Can a parent with felony convictions attend troop meetings?

Can a parent with felony convictions attend troop meetings?  

3 members have voted

1. 1.

This is a very difficult question and I am having no luck finding an answer. I know that the BSA has policies in place with regards to Adult Leaders with criminal records, however I can not find anything about parents with records. We have a parent who has been inactive until recently, and now he is attending troop meetings, and committee meetings. Now other parents are expressing concern about him being there due to his criminal record. I am open to ANY advice, knowledge, comments about this situation! Thank-you in advance~

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By all means, marginalize the person. Make absolutely certain that the parent and family never feel or become a part of society again. It doesn't matter if they've 'paid their debt', make 'em pay, and

Type of felony and how long ago are important. Obviously a violent felon would make people uncomfortable. A conversation with the CO about the situation would be in order and possibly your council. I would not have much of an issue at troop meetings as there are plenty of adults around, unless he is on the committee he really doesn't have a right to be there.

KDD has it right. Without very specific knowledge how do we know????

Your poll is to generic to be of any use. and I am guessing your the single no vote. I have issue with violent or sexual crimes but that isn't what you asked in your poll.

The thing you need to remember Kay, is scouting is about the boys. Too many adults get wrapped up in various power trips and forget the lads.

So you go and make a big deal about this, and the guy gets asked to never show up again who loses???? The felons son, who is not at fault......

KDD your incorrect, parents have every right to attend committee meetings if they like, just as they can attend any campout, meeting or ceremony.

Your poll is to generic to be of any use. and I am guessing your the single no vote. I have issue with violent or sexual crimes but that isn't what you asked in your poll.

The thing you need to remember Kay, is scouting is about the boys. Too many adults get wrapped up in various power trips and forget the lads.

So you go and make a big deal about this, and the guy gets asked to never show up again who loses???? The felons son, who is not at fault......

KDD your incorrect, parents have every right to attend committee meetings if they like, just as they can attend any campout, meeting or ceremony.

Do they have any rights beyond observer ?

I can tell you they are drug convictions that included distributing to minors. However they are from over ten years ago. What concerns people is the possibility that he hasn't changed his ways, as he seems to spend a lot of time with other known offenders. I just wasn't sure if there was a specific policy regarding parents as there is for Adult Leaders. I have tried to put my personal feelings aside when investigating this. I have many years of law enforcement experience, and sadly that has soured my opinion on the rehabilitation of repeat felons.

I am very grateful for your input, and I apologize for the poll, wasn't very clear on that.

I can tell you they are drug convictions that included distributing to minors. However they are from over ten years ago. What concerns people is the possibility that he hasn't changed his ways, as he seems to spend a lot of time with other known offenders. I just wasn't sure if there was a specific policy regarding parents as there is for Adult Leaders. I have tried to put my personal feelings aside when investigating this. I have many years of law enforcement experience, and sadly that has soured my opinion on the rehabilitation of repeat felons.

I am very grateful for your input, and I apologize for the poll, wasn't very clear on that.

Try to find a solution that does not hurt the scout. Drugs/minors/continued association is a big red flag for me and I suspect most people as well. You must bring the CO and DE or SE in on this.

Just remember this boy needs scouts and positive role models.

Have you talked with this parent about your concerns ?

generally if they show up I hand them an application.

Why shouldn't a parent be allowed to vote or at least voice an opinion on what the committee's current discussion is........ They have skin in the game.

We have excellent leadership with little to no parental support. Now this particular parent is trying to rally the other parents blaming the dwindling numbers on our current leadership. Sadly without the leaders we have, there would be no leaders at all. We support and encourage all of our scouts the best we can and do our best to help them to have the best scouting experience possible. We do not have much support fro our council, but we do have an excellent CO. I think maybe trying to get the parents together and see what they want to do, because if our leadership steps down, there will be no leaders left, as none of our leaders have children in the troop. Thank you again for the input.

Before we go any further what is your position with the troop? If your a parent you need to stop immediately, your putting your nose where it doesn't belong.

I am going to ask how you found out about his 10 year old convictions as well.

So the drug conviction is 10 years ago.

He might be in his late twenties or early thirties currently. so your going to penalize an adult for mistakes possibly made as a youth. The distribution to minors might be he was 18 and his buddy was 17 and he was ratted out.

Again we don't know.

Far as him associating with other know offenders, you need to explain exactly how you know that???????? Short of stalking him and seeing him smoking the reefer personally it is all hear say and you might be liable if your spreading rumors.

KDD I would not say a peep to the other parents. What is the point? Alienate them,

This is a troop leadership issue and more specifically an issue for the COR,CC and SM to address in private. The SM and ASM's can keep an eye on things with two deep leadership it is a nonissue

We have excellent leadership with little to no parental support. Now this particular parent is trying to rally the other parents blaming the dwindling numbers on our current leadership. Sadly without the leaders we have, there would be no leaders at all. We support and encourage all of our scouts the best we can and do our best to help them to have the best scouting experience possible. We do not have much support fro our council, but we do have an excellent CO. I think maybe trying to get the parents together and see what they want to do, because if our leadership steps down, there will be no leaders left, as none of our leaders have children in the troop. Thank you again for the input.
So your felon parent wants to blame the failing troop on current leadership. The simple fix is to hand him an application and have him fill it out. He passes make him and ASM and get him trained. He fails well then his opinion is irrelevent.

He may be right, How do you know your leadership is excellent? What are you comparing it to or with?

As Beavah would say, Yah, hmmmm. I have several concerns. Allowing a non-registered adult to have regular, direct contact with the youth is a concern. Knowing that the adult is a convicted felon involving minors raises the level of concern to the point of a Youth Protection concern. I think the troop committee needs to have a discussion with the Scout Executive and ask for guidance. I agree, that a non-registered adult attending committee meetings and having a "vote" is inappropriate. They are not a member of the unit...their son is. Those who are registered have a right to fulfill their duties without outside interference from those who are unable to become registered. I also agree that if KayW is not a registered leader, she is on thin ice. I think Beavah would also admonish us that spreading "hearsay" about a fellow parent without substantiated legal evidence (legally obtained) is dangerous.

By all means, marginalize the person. Make absolutely certain that the parent and family never feel or become a part of society again. It doesn't matter if they've 'paid their debt', make 'em pay, and their kids pay, forever. Write them off.

• Upvote 1
As Beavah would say, Yah, hmmmm. I have several concerns. Allowing a non-registered adult to have regular, direct contact with the youth is a concern. Knowing that the adult is a convicted felon involving minors raises the level of concern to the point of a Youth Protection concern. I think the troop committee needs to have a discussion with the Scout Executive and ask for guidance. I agree, that a non-registered adult attending committee meetings and having a "vote" is inappropriate. They are not a member of the unit...their son is. Those who are registered have a right to fulfill their duties without outside interference from those who are unable to become registered. I also agree that if KayW is not a registered leader, she is on thin ice. I think Beavah would also admonish us that spreading "hearsay" about a fellow parent without substantiated legal evidence (legally obtained) is dangerous.
So PD, how many unregistered parents do you have at your meetings and outings???

I know that I have handed apps to adults and let them know the BSA will do a background check, they and their scout disappear never to be seen again.