needs some advice- dealing with another leader

You're a realist, Stosh, Boys want to be with other boys and men. By eight or nine they are sick of moms and sisters. Our pack began to reach out to the troop and ask for an ASM to be the WEB ADL in order to shepherd both boys and parents into the Boy Scout frame of mind. It works well.
That's what I did as ASM and it was indeed a high point in my Scouting career. Those two years were a blast!

Stosh

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are good leaders and bad leaders. I've worked with men who do those foam craft kits for everything, read straight from the book, have little creativity in presenting the program. I've worked men who build giant slingshots to fling pumpkins into the woods. I've worked with women who can put out a table full of craft sticks and rubber bands and guide the scouts into building bridges and other mini-engineering marvels. And I've worked with women who are stuck on Pinterest crafts and focus on how 'cute' the project will be to take home. Some adults are better suited to working with kids than others. Some adults are better at focusing on the intent of the project rather than the way it looks. As a CC, I'm grateful to each and every adult that volunteers to work with our scouts, as long as they are good role models and do the job with a good heart. When I read threads like this here, it always seems like other units have their pick of leaders and can chose the candidate with the best qualifications. Ha! I wish!

Christina, I think you should be able to tell the other leader that you are sure her Wolf den will enjoy the project she has planned but you are going to make catapults since they will fulfill the requirement for either Craftsman or Engineer and the Christmas decoration does not. Then proceed with your plan however she responds. We've made great catapults with shoe boxes, pencils, rubber bands and duct tape, the directions are in the Webelos book and don't require woodworking tools. Also, I like whatever projectiles I have in my supply box that are FREE! :)

I sent my apology, explanation. I hope it is accepted. This leader did nothing for 9 months, so it is really great that she's thinking up ideas, planning, and executing them for the wolves. (She only started doing it because I was instructed that I couldn't do it for her anymore and when nothing was done, parents started complaining.) Before, I was the bear leader and I could match up bear and wolf achievements and do both without any help. Now, I can't match up webelos and wolves. Maybe we could do some, if all the boys were starting at the same point, but they aren't. My boys have almost earned their aol. One boy is about to move on to boy scouts and so I want to finish up the badges we've started. I don't have time to meander about the book. The bear leader and wolf leader are currently in the middle of a neighborly feud and therefore cannot meet together, so the scoutmaster took pitty on the wolf leader and told her she could meet at the same time/place as webelos. On that first meeting, the wolf leader told me she wanted to do joint gathering activities and opening ceremonies. I said that was fine- meaning- as long as it's what the webelos are doing, I can bring some more for the wolves, especially considering the fact that wolf leader couldn't show up on time to save her life. For the last few meetings, I've brought the gathering activity, started all the boys on it, then wolf leader shows up 10 minutes later with her gathering activity and she insists on finishing it! So, we do the opening 30 minutes into the meeting and then we're scrambling to finish our main activity! The last few meetings she even wanted to combine the main activity. I had to put my foot down to say, "no- We are doing webelos over here and you can go over there to do your thing." I have a boy, who just earned his webelos last week, who would not have earned it if we had done the awesome activity the wolf leader planned. Her activity was a great one! She brought her police officer husband to talk with the kids and do some activities. I do not deny that it would have been beneficial for my webelos, too- it just wasn't on track for what they needed to accomplish that week. I hope she understands that this isn't about her. I like her just fine. I just don't want to combine scout activities with her.

I seriously wonder why the practice of having ladies as den leaders. I think the boys would have much more fun with guy leaders. I try, I really do, but I know that guys would let loose and allow the boys more fun.
I am not arts and craftsy! I did the church's girl program for a year and we did one craft item the whole time. (There was only one to pass off.) I like to focus on doing things, gaining experiences, and learning by doing. Back when I was first a den leader, I had two others paired up with me. They did the craft stuff and the boring stuff (discussing choices).

I looked up the craft stick catapult. My 6 year old had to do a science experiment. (Any kind) I helped him build the catapult, then we collected stuff around the house, he hypothesized, then he flung, recorded, and analyzed. Now that that's over, he, the 4 year old, and the 8 year old are flinging more things. Catapults are super fun!

Oh, I talked to the wolf leader. She says she's not mad. She just isn't sure what she's going to do, except she found some pattern for snowmen book ends and thought they'd be a nice gift, but she doesn't know where to hold scouts, and even though I already got one of her boys' parents to come to the meeting, she doesn't want to hold scouts alone, and she's so sick and tired of scouts, that she thinks she'll just not have scouts again till next month...

I looked up the craft stick catapult. My 6 year old had to do a science experiment. (Any kind) I helped him build the catapult, then we collected stuff around the house, he hypothesized, then he flung, recorded, and analyzed. Now that that's over, he, the 4 year old, and the 8 year old are flinging more things. Catapults are super fun!

Oh, I talked to the wolf leader. She says she's not mad. She just isn't sure what she's going to do, except she found some pattern for snowmen book ends and thought they'd be a nice gift, but she doesn't know where to hold scouts, and even though I already got one of her boys' parents to come to the meeting, she doesn't want to hold scouts alone, and she's so sick and tired of scouts, that she thinks she'll just not have scouts again till next month...

Hmmm... and then there Christmas holidays next month, and she'll be so busy with those, and the school holidays etc. etc. So why hold any in December. And January is just too cold (well I guess that depends on where you live).. so let's go with too dark.. But, anyway, I see her slippery slope of that den will never get up again.

I'm looking what I think will be agreat idea. It is taken from a classroom experiment but with a little tweaking would make a great Pack meeting (or den meeting)..

http://www.ummbf.com/MTJHA/10.%20Helium%20Balloon%20Lab.pdf

anyway I figure to use the list of items to simulate the ballast, then dump the rest of the experiment and perhaps stick up a couple of hoola hoops for a target that the scouts need to race to their hula hoop and control it through the hoop without touching, just by directing the wind direction,

She needs a copy of the Den Leader How To book. Anyone know if there is a online version?

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/hispanic/english/33832_WEB.pdf

Don't know if it will help though. Sounds like she found something to make, but is still unable to pull the instructions off the pages and put it into practice.

You know those older boys I mentioned earlier that she has. Neither one of them did anything in either cub or boy scouts. She is not a scout person, but apparently this is the 3rd time she's been put into scouts.

Today's meeting was awesome. The boys had as much fun as that summer day, when we let them swim in a mud hole. I am so glad I stuck to my guns and had them make catapults!

Unfortunately, I came home to find that the bear leader has been spreading lies about me. It really sucks.

Today's meeting was awesome. The boys had as much fun as that summer day, when we let them swim in a mud hole. I am so glad I stuck to my guns and had them make catapults!

Unfortunately, I came home to find that the bear leader has been spreading lies about me. It really sucks.

Heck, I don't mind people telling lies about me, it's when they tell the truth that I get into trouble. :)

Stosh

And right there is the problem: put in scouts. Voluntelling is just about the worst way to organize a group.

You try to make peace. She instead makes war.. Well, at least you now know to not pay her any mind, do your own thing, put on an awesome program for your den, and let her just sputter as she finds ideas from the internet or where ever and yet has no idea how to make those ideas come to life.