Unit fundraiser at a location where alcohol is served?

Hummmm wonder how all those Units sponsored by Elks, Masonic Lodges, American Legions and other Organization which have Bars handle Alcohol and Scouting Issue. I Imagine by not selling to Minors
As an American Legion Troop, if the parents/leaders wanted to do a fundraiser at the Post with the bar open (no one under 21), such as a dinner-dance, they would be asked to run it as an event sponsored by "Parents and Friends of Troop XXX". Any planning would be done * outside* of troop or committee meetings, and the "group," chaired by a parent who is not a registered leader, would present the proceeds to the troop at a COH. In other words, the Troop itself would need to officially disassociate itself from the planning and execution of the event.
Hummmm wonder how all those Units sponsored by Elks, Masonic Lodges, American Legions and other Organization which have Bars handle Alcohol and Scouting Issue. I Imagine by not selling to Minors
Frank would the scouts be allowed to participate by taking tickets, checking coats, or putting on a presentation or show?

Just curious.

Good question, the subject had never come up with us, as it was totally an adult-run function. I would think that a scout helping out with his parent present working at the function would be OK'd. (no uniforms!) Again, we (the troop and CO) would leave this to the parents to decide as parents, no "leader" involvement. We've only done a few of these over the years, mainly when our CO's building, the Legion Hall, burned down in the late 80's and the troop lost all of its equipment. The dances were a success, and the event goers were civilized and generous. The parent group was vigilant about not running afoul of BSA regulations and getting the troop in any kind of trouble.
  • 1 month later...

From my own point of view ( in the UK) Alcohol is a fact of life, and at one time or other in life Scouts will encounter it.

Alcoholic drinks can be enjoyed, but must be treated with respect, and consumed in a responsible manner.

If Scouts see adults drinking responsibly then surely this sets a better example then making out that alcohol is a big bad thing or creating some sort of strange myth /taboo with regards to the consumption of alcoholic drinks.

In an previous post, IM_Kathy said

"a sign at the check-in saying something like: Alcohol is provided by golf club house only. If you drink please drink responsibly as Scout youth are around to help with their portion of the fundraiser"

Personally if that was me, I wouldn't bother with such as sign, as responsible drinking is something that should be expected from all adults present, failing to do that would be a major breach of trust.

• Upvote 1