Where is it Written, travel in uniform?..and is full uniform needed for family camp?

If you are proud of your uniform. Wear it. It's the best you can do.

The second best you could do is have a chocolate bar for every boy who is in uniform at dinner and/or flags.

My boys were going to an OA event with two OA leaders (our Scoutmaster and a lodge official), all four in uniform. They got stuck in traffic close to a Cape Cod potato chips truck. They asked the driver if he had any food for hungry Scouts. They got a small box of chips and crackers. I've bought Cape Cod chips ever since, and I know it was due to them being in uniform.
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thnking about this, I remember the 140, or so, scouts in the pack when I was asked to be CM didn't have a uniform policy. The way we tackled that problem was through the Webelos by encouraging them to wear full uniforms at all the activities. That wasn't hard to do either because we also give them the same camo booney hats the military soldiers wore. The hats were great because they were very durable for scouting activities, and they looked very cool compared to the BSA baseball caps. My 30 and 27 year old sons still have theirs and most of the scouts wore theirs through Boy Scouts as well. I remember looking at a lot of pictures of scouts at their Eagle COH wearing those booney hats everywhere from the Canadian Boundary Waters to scuba diving in Mexico. Somehow it became a Pack policy that only the Webelos had the honor of wearing the booney hat, so they wore their uniforms with a lot pride, and the younger ages couldn't wait to be Webelos. Because the Webelos looked cool, we never had problems with all the scouts dressing in uniform, even while traveling. Barry
Definitely! I have taken scouts to BWCA for a 9-day trek, cheaper than had they gone to summer camp for 5 days.

Stosh

Insurance? Wearing uniform is about Esprit de Coprs (please excuse my french spelling LOL).

I am for wearing uniform from and to camp, other events and all.

Got Class A's, Class B's and C's. (I wore the Centennial with basic patches as Class B and a full patched brown button old school as Class A).

I was one of the nerds who would wear his cub or scout uniform to school for class picture day 8-)

But this gruesome world sometimes has other plans: BSA TAC Packs/Troops are advised not to wear the Uniform Shirt in public in europe due to the Flag.

We got a terror warning before heading out to summer camp not to appear like 'mericans.

Committee member who relayed the message from the embassy was wearing a t shirt with eagle & flag at the time *facepalm* (she cool though. stubborn LOL).

When I took the cubs out to the world money fair it was also a no-uniforms activity.

Sort of sad if we can only wear our shirts locked up & out of sight if overseas.

Mind you on the way back from summer camp we spent a night at the new Camp Bayern in the army barracks (as in: we didnt sleep in the BSA camp site but the boys got a couple of rooms as the soldiers had left a couple of buildings empty). I love reveille in the morning and I only ever feel safe if I know all my scouts are behind barbed wire ^o^

Around Kandersteg and the International Scout Center you can take the public transport for free if you wear your necker.

In NZ uniforms are worn at all meetings, to and from camp. At camp t shirts with neckers is ok. (They just got new shirts, until 2011 the NZ Uniform was scout polo shirts, no pockets or anything)

Agree with others. The uniform requirement "while traveling so you can be insured by the BSA" is a myth that appears to have no end in sight. The uniform is not required to a member of the BSA or participate in BSA activities, therefore members out-of-uniform will receive BSA insurance coverage. We wear the uniform to proudly identify ourselves as members of the BSA, but that's about it. Whatever your Pack decides to do regarding the uniform is up to your Pack. Have a great outing!

Exactly. Our troop travels in Class As. The way I see it, that uniform is close to $100. I want to see it used. As a leader with two sons, we've got around $300 tied up in uniforms (more if you count all the socks we've lost). I have gotten nothing but praise and compliments from the general public (then again, I do live in the conservative Florida Panhandle) when in uniform. When the troop invaded a Subway on the way to summer camp, one of the other customers gave $20 to the cashier to help with our bill. Little things like that show me that wearing the uniform on travel is a good thing. I think it's good that the general public realizes that there are Boy Scouts outside of parades.
Insurance? Wearing uniform is about Esprit de Coprs (please excuse my french spelling LOL).

Got Class A's, Class B's and C's. (I wore the Centennial with basic patches as Class B and a full patched brown button old school as Class A).

I was one of the nerds who would wear his cub or scout uniform to school for class picture day 8-)

But this gruesome world sometimes has other plans: BSA TAC Packs/Troops are advised not to wear the Uniform Shirt in public in europe due to the Flag.

We got a terror warning before heading out to summer camp not to appear like 'mericans.

Committee member who relayed the message from the embassy was wearing a t shirt with eagle & flag at the time *facepalm* (she cool though. stubborn LOL).

When I took the cubs out to the world money fair it was also a no-uniforms activity.

Sort of sad if we can only wear our shirts locked up & out of sight if overseas.

Mind you on the way back from summer camp we spent a night at the new Camp Bayern in the army barracks (as in: we didnt sleep in the BSA camp site but the boys got a couple of rooms as the soldiers had left a couple of buildings empty). I love reveille in the morning and I only ever feel safe if I know all my scouts are behind barbed wire ^o^

Around Kandersteg and the International Scout Center you can take the public transport for free if you wear your necker.

In NZ uniforms are worn at all meetings, to and from camp. At camp t shirts with neckers is ok. (They just got new shirts, until 2011 the NZ Uniform was scout polo shirts, no pockets or anything)

Our old troop, as well as the neighboring troops, in southern Germany wears the uniform everywhere, including on the trains. Things in Berlin might be dicier.

yeah, I never heard the add on that it was for insurance. I have only heard that a scout is "supposed to wear" his uniform when traveling. I pretty much figured that it wasn't a hard rule.

as a side update, the trip to the fort went well, or so I hear. My whole family ended up with some sort of flu bug, over the weekend so we missed it this year.

Considering Opsec and all: Yes, behind the front lines it would be dicier.

We dont have a Brigade anymore, just a handful of Jarheads.

My old troop was "Outpost of Freedom".

OP is different AO than PX ;-)

When I was in Europe my New Balance sneakers showed me as American.
Clean Shaven and "High-n-Tight" Haircut gave me away...that and the Cowboy Hat and Cowboy Boots. Those Europeans could spot 'MERICANS in the Dark...especially once we start Talking

I walked all over Aschaffenburg Germany daily in BDU's..I did not feel the need to hide when Off duty.

Back on Topic.

I ain't ashamed of Wearing the Boy Scout Uniform, not even when I was a Youth.

Why Not show off your pride?

are you ashamed of Being a Scouter?

Amazes me how everyone complains about cost of a Scout Uniform, yet I bet most kids are running around in high Dollar Sneakers and busy texting on the Newest Cellphone on the Market

Traveling in a Uniform easily Identifies Members of your Group? I remember once on the Way to Philmont we stopped to help fix a Flat on a Van. As We started off the Driver looked in the Mirror and realized one of our group was still standing on the roadside

Back on Topic.

I ain't ashamed of Wearing the Boy Scout Uniform, not even when I was a Youth.

Why Not show off your pride?

are you ashamed of Being a Scouter?

Amazes me how everyone complains about cost of a Scout Uniform, yet I bet most kids are running around in high Dollar Sneakers and busy texting on the Newest Cellphone on the Market

Traveling in a Uniform easily Identifies Members of your Group? I remember once on the Way to Philmont we stopped to help fix a Flat on a Van. As We started off the Driver looked in the Mirror and realized one of our group was still standing on the roadside

I am so proud to be a scouter, I wear a BSA Stetson smokey bear. Top that.