Where is it Written, travel in uniform?..and is full uniform needed for family camp?

When I was in Europe my New Balance sneakers showed me as American.
Aschaffenburg is safe as ... plus an adult male in BDU is maybe a tad more intimidating than a 10 year old with a flag on his sleeve.

Remember if someone wants to pick a fight, that person is gonna be looking for an easy target.

So if your SM/ASM are civillian and office commandos you cant act like the troops down south where nearly every ASM is an Airborne Ranger.

My IOLS was with the Green Beanies, the Green Berets 8-)

Yes it is sad and heck no I dont like it one bit ... but in the past 20-30 years there have been so many threats and real attacks that us handful that are not

in CONUS (Continental United States) have to watch out a tad bit more. The threat is real.

Usually threat reports are handed to BSA by US personel, but just like a week or 2 ago the german goverment gave out a blanket alert for ALL US posts in germany: too many people pissed off at the NSA, might lead to attacks. Mind you the german Feds gave the alert but local police cant be bothered.

Given the attitude, some people think "we" have it coming anyway.

So better not look too much like Yanks now. Unless ya got SM tendencies ;-)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in Europe my New Balance sneakers showed me as American.
Yes Pakkie. The Tampa Bay Buccaneer jersey really gave me away (I got a couple "Tampa Bay!" call outs in London) as well the fact I had a Van Dyke beard--facial hair was out of fashion when I was there as well. We really stood out in Finland (kids found us fascinating but one night we were backpacking to our hostel in Helsinki and some drunk young Finns roared by in a car and shouted "Damn Swedes!"
Back on Topic.

I ain't ashamed of Wearing the Boy Scout Uniform, not even when I was a Youth.

Why Not show off your pride?

are you ashamed of Being a Scouter?

Amazes me how everyone complains about cost of a Scout Uniform, yet I bet most kids are running around in high Dollar Sneakers and busy texting on the Newest Cellphone on the Market

Traveling in a Uniform easily Identifies Members of your Group? I remember once on the Way to Philmont we stopped to help fix a Flat on a Van. As We started off the Driver looked in the Mirror and realized one of our group was still standing on the roadside

I'm so proud of being a scouter, I drop young women and men off cliffs! (After teaching them how to tie-in on a figure 8 on a bight. ;) )
Back on Topic.

I ain't ashamed of Wearing the Boy Scout Uniform, not even when I was a Youth.

Why Not show off your pride?

are you ashamed of Being a Scouter?

Amazes me how everyone complains about cost of a Scout Uniform, yet I bet most kids are running around in high Dollar Sneakers and busy texting on the Newest Cellphone on the Market

Traveling in a Uniform easily Identifies Members of your Group? I remember once on the Way to Philmont we stopped to help fix a Flat on a Van. As We started off the Driver looked in the Mirror and realized one of our group was still standing on the roadside

Thats great Q. I love abseiling. Or climbing up.

I am so proud to be a scouter, I even push trainers over the EDGE.

I have always worn the uniform when traveling on scout outings. A fellow scouter picked up the dinner tab for my entire crew one evening because my son and I were in uniform.
Yes, I had a similar story as well. But sometimes you would be surprised what boys acting likes scouts will get as well. Our troop of about 60 scouts and adults stopped at a Pizza Hut in a small town in the panhandle of Texas. I believe it was Dumas. We were on our way home to Oklahoma City coming from a week long summer camp in Colorado. We typically wear our Class A uniforms during travel, but our troop stopped and did a half day rafting trip after we left in camp that morning. We didn’t bother to change in our uniforms because, well frankly we were tired, smelly, and nasty from the rafting. We just wanted to get home. Anyways, four hours later in Texas we stopped at the Pizza Hut for dinner. The adults taking a break from driving (and the boys) came in the restaurant a couple minutes after them. The PLC had already found tables and picked one for the adults separated from the scouts. We sat down and ordered a few pizzas and a couple pitchers of sodas. When the manager brought out the first pitchers, he said half the pizza and all the drinks were on Pizza Hut. At this point the adults did not know that anyone knew we were scouts. We certainly didn’t look (or smell) like it, so we were baffled by the generosity. The manager explained that the boys were so orderly and considerate of the other people in the restaurant when they came in, we just knew they had to be boy scouts. So we asked and they told us they were a troop from Oklahoma City. We are impressed and want to acknowledge it by helping out with your bill. When folks talk about bad examples of scouts in public, I always think back on the evening. Barry