National Volunteer Training Courses

I would like to attend one of the National Volunteer Training Courses at Sea Base next year, and am considering either "Delivering Training to Unit Leaders", "STEM – Discovering the possibilities for your District and Council", or "Conducting Advanced Leadership Training". My purpose in attending is to help create a better program for the boys in my troop and district. I am curious if anyone has any recommendations, experience or counsel on these classes.

Are you currently involved in district operations? If not, I would start there. First, I believe registration for the courses will require the recommendation of your DE or SE. Secondly -- and this especially applies to the training courses -- you need to see where you fit in to the existing training program. Here, at least, serving on the training committee is incredibly political. Someone unilaterally taking national-level courses with the intent of bettering the existing training program would not be well received. Clearly, other districts/councils go begging for folks willing to serve as trainers. You need to find out where you are.

Are you currently involved in district operations? If not, I would start there. First, I believe registration for the courses will require the recommendation of your DE or SE. Secondly -- and this especially applies to the training courses -- you need to see where you fit in to the existing training program. Here, at least, serving on the training committee is incredibly political. Someone unilaterally taking national-level courses with the intent of bettering the existing training program would not be well received. Clearly, other districts/councils go begging for folks willing to serve as trainers. You need to find out where you are.
Our Council Project Director asked me to attend, and since we have need for each, he asked me to see which one I thought was best. While I was leaning toward STEM, he thought the Advanced Class would be interesting. I am the Council's LNT Advocate and a District Commissioner, and we need people to serve. We have a great Council and District to work with; we just lack some more good leaders.
So If you were honestly and truly qualified to teach a STEM topic why do you go to more training????

Kinda reminds me of the security guard that taught Atomic Energy merit badge........Hmmm really, you guys understand he is a security guard at Kmart

BD, the course sounds like it's for people who aren't in STEM fields themselves, but need to figure out where to start to make it happen in their district.
So If you were honestly and truly qualified to teach a STEM topic why do you go to more training????

Kinda reminds me of the security guard that taught Atomic Energy merit badge........Hmmm really, you guys understand he is a security guard at Kmart

I really don't know that much about the STEM program, that is why I am interested. I don't believe it's so much the content material but the program. That is why I posted the question.

One question that is always in the back of my mind about STEM "Is it really a good direction to go with scouting?" I like the leadership and outdoor skills aspect of scouting but I wonder about trying to expand it to areas outside the core concepts in any depth. Maybe I should make that a post.

Pcola, I was really gung-ho about it in cubs because it beats making drums out of coffee cans, but now that I have a fuller understanding of BS trying to add that on seems a little much. What are your priorities? Proper sleep, homework, reading, music practice, chores, exercise, some play time, maybe some sports, Scoutcraft, required merit badges, after school clubs, friends, family.

Stop the insanity! :)

As you can tell I am getting overwhelmed trying to juggle it all.

I know national wants the scout to be 1st class before working on the Supernova.

Just back from, troop, crew mtg., then soccer ... That last one was a bit of a surprise, so yeah, I feel your pain.

That said, my scouting career was rife with sciences. So, the importance of this is not lost on me.