Unit fundraiser at a location where alcohol is served?

Got a question for the boards. Our unit is in the process of planning a unit golf tournament fundraiser. Already got an OK on it from local council. At a meeting the other night, it was brought up about alcohol on the course. The following applies to our fundraiser:

1) The beverage and food sales are ran by the course and the unit gets no % of said sales as part of the fundraiser.

2) The beverages would be offered via "beer cart" on the course that the golf course routinely opperates as part of its daily business

3) We will be having a dinner afterwards, with auction, etc... only non-alcoholic bevs provided in the dinner. However, there is a cash bar in the resturant area of the venue and I could see some folks wanting to buy a drink and bring it into the banquet hall area with their meal.

I understand the BSA G2SS guidelines that state: "It is the policy of the Boy Scouts of America that the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances is not permitted at encampments or activities on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving participation of youth members." This property is not owned or operated by the BSA. We do not anticipate any of the youth 'participating' in the tournament, but were planning on having them serve as hole-greeters, judges for longest drive, closest to pin, etc... and be around at the diner to provide slide show and maybe MC the auction, etc...

That being said. I have attended a couple "high-brow" dinners in my scouting days, a couple of times at the district level and once when they held the national meeting here. Big wig donors and key-note speakers type things in which there was a diner and if you bought your own "drink" at the bar outside the banquet hall, it was not viewed as a problem. These events, while not program 'for the youth' did have youth in uniform serving as color guard and on two occasions as the servers / wait staff or serving line attendants for the adults having dinner.

My question is this: Are we running afoul of BSA policy if those that choose to participate in a charitable golf tourney drink on the course or at the dinner afterwards?

I also think about the annual Scouts Night at the ballpark, where all scouts in the council come to the diamond in their unifroms. BSA doesn't ask the MLB stadium to stop selling alcohol at those games, while it does remind unit leaders and adults that it is a no-no to drink while in a BSA uniform. I know of units at both MLB games and NLF stadiums who have ran vending booths as unit fundraisers. Now, the booth the BSA unit runs cannot offer alcoholic beverages, BUT they can be sold by a seperate vendor right next door at the same event. This does not preclude the BSA unit from conducting a council approved fundraiser at the location.

While I don NOT want to go looking for a reason to NOT have this fundraising opportunity, I also want to avoid any issues on the back end of the event. You can give your opinion about what you think is right in this situation, but what I'd really like advice on is WHO would you contact within BSA to get an answer? The SE at council? The district DE? Would you not ask and just beg forgiveness if someone brings it up as an issue after the fact? It seems to be kind of a grey area to me given what I have seen at past district, council, and national "adult leader" meetings in the past.

Obviously, we do not want (and it would not be) a bosterious drunk fest. But at the same time, most guys I know that would be willing to shell out $100-$150 pp to golf in such an outing pretty much expect to be able to have a brew or two on the course. If we are forced to hold a "dry" event, I fear it would not be well attended and would likely be cause for us to reconsider the event altogether. Then I think of the local / national headline if someone were to get pulled over for a DUI coming out of a "BSA sponsored" golf tournament, and I second guess myself again.

Got a question for the boards. Our unit is in the process of planning a unit golf tournament fundraiser. Already got an OK on it from local council. At a meeting the other night, it was brought up about alcohol on the course. The following applies to our fundraiser:

1) The beverage and food sales are ran by the course and the unit gets no % of said sales as part of the fundraiser.

2) The beverages would be offered via "beer cart" on the course that the golf course routinely opperates as part of its daily business

3) We will be having a dinner afterwards, with auction, etc... only non-alcoholic bevs provided in the dinner. However, there is a cash bar in the resturant area of the venue and I could see some folks wanting to buy a drink and bring it into the banquet hall area with their meal.

I understand the BSA G2SS guidelines that state: "It is the policy of the Boy Scouts of America that the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances is not permitted at encampments or activities on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving participation of youth members." This property is not owned or operated by the BSA. We do not anticipate any of the youth 'participating' in the tournament, but were planning on having them serve as hole-greeters, judges for longest drive, closest to pin, etc... and be around at the diner to provide slide show and maybe MC the auction, etc...

That being said. I have attended a couple "high-brow" dinners in my scouting days, a couple of times at the district level and once when they held the national meeting here. Big wig donors and key-note speakers type things in which there was a diner and if you bought your own "drink" at the bar outside the banquet hall, it was not viewed as a problem. These events, while not program 'for the youth' did have youth in uniform serving as color guard and on two occasions as the servers / wait staff or serving line attendants for the adults having dinner.

My question is this: Are we running afoul of BSA policy if those that choose to participate in a charitable golf tourney drink on the course or at the dinner afterwards?

I also think about the annual Scouts Night at the ballpark, where all scouts in the council come to the diamond in their unifroms. BSA doesn't ask the MLB stadium to stop selling alcohol at those games, while it does remind unit leaders and adults that it is a no-no to drink while in a BSA uniform. I know of units at both MLB games and NLF stadiums who have ran vending booths as unit fundraisers. Now, the booth the BSA unit runs cannot offer alcoholic beverages, BUT they can be sold by a seperate vendor right next door at the same event. This does not preclude the BSA unit from conducting a council approved fundraiser at the location.

While I don NOT want to go looking for a reason to NOT have this fundraising opportunity, I also want to avoid any issues on the back end of the event. You can give your opinion about what you think is right in this situation, but what I'd really like advice on is WHO would you contact within BSA to get an answer? The SE at council? The district DE? Would you not ask and just beg forgiveness if someone brings it up as an issue after the fact? It seems to be kind of a grey area to me given what I have seen at past district, council, and national "adult leader" meetings in the past.

Obviously, we do not want (and it would not be) a bosterious drunk fest. But at the same time, most guys I know that would be willing to shell out $100-$150 pp to golf in such an outing pretty much expect to be able to have a brew or two on the course. If we are forced to hold a "dry" event, I fear it would not be well attended and would likely be cause for us to reconsider the event altogether. Then I think of the local / national headline if someone were to get pulled over for a DUI coming out of a "BSA sponsored" golf tournament, and I second guess myself again.

hmmmmmm... just my opinion.... since it's been approved here's what I would suggest:

a sign at the check-in saying something like: Alcohol is provided by golf club house only. If you drink please drink responsibly as Scout youth are around to help with their portion of the fundraiser.

I would also suggest putting a sign by your dining area for those that go to the bar area that just says something like please confine drinking alcohol to the bar area as it is part of the club and not part of the Scout fundraiser.

Just lets them know that it is there but is NOT part of your activity and may help participants keep in mind that there are youth there and help them keep their drinking more under control.

Of course if do that you'd also want to make sure the club is ok with that.

I wouldn't have any problem with this as described. I wouldn't expect the drinking to be a big part of the "on-course" activity, where the Scouts are present. Too bad you're not getting a piece of the on-course liquor sales, as that would increase your "take" considerably. I recommend really spicy Bloody Marys during rounds of golf.

Did the local council know about the alcohol when they approved the fundraiser? Check the forms that were submitted to council. If the forms don't mention alcohol, you should contact the person that approved the application for guidance.

This is not a problem. In my area it is a common fundraising practice for scout units (troops and packs) to run concession stands at professional sporting venues, including "beer only" stands, where the sporting team gives the units a cut of the proceeds.

Relax on the alcohol folks. Just like guns and sex it isn't the vice its the people.

So next time you see pictures of your next high dollar Council gathering take a sec and look at the tables in the background. Ya those are wine bottles. or the 1/4 full high balls.....yep bourbon.

Our council has fundraiser nights at the local BW3 wings joint.......OH my gosh they sell liquor there.

At the scout days at the pro baseball, soccer, football or hockey we see adults in scout uniforms drinking every time we attend.

OR my favorite, Ducking out after the meeting at the mighty white clubs, Elks, Eagles or Moose, and having a beer after the meeting.

While I am not promoting alcohol abuse or utilization in front of the boys.....It is a societal norm. I would rather prepare them for the real world opposed to keeping them locked up in a vacuum.

For those I know who play golf, it is as much if not more about having a beer with the guys as it is chasing that white ball around a field. I wouldn't sweat it.....I think those that participate and pay high dollars for your event understand why they are there.......

I would hit the golf course up for your share of the beer money.....

Best of luck

• Upvote 2

Does your Charter Organization have a position on this? Our local Catholic Troop would be cool with that as long as the libations were beer and wine, my Methodist Unit would feel uncomfortable with it but does allow participation at other events where we are not the main event.

The local town's summer celebration is sponsored by the troop's CO. They have a huge beer tent and the boys help sell at a separate booth, food products. The CO pays for all the boys' registrations out of these funds along with other financial support as needed. And of course in another room in the building where the troop meets is a full bar.

Been doing it for years and no one has mentioned it as a problem.

Stosh

Years from now someone will be posting this same question about marijuana use as more and more states legalize it.
I wonder how long before someone figures out selling nickle-bags is a great fundraiser. :)

Stosh

Years from now someone will be posting this same question about marijuana use as more and more states legalize it.
Interesting point. Now consider that both alcohol and tobacco are (for the time being) legal....

Of course not all tobacco is created equal, and the same folks clamoring to legalize M-J have a conniption if you light up a Camel.

All true. But....when I grew up and decided to leave the weed alone that's what I did, just walked away and never looked back. No problem. Cigarettes on the other hand have been the monkey on my back. I stopped smoking years ago but can't break the nicotine addiction. It is hell.

Good or bad, weed is not addictive.

I am sure Trails End Dime Bags will SO much more than the weed you could get at Walmart.

I had a brother who was sure as heck addicted to weed. Lost a good 10-15 years stoned.

Dime Bags??? When I was a kid they were Nickel Bags. I need to doobie up and get with it. Times are a-changin'.

Stosh