Correct pocket knife for Bears?

Any suggestions on how to work with the real knives at school ? Just thinking of the logistics. Our den meetings at right after school and I suspect the district would not look kindly on the boys even transporting them on the bus even if they turned them into the office in the morning. Might have to collect them from the parents the meeting prior when they pick the boys up. I am also a little uneasy using the knives without the parent present.
If I were meeting at a government school, I would make that den meeting off site. Find a park someplace......

Make the parents in charge of bringing the knives, and require that parents be present and actively involved for this den meeting.

That's what I'm going to suggest to our DL.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A pocket knife is far to small to effectively dispatch a bear. You need long blade to get enough penetration, needs to be robust as the bear will not hold still while you try to skewer vital organs. I

Recently bought my son a "My First Opinel" to give to him once he completes the Bear Claws/Whittling Chip activities this week.  Some of the requirements necessitate a multi-tool or Swiss Army Knife (

Anything that folds neatly and the handle fits tidily in the boy's hand will do. Going to the sporting goods store (or section) is part of the adventure IMHO. In department stores, it's usually just

I carry a pocket knife all the time and I've been on school property and no one ever has questioned it. I don't take it out of my pocket so no one knows. However, I do carry more weapons in my pocket than my ineffective pocket knife. A handful of keys makes a rather formidable "brass knuckle" if all those keys stick out from between your fingers. And of course, one quick jerk of my belt and I have a garrote with an 8 oz lead buckle on one end. The pencil in my pocket can do as much damage as a pocket knife,

The last time I got caught with my pocket knife was going through security in the Parliament Building in Ottawa. They took it along with my finger nail clipper, dropped it in a bag, put my name on it and smiled and said, I could pick it up on my way out. He did make a comment about how cool it was I carried a Boy Scout knife.

Stosh

I carry a pocket knife all the time and I've been on school property and no one ever has questioned it. I don't take it out of my pocket so no one knows. However, I do carry more weapons in my pocket than my ineffective pocket knife. A handful of keys makes a rather formidable "brass knuckle" if all those keys stick out from between your fingers. And of course, one quick jerk of my belt and I have a garrote with an 8 oz lead buckle on one end. The pencil in my pocket can do as much damage as a pocket knife,

The last time I got caught with my pocket knife was going through security in the Parliament Building in Ottawa. They took it along with my finger nail clipper, dropped it in a bag, put my name on it and smiled and said, I could pick it up on my way out. He did make a comment about how cool it was I carried a Boy Scout knife.

Stosh

There is a difference between and adult having their knife and a 3rd grade boy. Students are not allowed to carry knives, for good reason. Maybe it is just an issue in the urban areas. I can see rules being more relaxed about them in the rural schools.

Stosh

When I was teaching science in a middle school, I almost always had my leatherman in my pocket. I found it useful to do a lot of different things. Most of the kids kniew I had it. One day, the school resource officer (a deputy sheriff assigned to the schools) told me that I had been "turned in" by one of the girls in my class for having a knife. He told me that as long as I didn't use it on a student, he had no problem with it.

I've lost a leatherman micra to TSA. When I went into our local courthouse with a knife, the security guard took it, and told me to pick it up when I came back, which is the way it should be.

• 1 year later...

Digging up an old topic.

My son who is about to cross over into scouts had his knife go missing.  It was a basic swiss army knife.  For a replacement, what knife would you suggest for him.  December he with be entering Boy Scouts.

And, no, it wasn't his fault the knife disappeared.  I borrowed it for an OWL course I was directing and it disappeared after the course.  Along with about 5 other knives. Darn Scouters.....

Digging up an old topic.

My son who is about to cross over into scouts had his knife go missing.  It was a basic swiss army knife.  For a replacement, what knife would you suggest for him.  December he with be entering Boy Scouts.

And, no, it wasn't his fault the knife disappeared.  I borrowed it for an OWL course I was directing and it disappeared after the course.  Along with about 5 other knives. Darn Scouters.....

You owe him big time, Dad!

Any stainless steel penknife that folds to the size of his palm should do.

Still limit tools to a basic set. Simply because the more there are, the harder to grip.

Get him a whetstone ... maybe some oil. And, a first aid kit!

Did he actually use all the items on the SAK?

If not, I'm a very big fan of Opinel, especially their carbon steel knives:   http://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/opinel-carbon-blades#.VZsxM7Xig40

I and my older two boys have this one.

http://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/opinel-carbon-blades/products/opinel-knives-no-7-carbon-steel-folding-knife#.VZsxYbXig40

But I'm thinking of handing down mine to youngest and getting this one.

http://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/opinel-carbon-blades/products/opinel-carbon-blade-no10-folding-knife#.VZsxqLXig40

Yep. It's been awhile. I also like the Opinel, got one in Spain on my Camino trek two years ago.

Here's a nice "Cub " knife: http://www.scoutstuff.org/cub-scout-lockback-knife.html#.VZsulrtRHIU

And in answer to a long ago request, since the PI function doesn't, herewith our Whittlin' Chip curriculum, one of many that can be found..... https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtu8g107a5e4t1v/ScoutWhitlinChip2.docx?dl=0

Good Scouting to you!

A pocket knife is far to small to effectively dispatch a bear. You need long blade to get enough penetration, needs to be robust as the bear will not hold still while you try to skewer vital organs. 

I like an Enfield bayonet; firmly attached to the end of an Ithaca 12 gauge pump.

http://www.kapesni-noze.cz/inshop/obchod/enfield-m-1917-bayonet+id-MRP803131.html

http://wstrainingacademy.com/files/Ithaca-37.jpg

Read my signature line below V

Edited by JoeBob
  • Upvote 1

@@Eagle94-A1 , For bears, the khukuri has weight for chopping.  And it's short enough to deploy from your tent.  Made me think.

But I still want the distance from claws that is afforded by a long Enfield on a long Ithaca.  The lug on the Enfield is big enough to fit a 12 gauge.  The armorer at A-2-75 informed me that the shotgun was not for shooting, it's to help detach the bayonet when it gets stuck in bone.  Pull the trigger to free the blade.

I need help. My son's den leader has announced on less than a week's notice that the Bears will be doing the whittling chip. I need to buy my son a pocket knife. Can anyone offer guidance on the correct knife to buy for my 9 year old son who has no whittling experience? I'm hoping to find something I can buy from Amazon that he can safely use as a beginner and hopefully continue to use for a few years. I've read references on the internet to certain types of knives not being allowed by the BSA or various packs, but not much info on what *is* allowed. My son's den leader has not responded to my question (typical for him), and scouting.org/scoutstuff has no specific guidance that I can find. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Georgia Mom

I would get a pocket knife with a main blade, bottle opener/screwdriver, and can opener.  Either one of the more basic Swiss army knives, a cheapo imitator, or a Cub Scout knife from the scout shop.  I bought my sons cheapo swiss army type knives. They were cheaper to lose :-) 

I'm sorry, where did I say fixed blade? I didn't. There are two types of folding knives. Locking and non-locking. Our scout camps only sale locking blades which goes against our Pack's knife policy.

Why do you have a policy against lockbladed pocket knives? 

That said, personally, I think the safest knife would be a short-bladed sheath knife, despite Boy Scout discouragement of said knife. As a youth, I never cut myself with my sheath knives, only with my pocket knives.