Troop Trouble Maker . . .

Agreed its SM/Parent time, but as ASM for stabbing with a pencil and drawing blood I would have confiscated the Totin Chit and not worried about corners.

Taking someones crutches is quite un-scout-behaviour. Special class on 1st Aid maybe? No hazzing I know, I have old school ideas ...

In 2.5 years as a leader we/I only ever had 1 scout that was removed from the troop (Leaders decided, told the Committee who told the parents).

But that is and should only be the very last resort.

So how to manipulate a lil manipilator to stop manipulating? ...

Moosetracker: Council is trying to show the remaining scouters that nothing is going to change. Groups like the PTA (previously) wouldn't charter units because of the discriminatory policies. Now the other church groups are worried that "liberal" groups might be willing charter units because the ban on gays was removed, then they would have to interact with them at Camp O'rees and things. Council is hemorrhaging boys to Trail Life and they are desperate to stop the flow.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite the master manipulator you have there. As others have said, this is an SM issue, and the Committee needs to focus on supporting the program, not micromanaging boys.

Sometimes the smallest can be the biggest manipulator, and it sometimes is simply a way to compensate for their size. Aren't you happy your sons are not in the Owls patrol. I feel for the PL who is ge

James and the boys need to have a consequence. I have seen the same thing--we have one boy who is a master manipulator (I have written of him before) and maybe an A+, All American, future Eagle Scout

Agreed its SM/Parent time, but as ASM for stabbing with a pencil and drawing blood I would have confiscated the Totin Chit and not worried about corners.

Taking someones crutches is quite un-scout-behaviour. Special class on 1st Aid maybe? No hazzing I know, I have old school ideas ...

In 2.5 years as a leader we/I only ever had 1 scout that was removed from the troop (Leaders decided, told the Committee who told the parents).

But that is and should only be the very last resort.

So how to manipulate a lil manipilator to stop manipulating? ...

Don't know about PTA groups.. Those were more pressured to stop their sponsorship over the fact atheists weren't allowed in, that hasn't changed. Other liberal groups who were are not sponsoring due to the gay issue would also tend hold out until the ban on Adult homosexuals was lifted also. I mean if there soul decision rests on equal treatment for homosexuals, then they are going to wait until homosexuals have equal treatment.

But, seriously.. If your council fostered some sort of attitude that BSA was a "conservatives only" club.. Then it is now living with the damage that it created.

Troop Meeting Tomorrow promises to be light.

The CC sent out an email stating that parents who show up will have an opportunity to learn the reasons behind the troop rules and traditions, AND why it's never a good idea for a brand new scout to be PL.

Wish us luck!

Man sounds like a troop ready to implode unless you get the trouble makers out.. Between manipulative scouts and over-demanding, over-protecting parents any of your good scouts and reasonable parents will be squeezed out, unless the troop makes a decision to remove the bad apples in order to save the good ones.

The CC sent out an email stating that parents who show up will have an opportunity to learn the reasons behind the troop rules and traditions, AND why it's never a good idea for a brand new scout to be PL.

Wish us luck!

"Lord of the Flies" is an aggressively Christian allegory (people are inherently evil), but his boys-in-the-wild message is the opposite of Baden-Powell's Christian wilderness premise (people are inherently good).

Wish us luck!

I said I dint want to hear it ... But anyway ...

Highest ranking youth picks the station (or in my case the MP3 player that gets hooked in), and the station must change/shuffle if I hear uncouth speech or more than 5 seconds of sales pitches, and nobody shuffles when Kansas or Diana Krol is being played.

Like Kudu indicates, these stories are rife with Christian themes, and I'm more than prepared to bring it up with the boys. But that works best when the boys have ample control over the song/story selection. (Interestingly, I have noticed that girls aren't as interested in getting into the philosophy of what they listen to as much as boys are.)

The bottom line here, I think, is that you can only fix what people are willing to change. Put your support behind the SM and help him as best you can. If people aren't living up to the desired standards of courtesy and kindness, the SM has to tell them so. If they are unwilling to change, hard decisions have to be made about who stays and who goes. I'm taking in feedback from others constantly about how to improve my behavior on a number of fronts. So, as far as I'm concerned, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Wish us luck!

To be totally honest I've never seen the boys discuss the philosophy of anything they listen to. Typically conversation about where to ride go like this;

Scout 1: "What's lord of the flies about?"

Scout 2: "A bunch of boys who get stuck on an island."

Scout 1: "Do they shoot each other with guns?"

Scout 2: "No they beat each other to death with a conch shell."

Scout 1: "I TOTALLY dibs that car."

Scout 3: "What's Ashes about?"

Scout 4: "An EM pulse fries all the kids brains and the go around eating all the adults."

Scout 3: "COOL!"

The bottom line here, I think, is that you can only fix what people are willing to change. Put your support behind the SM and help him as best you can. If people aren't living up to the desired standards of courtesy and kindness, the SM has to tell them so. If they are unwilling to change, hard decisions have to be made about who stays and who goes. I'm taking in feedback from others constantly about how to improve my behavior on a number of fronts. So, as far as I'm concerned, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
My boys are looking to leave the troop as soon as the little one has his ECOH. The older one has no intention of becoming Eagle and only wanted to be in Scouts because it was fun. This new group of parents has made it decidedly "not fun."
  • 3 months later...