Interpreter Strips ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you serious? You couldn't find anything better to do than go to an interpreter strip exhibit ? How was the Trained Patch exhibit ?

Ah that's way cool; my Sindarin is better than my Quenya, lol.

I think I have an answer. 16. There are only 16 approved interpreter strips. Might need an xxxl shirt however. :)http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-019_WB.pdf
Those are just the ones Nationals produces patches for. They encourage you to have your own made if they don't make one for your particular language, heard as much when I went to the Interpreter Strip exhibit at Jamboree.

Wear as many strips as you can really speak languages.

I had 4 years of french in high school and went to language school in canada twice but still dont wear the francaise strip ^o^ being honest.

I got Deutsch on all my shirts. I started a couple more languages already:

my grandma was and interpreter and spoke 8 or 9 languages and my grandpa as an historian could only speak like 7 O_o

The joke in our Troop was, as a majority did not have english as a first language, we should have "english" strips... but SM said that being BSA, even overseas, that was out of the question :-D

Berliner,

I have been told that "English" interpreter strips have custom ordered for troops in Puerto Rico. And if it is a real language, BSA will make them. I had to custom order some for folks when I worked supply.

Berliner,

I have been told that "English" interpreter strips have custom ordered for troops in Puerto Rico. And if it is a real language, BSA will make them. I had to custom order some for folks when I worked supply.

Anyone ever try to order Klingon or Shyriiwook (wookie) ?
Berliner,

sorry Eagle92 but I cant believe that ... Puerto Rico is like a Colony, sort of the 51st State aye.

To my knowledge no BSA scout is allowed to wear an "english" interpreter strip as - with the exception of sign language - speaking eloquent and fluent proper english is the base requierment for being a Boy Scout in 'Merica. We had a few discussion alright but Trans Atlantic is hard on this issue. Mind you some SMs be handing the strips out while some actually demand the skills, as everywhere.

English is only my 3rd of currently 5-7 languages, depending on if starting them counts :-P

KDD - if you can run a program in fluent Vulcan or what not, why not?

I think I have an answer. 16. There are only 16 approved interpreter strips. Might need an xxxl shirt however. :)http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-019_WB.pdf
Well, I wanted to find out the answer to specifically this question because I wanted to do an interpreter strip in a somewhat lesser-studied language. And it was on the way to something else. So... :)

It was actually pretty cool. They were doing testing on-site for a bunch of languages, things like that.

Berliner,

Berliner,

Person telling me this worked for supply division. It was when I had to custom order Tagalog. They said if it is a real language and not ordinarily made, they would custom make it. Gave the example of English and Puerto Rico.

In regards to Klingon, I knew a Trekie who spoke fluent Klingon and tried to use it to meet his foreign language requirement for college. Didn't happen. On a Scouting note, I've seen the joke patches for Klingon.

• 2 years later...

I was reading through old thread (so I apologive for diggin this up), but official BSA policy states that 3 is the maximum number. I wear Spanish and French, though I admit I wish I could add an Elvish patch, lol.

At the moment, wife could, stress could, wear French and Greek strips with her vintage Den mother uniform. Won't do it because she hates tan on the blue dress. She has French on her Venturing uniform. She didn't want me to order Greek as she didn't like how the tan strip looked on the green uniform when I got it for her.

Now if they had a Quenya strip, I bet she would go for it in a heartbeat!

Edited by Eagle94-A1