Yeah, that level of blatant dishonesty deserves to be kicked up a rung or two. Dismissal may be steep, but removal from PORs and an extended period of probation under which he is ineligible for advancement is certainly in order. Any SM conferences or non-advancement boards of review need to include the parents. Honestly, how we resolve things like this depends much on the parent's attitude. If we feel as the parents are supporting and working with us, we are much more likely to let them deal with the situation. If mom and dad come in with an attitude it won't go as well.
A gold bordered eagle? For doing it the right way? If we could figure out how to document it, I'm all for it. I could tell story after story ..... but them so can most of us here
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cat comes when called. Sits up and begs for treats and when it's on the kitchen counter and I tell it to "get down", he starts to dance.   So what's the problem?   Stosh

How did the boy get a MB card signed by his SM ? Sure he can take care of another dog but I wouldn't accept the cat. That may fall under the Pets MB. Check GTA 2013 7.0.4.7 Limited Recourse for Unearned Merit Badges You need to act swiftly, within 30 days. The Scout may have done the badge because he wants a dog. Hopefully what he did with the badge taught him how expensive owning a dog is. More than the cost of scouts in many cases.
The merit badge cards are in the troop cabinet. No secret, heck he could have even had one left over from summer camp. No idea where he got it.

Heck we had one mom years ago bought a pack of blue cards at the scout shop and tried to cub scout it.

Yeah, that level of blatant dishonesty deserves to be kicked up a rung or two. Dismissal may be steep, but removal from PORs and an extended period of probation under which he is ineligible for advancement is certainly in order. Any SM conferences or non-advancement boards of review need to include the parents. Honestly, how we resolve things like this depends much on the parent's attitude. If we feel as the parents are supporting and working with us, we are much more likely to let them deal with the situation. If mom and dad come in with an attitude it won't go as well.
One and done, is that how ya do it Bando?????

I am not talking about superstars. But a lad who can take care of himself. He can build a fire even if it takes an attempt or two.

I expect each and everyone of my boys to have the expected skill set. While a lad can have an off day now and again, all have the first class skill set and will not embarrass themselves or scouting if asked to perform them.

you have heard the comment about Eagle scout fire starter when someone dumps charcoal lighter on a fire to get it going or the Eagle scout who can't tie a square knot.

Before you shred the card, schedule a meeting with the councillor, scout, his parents and maybe your committee chair and scoutmaster, couldn't hurt to involve the unit Comissioner too. Start by has king the lad what the 1st point if the scout law is. Then allow a large enough shovel for him dig his hole. Shred when hole is complete.... Key is his parents should be there, and the others so there are witnesses to the 'falsehoods' told
Edit: Replied to the wrong comment.
I don't care. There is exactly one classification for Eagle Scout: Eagle Scout. There are no comparisons. No "mine are better," "yours aren't qualified." An Eagle Scout is an Eagle Scout.

If you want to take issue with the adults in the process, go ahead. But comparing kids to pump our egos about how good we are at running a boy-led program or keeping hardcore standards for scout skills is a pointless exercise. Do your best for your kids, but don't use your standards or their qualifications as a stick to beat down others. I wonder how kids learn anything with such negative, pompous examples of adults at the back of the room.

ugh, this one really ticks me off. I am so glad they have finally allowed some way of recourse for when you know the Scout did not do the work. My younger son badly wants a dog, and the dog care badge, but he will not be getting a dog until he can work and pay for it himself.
Qwazse, in order for that to work efficiently, it has to be really, really dark chocolate. And even that is no guarantee. In the night, our dog would sneak wife's purse off the table and extract the Hershey Kisses without disturbing the other contents, and carefully extract each from the foil. Next morning we'd find the purse on the floor with a little pile of foils and a really guilty-looking dog. That dog did 'guilty' the best of any I've ever seen. But she was a really sneaky dog and had lots of practice being guilty.
My cat comes when called. Sits up and begs for treats and when it's on the kitchen counter and I tell it to "get down", he starts to dance.

So what's the problem?

Stosh

Basement,

You might need to be a bit older to understand the comment. :)

Stosh

ugh, this one really ticks me off. I am so glad they have finally allowed some way of recourse for when you know the Scout did not do the work. My younger son badly wants a dog, and the dog care badge, but he will not be getting a dog until he can work and pay for it himself.
So does a dog attract or repel bears ?
You wonder why many don't view Eagle as much of anything any more.

Thanks for the compliment. I will remain in the back of the room and provide a program where there would not be one otherwise. If you view me holding the boys to the standard and expecting them to repeat it as negative then so be it.

Well Basement and I'll will both be in the back of the room along with Baden-Powell. I do believe it was BP who coined the phrase "Parlour Scout". He could tell the difference regardless of the patch on the shirt.

Stosh

So here is what I am going to do.

I have emailed the SPL and asked for 10 minutes monday night to address the troop on the Hows of the Merit badge program.

I will contact scout and ask him to bring the picture of the dog, the merit badge book or requirements and his mother. I will ask him to review the requirements and then ask him if he fulfilled them.

He holds no POR, He will not receive the badge, I will not suspend him. He is a good boy for what ever reason decided to make a mistake over a completely stupid merit badge.

I will mention that I am disappointed that he decided to lie to the merit badge councilor and he should do the right thing in the future.

End of Story.

So here is what I am going to do.

I have emailed the SPL and asked for 10 minutes monday night to address the troop on the Hows of the Merit badge program.

I will contact scout and ask him to bring the picture of the dog, the merit badge book or requirements and his mother. I will ask him to review the requirements and then ask him if he fulfilled them.

He holds no POR, He will not receive the badge, I will not suspend him. He is a good boy for what ever reason decided to make a mistake over a completely stupid merit badge.

I will mention that I am disappointed that he decided to lie to the merit badge councilor and he should do the right thing in the future.

End of Story.

If it were me sitting down with him I'd make a small change. Before I'd tell him he won't receive the badge, and he knows he did something wrong, I'd ask him what he thinks the right thing to do is. If he says he doesn't deserve the badge then he gets it, I'm not the bad guy, and it's a good lesson in the end. He may also whine, in which case I'd continue with your plan.
1 They are not MY standards, they are the BSA standards. I have never added anything to any req. nor will I subtract anything. (unless the scout has some handicap which renders him unable ) If the book says demonstrate then I expect a demonstration not " I listened to some guy at camp talk about it. He said that it would count"

2 If that makes me "negative or pompous" in your eyes, I guess I can live with that

I guess I should add that if a scout comes to board of review, and has no clue how to do something he has been signed off on, I do not fail him for that. ever. But I do have a talk with who ever passed him off, and strongly suggest that they go over the skill again at the earliest opportunity

What do you mean by 'attract'? Actually, bears will try to stay away from dogs, as demonstrated during numerous bear hunts with dogs. Bears get excited if dogs are around and as a result they might react unpredictably. Moreover, dog food most definitely IS attractive to bears, same as odoriferous human food. A bear conditioned to expect to find food might be attracted if they detect the presence of a dog.
  • 2 weeks later...

To follow up......I had a sit down with lad and mom last week.

Had the merit badge book in hand and asked him So explain to me how you did #4 which is track your dog care for 2 months and you don't have a dog....and I spoke with you MBC and he mentioned he was led to believe you had a dog thru pictures and talking with you.

So could you explain to me how you completed #4? He stumbled along that he should be able to count his cat, because it was a pet and he took care of it. I agreed there are similar, but a dog certainly isn't a cat.

So the MBC believed you had a dog, what lead him to that conclusion????

Well the lad manned up and said he had mislead the councilor, he was just about in tears. Mom sat there and didn't say anything. I asked him what I should do with the merit badge card???? He said to throw it away. I thanked him and mom for meeting with me. end of story.....

I still get vibe, awe ya caught me from the scout.

I have a young man that did personal management in a week, I have asked to see his financial records and will speak with the MBC if I have concerns after that......