Repeating Kindergarten

IMHO the "early birds" often don't stay. If they are just not quite ready they can be put off at several points along the cub scout trail. I did have one "former Eagle Scout" parent press me on this. I think he was starting on an "early Eagle quest"!!! I did suggest he sign up for ADL and never heard from him again.
One early bird from Son #1's den stayed and Eagle'd at 16. He did stop attending scouts for a few months, but came back ready to do dig in an do the work. Then his dad found a job in warmer climes and the family moved away. :(

My den (wolf) currently has one scout that is in 1st grade. His mom held him back in Kindergarten (else he'd be in 2nd) and when he was signed up for scouts this year, the recruiters put him in our den instead of the Tigers due to his age. So far it hasn't caused any conflict but he is the appropriate age (he's actually older than some of our scouts that started school early due to how their birthday falls.) If a scout didn't meet the age or grade requirement, I'd suggest waiting.