As time goes on and I see more scouts with issues my takeaway is that (1) You are doing an enormous service to scouts with borderline and moderate issues as the scout program gives them more option than schools today--many of them progress dramatically (2) those with more serious issues benefit by being in a different environment and getting some life skills and teach the rest about being around someone who is different. I have had a few scouts who had more severe autism and realize 'they are the way they are' and that can be tough for all concerned.

• 1 month later...

I know this is and old thread but I wanted to add a few things. My son is what what is now know as high functioning autistic in a nut shell aspergers. His educational psychologist has suggested that He will do great in planned social activity and more interaction with groups to me that says Cubs Scouts (fun with a purpose right) I am also his den leader witch makes its easier for everybody. He also has a buddy that has some of the same issues also in his den. The important thing to remember is that he is letting you in to his world on his terms they are very rigged.

I am severely dyslexic my spell checker is my best friend if I have made any mistakes hear please forgive me as I was growing up the extra activities scouts sports extra was were I received my self esteem since I was struggling so hard just to get minor passing grades in school.

As for the other parents just remind them that he is different and can really benefit the most from scouting and he does try I like the idea of a den chief to be his buddy