Uniforms on Camping Trips and Hikes

When all is said and done and terminology has been redefined multiple times over the years. I have often wondered why they call it the field uniform and then not wear it in the field. I'm thinking if they wanted a dress uniform they would come up with something else to look better than the field uniform.

Stosh

I've been around a long time and I have never seen a fully uniformed troop where there wasn't some heavy influence from the adults one way or another. Not that I'm judging, I really don't care. But one has to take "it's the boys program" with a grain of salt. Our uniform policy is the scout handbook. It's pretty cut and dry, which keeps the adults from influencing the scouts with their personal opinions. We do have an activities uniform, mostly to give the field uniform a break in the Oklahoma 100 degree heat. But field uniforms are expected at meals and assemblies. Our guys do know how to wash uniform. I personally feel the uniform is a great tool for character self reflection. Just about every boy passes through a phase (around 14 years old) of paying special attention to their self image while wearing the uniform. How they handle it is a reflection of their character and a great opportunity to guide them in the values involved with the uniform. I also find adults struggle with the Uniform method more than any of the Other seven methods because their reasoning for or against it is more emotional than pragmatic to the growth of the scouts. Boys aren't near as emotional about uniforms and as a result, they are rebellious when they don't get reasonable answers that apply to their generation. Barry

I've been around a long time and I have never seen a fully uniformed troop where there wasn't some heavy influence from the adults one way or another. Not that I'm judging, I really don't care. But one has to take "it's the boys program" with a grain of salt. Our uniform policy is the scout handbook. It's pretty cut and dry, which keeps the adults from influencing the scouts with their personal opinions. We do have an activities uniform, mostly to give the field uniform a break in the Oklahoma 100 degree heat. But field uniforms are expected at meals and assemblies. Our guys do know how to wash uniform. I personally feel the uniform is a great tool for character self reflection. Just about every boy passes through a phase (around 14 years old) of paying special attention to their self image while wearing the uniform. How they handle it is a reflection of their character and a great opportunity to guide them in the values involved with the uniform. I also find adults struggle with the Uniform method more than any of the Other seven methods because their reasoning for or against it is more emotional than pragmatic to the growth of the scouts. Boys aren't near as emotional about uniforms and as a result, they are rebellious when they don't get reasonable answers that apply to their generation. Barry
I also find adults struggle with the Uniform method

Well,

1. There was no Uniform Method prior to 1982...just 7 methods of Scouting before then.

2. The uniform is still optional.

3. A scout is a scout whether he is wearing the uniform or not.

3. The Aims of Scouting can be achieved without uniforms.

My father was too poor to buy a uniform as were the rest in his patrol/troop. All $ saved and earned went to other gear. Their "uniform" was a handmade arm band with a drawn on patrol emblem.

While i do not find the Field uniform 100% practical for field use. I do think some improvements have been made since I joined in the mid 80s.

I like the 1st generation nylon switchback pants, the ones with the zipper in the ankles. Ok they had the wrong waist sizes, and were a little long, but I have used them in the field for both scouting and non-scouting outdoor events.

I am also glad for the Thorlo lt. uniform hiking socks, http://www.scoutstuff.org/centennial-boy-scouttm-uniform-thorlo-lt-hiking-crew-sock.html, and again have used them for the outdoors. Only complaint I have about them is that BSA is stamped onthe foot of the sock, not made into the top like the green uniform socks, and some "uniform police" have tried to nail me on that. PLUS I've found the same exact socks, with BSA on them, at Walmart once. Also don;t like the fact they do not make a knee sock version ;)

Haven't used the Thorlos foudn here yet:http://www.scoutstuff.org/centennial-boy-scouttm-uniform-thorlo-hiking-sock.html

As for the shirts, the original ODL shirt wasn't for the ouotdoors IMHO. I got a long sleeve Centennial shirt, and it's ok. Don't have one of the newer shirts with a yoke.

BUT I loved the tan, collared activity shirt made just before the CUs came out. Used that alot in the summer