So two half hitches is still the same as a clove hitch? But by reversing the second hitch, in either case, you're saying it's a better knot as it won't come loose. You just need a new name for reversing the second hitch. By the powers vested in me, I now pronounce this new knot the JobBob Hitch.

I agree that a clove hitch won't hold a canoe. Been there done that. While looking at images for this great debate I found the spar hitch, rolling hitch, and constrictor hitch, http://scoutpioneering.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/hitches1.jpg, all of which seem like they'd hold the canoe better. The spar hitch was originally meant to keep horses from wandering, so kind of like a canoe. The constrictor looks easy and a bit more secure than the spar. There's also a knot called a double constrictor.

Enough with knots. Time to start thinking about big bird, and how she's going to be cooked.

Suffice to say, while the clove hitch and two half hitches are not the same knot, they do indeed look the same.

Just to throw a log on the fire while we're waiting for the turkey to dry out in the oven: Butterfly Knot = Larks Head on the standing end.

Discuss....

(and I'm trying to think of more knoticons, but my creativity is limited lately)

:)

How's about this.

1) tie a clove hitch on a pencil.

2) slide the pencil out and slip the long standing rope in it's place. You now have a double half hitch.

3) But what if you have this knot tied on different piece of rope. Is it a clove hitch or a double half hitch?

Stosh

How's about this.

2) slide the pencil out and slip the long standing rope in it's place. You now have a double half hitch.

3) But what if you have this knot tied on different piece of rope. Is it a clove hitch or a double half hitch?

Stosh

I have pondered teaching the clove hitch and two half hitches in that manner. It would definitely kill two birds.
How's about this.

Stosh

The lashings stay tighter if the finishing knot is viewed as a double half hitch on a log rather than trying to tie a clove hitch. Tie a half hitch, pull it really tight, then tie the second half hitch. Voila, nice and tight. Looks like a clove hitch so you'll pass muster. :)

Stosh