Earned ALL 134 merit badges in protest to labelled too young for Eagle?

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/S...232276831.html

Apparently this young scout was told by ??? that he was too young to earn Eagle. So he went ahead and earned all 134 merit badges figuring it would be harder to turn him down a second time?

According to the article, "just over 200" have earned all merit badges available when they were scouts. I had assumed they were all Eagles, well at least one was not.

Time for a second cup of coffee, this is just too strange.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He would have shown me more had he spent the extra time camping, hiking, fishing, shooting, providing service, leadership to others and having fun with his Scout friends. All this proves is there is

We likely are, as usual, missing some important elements of the story. If he has had the support of SM's, then who is holding him back from the Eagle completion? Does it have to do with leadership i

Yeah, it's funny. I'm an Eagle Scout. I can't count the number of people who've told me over the years, "I could have been an Eagle but....insert lame excuse here." After high school I joined the N

The reporter asked all the wrong questions ... Especially for a video segment. I would have preferred footage of the boy tying a timber hitch, or maybe demonstrating some Lifesaving holds. But, if you didn't know his age, you'd look at his insignia and ask if he'll have his Eagle project done soon. The boy is already SPL.

Sooooo, Assuming he joined the troop at 10.5, He is now 13.5 and probably 13 when he finished this stunt. he was in the troop for 30 months. he probably had the 21 merit badges for eagle lets assume 18 months......

So he earned 110 merit badges in a year to year and a half??? that is 6-9 merit badges a month.

Sorry something doesn't smell right.

He would have shown me more had he spent the extra time camping, hiking, fishing, shooting, providing service, leadership to others and having fun with his Scout friends. All this proves is there is something terribly wrong with the advancement program in his troop/district.

• Upvote 2
Sooooo, Assuming he joined the troop at 10.5, He is now 13.5 and probably 13 when he finished this stunt. he was in the troop for 30 months. he probably had the 21 merit badges for eagle lets assume 18 months......

So he earned 110 merit badges in a year to year and a half??? that is 6-9 merit badges a month.

Sorry something doesn't smell right.

He credits Mom with supporting him. Hope that support was driving him around and not signing blue cards. Would also like to see how much money the parents spent. Some of these are not cheap.

Agree Twocubdad.. Sounds like scout did a lot of busy work (or his parents did), but has he stopped long enough to learn & understand what scouting is all about. I am wondering how many of those meritbadges were done the right way, and how many were in watered down summer camp programs, meritbadge workshops, and mom or dad as the MBC..

He also makes it sound like if he didn't do this then he would NEVER earn eagle rank, I don't those slowing him down wanted to see was all meritbadges what they wanted was him to slow down and enjoy the process .. He totally proved he just doesn't get it.

Though I don't think it is right for someone to hold someone back with false rules when they decide to earn Eagle at 13 or whatever.. It is simply give him his patch, and I personally at this stage of the game, would not be impressed.. Now, if afterwards he stayed in and settled into enjoying scouting, he would then earn my respect, and if he high tailed it out with his badge, he is simply a paper eagle.. Nothing for people to make up rules from keeping him from doing it..

So give him his patch with all his meritbadges and see if he stays in and slows down.. I believe if he tries to turn those Merit Badges into palms, what he has left will force a slow down.. if Mr. speedy speeds off to other things.. Well, maybe those things can teach him what scouting failed to.

After becoming an Eagle Scout, you may earn Palms by completing the following requirements:

1. Be active in your troop and patrol for at least three months after becoming an Eagle Scout or after award of last Palm. (Eagle Palms must be earned in sequence, and the three-month tenure requirement must be observed for each Palm.)

2. Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath (Promise) and Scout Law in your everyday life.

3. Make a satisfactory effort to develop and demonstrate leadership ability.

4. Earn five additional merit badges beyond those required for Eagle or last Palm. (Merit badges earned any time since becoming a Boy Scout may be used to meet this requirement.)

PS.. Seriously how many scouts AIM for earning all 134 meritbadges? In my lifetime, I have met a total of zero.

Doesn't prove anything other than he can sample a wide range of topics. I never put much stock in merit badges as a youth, and I still don't.I hope he continues on and holds more positions like PL, SPL, Guide, Instructor. Maybe towards then end of his youth involvement he becomes a JASM.

Doesn't prove anything other than he can sample a wide range of topics. I never put much stock in merit badges as a youth, and I still don't.I hope he continues on and holds more positions like PL, SPL, Guide, Instructor. Maybe towards then end of his youth involvement he becomes a JASM.

a 14 year old JASM??????

What makes one think JASM is for Eagles?

That patch is only one step further more useless as SPL in a one patrol troop!

Just because one earns the rank of general in the Army doesn't mean that's retirement!

I get so tired of RHIP that is taught in Scouting. Earning rank and achieving the top rank does not mean one is to sit back and rest on their laurels or worse yet, quit. It means the job is just starting.

In my few years of serving as SM, I have never issued SPL, ASPL or JASM patches to any scout regardless of rank. Once I get to 4 patrols I'll start thinking about an SPL.

Once a boy earns Eagle, he is given the choice of what position he wants to serve in. One of the best DC's I have ever seen was an Eagle. They make excellent NSP PL's, TG's and Instructors as well. They earned the rank, now put them in a position to use what they learned. If the 3-4 PL's want an experienced Eagle as an SPL, I would be open to them having what they need. I'm a firm believer in electing an SPL by vote of the PL's only. He is there to assist them. Why would the troop be voting on the position that doesn't affect them?

Stosh

BD, in our outfit, age is not a consideration for JASM. A lot of our 16/17 y.o.'s have preferred to be guides or instructors, or serve as a crew officer.

Although, the wiki says "must be 16", so we probably wouldn't give a kid the patch for it. If he was 14 and doing the exact same work ... a rose by any other name ...

Haha. That post was a mess wasn't it. BD and JBlake, I edited my first post for a bit more clarity. You two were like... "WHAT?" I'm not crazy I swear! =P

I would hope that would be his path in the future. Something he did AFTER earning his Eagle. Mainly staying involved with Scouting. Not advocating for a 14 year old JASM. He's got alot of time left in Scouting to take more useful positions like PL or SPL. I can't imagine ending my Scouting "career" at 14. I would never have been an SPL, Guide or Instructor if I had left at 14.

And jblake: I don't work with a one Patrol Troop. I work in a Troop with 8 Patrols. I think the best thing a young Eagle can do is jump back into a position like PL, TG and Instructor.

Why is it that any time some boy achieves something exceptional, there are so many that come out of the woodwork on this board and claim that something must be fishy even though they know absolutely nothing about the situation?

There are plenty of stories to be found about exceptional children achieving remarkable things in other endeavors…amazing athletes…genius boys and girls who are attending college when their age-peers are in middle school. Some people are just exceptional or achieve exceptional things.

All you folks looking down your noses from a position of ignorance are a bunch of knuckleheads.