How many birthdays are you willing to admit?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark9750: I'm thinking 53(9/7/50)

Bsat4jb: I wasn't sure but I'll bet your unit is troop 4

For anyone on the forum: what do you call a person who has completed the wood badge course but not the ticket yet? When can they say they have done wood badge ,when they get their beads?

I'm 52 closing in on 53. By the time I was 16 I had spent half my life in Scouting. I took a 25-year nap during college/grad school/early married life and returned to active duty when my son became a Tiger. Now, I'm a Scoutmaster, my son is Life and we both went to Philmont for the first time this summer. Each year is better than the previous one. I can't wait!

bill

Andrew canoe:

I would suggest "candidate" as a term for one who has completed the Wood Badge syllabus, but not the ticket. Others may use other terms.

As to the latin jokes -- they're really only funny if explained. I have to admit that I'm not Catholic and that my one semester of latin in 9th grade has faded a bit, but I can help with the semper ubi sub ubi . . .

Semper = always

ubi = where

sub = under

ubi = where

Now forget about grammer and read down the right hand column. :)

Non illigitemi carborundum. (not aimed at anyone in particular.) Caveat Emptor.

DS(This message has been edited by dsteele)

So Dave, shouldn't you then explain your Latin phrase, which we were told (many years ago) was actual grafitti from Pompeii?

Non illigitemi carborundum - Don't let the "illegitmate sons" (fill in appropriate English expletive) wear you down.

From fourth year Latin, when we were supposed to be translating Ovid, but "metamorped" into Catullus....

I'll be 60 this coming February! I wore an "I like Ike" pin for my parents on my Cub Scout uniform. I still have my Bobcat Pin which really had a pin on the back not a push tack. Anyway, I'm still crawling around on all fours in and out of my tent and yes, it isn't so easy anymore. My left shoulder is going so handling a full dutch oven with just that arm is getting tough, also. Let me add this: every camp out is a new experience, yet only another moment extended from the first as a Scout back in '56. I've given up Scuba Diving, ice skating, roller skating, skiing, and running. Pray I don't have to give up Scouting! 'Ole Dave J!

Andrew,

If you saw a picture of me, you might be sure that I am 53. 90% grey head of hair, more of a fat old guy than FOG is, and my kids say I'm grumpy.

But alas, I'm 44. The 9750 is my street adress.

OGE, I spent 3 years in Latin during my Seminary years, but other than The Our Father, the Hail Mary, and counting to ten, there isn't anything I could do right now. My oldest took two years of Latin just recently. I tried to help him his first week or so, but gave up. What was it? a, ae, ae, um, a, ae, orum, is, os, is? see, I told you I am clueless!

Mark

Marty already explained the graffiti.

Caveat Emptor = Let the buyer beware. (Loosely translated, OGE, don't even start ;)

As to OGE's latest Latin (isn't that a contradiction in terms?) I have no clue. Please, OGE, don't make me dig out my Latin/English Dictionary (don't know where it is) and give us a translation.

Don't you guys make me revert to Quechua . . . I don't know where that dictionary is either and I have to go from English to Spanish to Quechua. Definately not worth the effort to show off to you guys.

DS