Camping with Webelos

I was wondering how people handle Webelos camping. I have made a rule that no siblings should attend, this is causing all sorts of problems with several of my parents.

Mostly I want the boys to camp without worrying about their little brother, etc plus I really don't want to be camping with 30 odd people. Teaching the boys takes a back seat to dealing with the little kids and keeping the parents (moms in particular) away from the boys so they can actually do stuff.

We only did Family camping but what we did was to try to get the Webelos to tent with a buddy and the parents and siblings nearby but separate. We got together for meals and a few group games but the families hung out while the boys did fire-building, etc.

I've never taken Webelos II camping with more than one parent. Boys bunked with boys, not parents. Works just fine, never had a problem, but then I don't go looking for it by declaring a free-for-all event. In all the years I have spent with BSA I've never attended a "family" camp event, don't ever plan to in the future either. If it isn't "for the boys" it's not worth the hassle. This is a youth program, not a family program. YMCA has family programs, families are free to check them out.

Stosh

I've never taken Webelos II camping with more than one parent. Boys bunked with boys, not parents. Works just fine, never had a problem, but then I don't go looking for it by declaring a free-for-all event. In all the years I have spent with BSA I've never attended a "family" camp event, don't ever plan to in the future either. If it isn't "for the boys" it's not worth the hassle. This is a youth program, not a family program. YMCA has family programs, families are free to check them out.

Stosh

that's sort of how I feel, If they want to family camp the pack does plenty of camping trips and they can go on those. I REALLY want the boys to have fun camping though.

I get where you are comming from given your previous post. My bear is really mad that his brother gets to go camping all the time and he doesn't. Minecraft helps. :) Webelos camping should be just about the boys and some parents along. This is not a Pack Campout. If those parents don't want to participate in the Webelos program, what can you do ? They are in for a big shock next year. Have you tried explaining the purpose of what you are trying to do ?

I get where you are comming from given your previous post. My bear is really mad that his brother gets to go camping all the time and he doesn't. Minecraft helps. :) Webelos camping should be just about the boys and some parents along. This is not a Pack Campout. If those parents don't want to participate in the Webelos program, what can you do ? They are in for a big shock next year. Have you tried explaining the purpose of what you are trying to do ?
Oh yeah. I've told them I'm moving them towards Boy Scout style camping and basically they don't care; "we'll deal with that when we get there".

Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of good parents.

On further thought there could be legitimate reasons for the resistance. Family work schedules could make it difficult for one parent to go camping and leave the siblings at home with the other parent who may have other obligations.

But if they just "want" to family camp, I think you are in your right to say , "sorry, that is not the program I am offering and this is why..." They can take it or leave it.

I don't know how "officially legal" it is in regards to BSA policy, but when one has a signed form from the parent designating me as temporary guardian for the trip, I have taken boys on the Webelos II outings when the parents can't come. I don't like doing that, but I'm really not in favor of telling a boy he can't go because a parent can't go. After all, the program is for the boys. I've never had a situation where siblings wanted to go or even a second parent. It is made very clear that it's for the boys and one parent is invited on the trip, period. No complaints. IF... I ever got push back on it, my response would be, "Sorry to hear you're boy won't be able to make it."

As DL, I can make all the rules I want pertaining to attendance because I'm the one responsible and if I don't want more than X number of people (# of boys attending, times 2) then I have a right to say so.

If the wedding invitation is addressed to "you and guest", you don't assume you can bring your whole family. This is not without precedent.

I have had occasions where parents can't go and give me permission to be temporary guardian for the event. In those instances I get an older scout to buddy up with him so he doesn't feel "alone" on the trip and there's a set of eyes to keep tabs on him. Those parings seem to fare better than the boy/parent ones.

Stosh

"we'll deal with that when we get there"

Hey! Guess where we are!

I get this from time to time at the venturing level. (Not every campsite is after miles of rocks and bogs, and some younger sibs are veritable "Venturers in Training.") In those situations, I insist that a parent (who isn't one of my designated adults for the trip) come along to attend to whatever needs the younger brother or sister might have. If you were to do something of the sort, for example, you would need a parent/guardian for your Webelo and another parent for little brother/sister(s). They would have to set their site up at some distance from the Webelos, and program doesn't stop just because the youngsters don't think it's fun anymore.

If they are indeed good parents, they'll work with you on this.

"we'll deal with that when we get there"

Hey! Guess where we are!

I get this from time to time at the venturing level. (Not every campsite is after miles of rocks and bogs, and some younger sibs are veritable "Venturers in Training.") In those situations, I insist that a parent (who isn't one of my designated adults for the trip) come along to attend to whatever needs the younger brother or sister might have. If you were to do something of the sort, for example, you would need a parent/guardian for your Webelo and another parent for little brother/sister(s). They would have to set their site up at some distance from the Webelos, and program doesn't stop just because the youngsters don't think it's fun anymore.

If they are indeed good parents, they'll work with you on this.

at the venturing/troop level at least you can schedule the campout somewhere that you must hike into and miles from the parking lot. that will eliminate extra family members pretty quick.

This is a youth program, not a family program. YMCA has family programs, families are free to check them out.

Stosh

Great Advice lets give people reasons not to join Boy Scouts and give another option where Families can spend what few chances they have to spend time together. Since Boy Scouts is about Youth unless it is Female youth then they don't matter

This is a youth program, not a family program. YMCA has family programs, families are free to check them out.

Stosh

Great Advice lets give people reasons not to join Boy Scouts and give another option where Families can spend what few chances they have to spend time together. Since Boy Scouts is about Youth unless it is Female youth then they don't matter

Unique organizations that make the move towards what everyone else is doing, usually lose membership to those who are already set up to be generic and do a better job at it. Unless BSA remains different from the rest of the pack, serving boys, then if everyone is the same, membership choice is nothing more than picking a name out of a hat. Why would families want to join a program just for boys? They don't. Do boys want to join a program just for boys? Yep, do they want their little sister tagging along? Nope. So, if the parents decide on a family program for their family, they need to check out the YMCA. If they want a program just for their boy, BSA fits the bill.

Stosh

Stosh

Regardless of the activity, all experiences with one's family are the same in their potential to impact personality. Boys and girls need separate, unique experiences to fully develop as young persons and then as adults. Learning to function even while away from one's family is one of the most important elements of maturity.
Keep telling yourselves that...Mean while Scouting in the Rest of the World is Treking along Co-Ed at all levels. Just In America do we continue to hold onto the separate but Equal Programs However Boy Scouts just Happens to be superior than everyone else attitudes
I've counseled both my own kids and the Scouts in the Troop that the old "everyone else is doing it" is not a valid reason for them to do it too. Boys and girls are welcome to mingle in the Venturing program.