Train Wreck!

Stosh,

1) Yes deprogramming Cub Scout leaders is extremely difficult. the qualities that make them good DLs make them lousy Boy Scout leaders. As Yoda would say, "You must unlearn what you have learned." In fact I think think I will start a 12 step deprogramming program in 31 days when oldest becomes a Boy Scout. ( No, I'm not counting down ;) )

2) Sure you don't want to move to NC, I know a bunch a scouts AND parents who are looking for a troop like you envision.

Peri,

One reason why I want a troop committee member position instead of ASM or SM (don't ask). I know I need some deprogramming, and I know better. Plus I don't have the time commitment since I am still involved in Cubs.

But yes, committee positions with a specific focus are a good way of redirecting them. Also having experienced leaders mentoring them also helps.

BUT, IMHO, having a CC and SM who will run interference for the scouts, and get the interfering adults out of the way is a VITAL (emphasis) key. I've see one unit fallign apart becasue the CC and SM are not keeping the parents and committee from interfering.

Stosh,

1) Yes deprogramming Cub Scout leaders is extremely difficult. the qualities that make them good DLs make them lousy Boy Scout leaders. As Yoda would say, "You must unlearn what you have learned." In fact I think think I will start a 12 step deprogramming program in 31 days when oldest becomes a Boy Scout. ( No, I'm not counting down ;) )

2) Sure you don't want to move to NC, I know a bunch a scouts AND parents who are looking for a troop like you envision.

"BUT, IMHO, having a CC and SM who will run interference for the scouts, and get the interfering adults out of the way is a VITAL (emphasis) key. I've see one unit fallign apart becasue the CC and SM are not keeping the parents and committee from interfering."

:) That is EXACTLY what happened with my last troop. My CC moved on and the new CC threw me under the bus when confronted by a couple of the parents. Without the backing of the committee, the SM will eventually get hung out to dry. The SM needs 100% of his energy directed towards the boys. Without a wing-man (CC), the SM will eventually burn out trying to do double duty with both parents and boys.

Stosh