Raingutter Regatta

Our Pack has 34 scouts. We run a triple elimination Raingutter Regatta. We've been using downloaded printed brackets. It takes a long time to place the loser in the correct position. This usually results in the races taking 1 & 1/2 hours to run the races using 2 new inflatable racetracks. Does anyone know of a program that I can run on a laptop similar to what's available for the Pinewood Derby?

• 6 months later...

You should be able to find free / inexpensive tournement software online. Don't limit your self to raingutter / pinewood. The backeting should work the same for all sports. The triple ellimination will be the hardest part a lot will only support double. I would think you could also find this for a smart phone.

While we're on the subject. The Venturing Officers Association are tasked with a council-wide event for this. A local park loans us their "Lazy River" so we can "race" dozens of boats at a time! Went through the walk-through with a couple of officers, and I can hardly wait 'till August!

• 4 weeks later...

A bit miffed this year, the scout shop is only stocking the new "catamaran" style boat kits. Ugh. Cost $2 more each, all the "old" boat kits left over are no longer useful, and I need to check to see if we'll need new gutters (or buy the new "inflatable" track the shop sells to go with the new kits).

I like the inflatable rain gutter regatta track as it is easier to transport than the track made of rain gutters we used before. The downside is that they require a couple of tables or other waterproof support for the entire length of the track. I was also worried about durability but it has held up through several races. We use it for recruitment as well as pack activities.

Fehler, our scouts have enjoyed using recyclable materials to make their own boat designs. We've also used pool noodles as the base. Cheaper and more creative than the scout shop kits.

A bit miffed this year' date=' the scout shop is only stocking the new "catamaran" style boat kits. Ugh. Cost $2 more each, all the "old" boat kits left over are no longer useful, and I need to check to see if we'll need new gutters (or buy the new "inflatable" track the shop sells to go with the new kits).[/quote']

Maybe your Webelos can work on their Craftsman Activity Badge by cutting the wood for your boats.

My pack is trying this in August. A couple of dads have the idea of ripping a 6" PVC pipe in half. How does the inflatable one work?

Its really nice, a lot better than a leaky raingutter lol. Blow it up and its golden