Advise For Troop 15.

In another thread the SPL of troop 15 informs us that his troop is dying.

It has only 7 Scouts.

The SM is up there in years.

They are financially challenged.

All in all things don't look that great.

What wise words of wisdom do we have for this SPL so that troop 15 does not bite the dust?

He sounds like a real nice lad who doesn't want to see his troop fail.

Eamonn

Ok hang on to your hats, I have a feeling that this one could get bumpy. ;)

I noticed that SPLT15 said that they could not afford to do a High Adventure. I say why?

You could do a high adventure for 5 days for about 50 bucks per scout. How you ask? A High Adventure does not have to be halfway across the country, it could be in your county. Now I do not know much about Louisiana, never been there, but I see you are not far from the mighty Mississippi and I see there is a big lake by your town. Take a walk around the lake for a week, Hike by the Mississippi, you are not to far from the gulf, is there a state forest nearby? I am assuming that you have tents, backpacks, mess kits, and bag. All you need besides that for a high adventure is the food and possibly a stove, you can supply the food from a grocery store, does not have to be dehydrated backpacking food. Grocery Stores have dehydrated potatoes, hash browns, tuna in a bag, mac and cheese, rice, summer sausage, etc. Which would make better meals than the dehydrated stuff anyway.

(Le Voyager could probably do a lot better menu than I can this way, and tell you how to make some food to take, along with many others on this forum)

Purchase a cheap digital camera, you can get them for about 15 bucks from Wal-Mart or Walgreens, I have one myself. It will take 20 very good pictures outside in the sun, take pictures of your outings send them into the newspaper with a little write up about where you went camping over the weekend. Do some service project take pictures send them into the newspaper with a little write up.

Now when you take that high adventure take that little camera along and take pictures and I think you know what to do with them! Other kids and adults will see that you are an active troop and I hope it will draw in new recruits.

Now for the hard part! How many ASM's and MC's do you have? Are they willing to go camping and on service projects with you? Please do not just say no, ASK THEM, than let me know what they say.

Some adults just needs a little asking or pushing.

Dan, you've done your research on me havent you :)

Where we live near the Mississippi River, there is hardly a spot to hike it, Myself, the JASM, and the SM would gladly hike the Mississippi near us, us three have been trying to get some canoes to one of these days goe to the begining of the Mississippi and canoe down it. None of the other scouts really want to do it, except for the PL. Also, we have three ASM, two are in college, and the other one told me he would rather not because of the risk factor(this is thwe one no one likes). Oh, i forgot, we have another ASM, a lady, she would do the canoe trip too.

Committee Members? We have 12 registered Committee members, and only 9 active, and three of them are the ASM's and SM. And five of the left are women who can not go anywhere without the whole beauty salon, im not kidin. And the other one is a man with extreme back problems.

So basically, not that many of the scout want to do anything to help the troop. Only me, the JASM the SM, PL, and the woman ASM really want to do many high adventure things. Me and the JASM and the two clooge ASM's did a COPE coarse, and we know none of the other scout would've done it, because we asked them.

SPL_T15,

Don't worry about starting big and don't worry about getting everybody to go. 2 adults and 2-3 guys are all you need. Get out there, have some fun, get some publicity, share the excitement, and start making plans for the next outing. Spread the word in the troop. Share pictures and stories. More guys will want to go next time. Tell some buddies about it at school. You'll be surprised how many guys want to get in on the action.

Good luck and have fun!

-mike

SPL-T15

Dan and others are right...don't wait to get everybody on board. Start having fun now.

For canoes, since I've a feeling that you may live someplace swampy (as I)here's another ideal. Make your own punts, or pirots (pee roes). For a few dollars in plywood and some boards you can be polling the backwaters and having a blast. Two or three pirots can be outriggered together for a campspot at the end of the day, so dry land is really not needed. Carry a bucket with some sand in it for cooking (be sure to take a bit of firewood). A couple of narrow sheets of plywood can be carried in each boat which can be later laid across the boats to sleep on....or you can hang hammocks.

Now, one of the areas of interest that I enjoy doing while out in the swamps is birding. And for the now, I'm trying to locate an Ivory Bill Woodpecker, which I fear may now be exticnt here. However, a few years back there was a confirmed sighting of one in your area...

Naw I did not really do much research on you, copied your location pasted it into yahoo maps. Just so I could give you a few suggestions. Also looked at your town using www.terraserver.com just to see the lay of the land, looks mostly like farm land, is it?

Can you get the 2 ASM in college to go with you? Take the high adventure when they are on spring break or on summer break.

SPL T15,

I don't know your area well but I did want to encourage you to keep trying to keep the troop together.

It sounds like you may need a new scoutmaster or at least a new ASM that can be more active with the troop. You might consider talking to your scoutmaster about recruiting someone and getting help from your district or council.

As far as planning trips go. I agree with the others. Plan an outing you want to do and go do it. Even if there are only a few of you. When you come back and tell the others how much fun you had, I'm sure you'll get more to go the next time.

I give you a lot of credit for the effort.

My old Troop was a Troop 15, and it is no longer around. I'd hate to see another one go down.

Good luck,

SA

2 Part Plan for a Successful Troop

Part 1: Fun outings and plenty of them. This is great advice and has already been discussed here.

Part 2: Even with the focus on the outings, do not forget the importance of the troop meetings. The meetings should not be boring or useless. They should be fun and great preparation for the amazing outings you will have. The boys should want to come to the meetings each week. Remember, a team can't play well unless it practices.

I'm going to briefly slip in Bob White mode and recommend that you read through the scout handbook and SPL handbook to get ideas. When in doubt, fall back on the program.

I've returned, and now with a fresh start.

Our old ASM is out, and so is the QM, so we are starting from scratch. I, the JASM, the two college ASM's, and the SM will be taking a canoe trip down the Boqachita.

Yes, I do live in mainly farmland.

Yes, i have a bayou behind my house(the gators! :)

I've got a new outlook on the new sceniero, and it gonna work, trust me.

See the only problem about telling the guys at school about it, well there's no problem telling them, just that I live about an 1 hour and a half from where the troop meets at.

But, I have invited many, and we are starting fresh.

I've been feeling before like i was being closed in, and having to do everything, but I stepped back, and i kinda conseled myself, and have come upon this new outlook.

See ya later.

Hey, I also have another favor to ask of some one who knows alot about where to find who mad Eagle in a Council.

Because, some people want to know if I will be the yougest in my Council.

I know I will be one of the youngerst in my state, and nation, since to only youngest Eagle age is 14.

But they want to know if I am the youngest. For some reference im in the Ouachita Valley Council: Choctaw District: Troop 15 (in Louisiana)

i should be an Eagle in January if everything goes right, and i will be 14 and 5 months in January. Just something to do on the side.

Thaks again