.. It is great if you are a Pack/Troop who have an abundance of volunteers, I have been in units and cheerfully paid my own dues.. My pack is still pulling teeth to get enough volunteers signed up so we can recharter.. Asking them to please, please, please take a position.. Then turn around and say "By the way that will cost you $25".. But, we don't have scouts/parents selling popcorn or volunteering to help with any other fundraiser.. So funds are also tight..

Personally, my feeling is to charter all direct contact leaders, (maybe not as important in a pack where parents seem to come along on most things, but very important if my Web leaders want to take the Webs on outings without parents in tow, and similarly a troop where there are only 2 or 3 direct contact leaders going out on overnights. If they don't charter with BSA, they are not getting that background check. You also have no way to track if they are keeping up on Youth Protection unless you ask for a paper copy proof from them.. Where I plan to cut corners is on the registration of Committee members.. Register the 3 you need, others are just volunteers.

I agree with Moosetracker here. If you have leaders who have frequent direct contact, or who attend activities/camping trips, they should be registered for BG check/liability/insurance purposes. Don't gamble!
Yeah, I would let them sit on the BOR.. I would still take my active committee members, but we just aren't registering you because of the expense.. Over a parent that is not involved.. Basically the wording in the Advancement gives you the wiggle room to use non-registered parents.. Do it.. Especially if you know they are active enough in the troop that they know their stuff. Believe me, Council will not double check to come back and tell you that you have over used this option.

As stated, doesn't matter that they are not there all the time. For my piece of mind, I would register direct contact leaders if they are going out on troop events with the scouts.. I do not want some law suit about some sort of youth protection issue have the teeth by pointing out that the adult leader perpetrator was not registered in BSA, and no background check was issued and he never took Youth protection or it was 6 or 7 years since it was taken.

Perhaps think about changing your policy on what your unit pays for. It would have to be assessed the following year, but have something that the unit pays if the Adult promises to make 85% of the events.. They will only pay 1/2 if the person plans to make 50 percent and the person can pick up their own tab if it will be occasional.. The following year, you would have to look at their participation levels and if they didn't follow through on their promise, tack the difference onto the next years charge.. A little complex, but yeah if the Troop is picking up the tab, they should expect a commitment from the Adult..

I would not though remove any direct contact leaders from the rosters, and still use them as direct contact leaders though.. CYA yourself and your CO..

Oops, didn't read ahead before posting my last comment. Absolutely yes.
So mossetracker, if you only register the three, and the others are just volunteers, are volunteers permitted to sit on Boards of Review? Also, what do you guys think about my Assistant Scoutmaster issue, where I have some that can't come to meetings, and others who aren't coming on trips. Yes, I can ask them if they want to be on the charter again, but they would likely just say "yup, put me on". It just seems difficult, like someone wrote above, to say "thanks for stepping up, now pay $25".
So, it sounds like your adults don't pay dues.

Are you concerned because the boys will have to raise more funds to pay for adult registrations if you keep your pool of adults large?

Or, is this about more than just money?