Knowing what you know now, would you still have taken Woodbadge?

Absolutely. The quality of the course depends greatly on both the staff and participants. You need enthusiasm and participation from both. A couple of sticks in the mud on either side of the table can really bring a program down.

I would go so far as to say that if for some unforeseeable reason I moved to another council, I would retake the course just for the opportunity to meet other Scouters and get the feel for the culture of the new council. Two long weekends at camp with your fellow Scouters. Who wouldn't?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had not a clue as to what I was getting myself into when I took it. WE1-492-09 is my course. I was just a Tiger Den Leader and decided to become the Cubmaster. I was only a Cubscout for one year ba

I thought about taking it again when I moved to my new Council, but a mere hour of Roundtable is more than I can bear.   Wood Badge would still be a place to meet other Scouters if it was about Bad

Absolutely. I credit WB with saving my troop. We spun off from another unit, and were in the death spiral of losing older scouts and no replacements. By implementing the patrol method, a PLC with

Absolutely. The quality of the course depends greatly on both the staff and participants. You need enthusiasm and participation from both. A couple of sticks in the mud on either side of the table can really bring a program down.

I would go so far as to say that if for some unforeseeable reason I moved to another council, I would retake the course just for the opportunity to meet other Scouters and get the feel for the culture of the new council. Two long weekends at camp with your fellow Scouters. Who wouldn't?

You know that's a very great point...Before the course I'd say I knew one or two scouters at events, mostly from Roundtable...now I find scouters everywhere, whether staff or participant....

I thought about taking it again when I moved to my new Council, but a mere hour of Roundtable is more than I can bear.

Wood Badge would still be a place to meet other Scouters if it was about Baden-Powell rather than Bruce Tuckman.

• Upvote 1
I would take it again only because I met several great resources I would not have. Otherwise' date=' I consider it mainly a rite of passage.[/quote']

Yep, definitely a rite of passage, but the passages that it opens up are not for everyone and not always desirable.

I would take it again only because I met several great resources I would not have. Otherwise' date=' I consider it mainly a rite of passage.[/quote']

Yep, definitely a rite of passage, but the passages that it opens up are not for everyone and not always desirable.

A right of passage.....

.So you can join the good old boys club????

Join the Beaded coffee circle at roundtable.

So those who wear beads will treat you as an equal????

Thats odd, I rarely see another participant. Most of the folks I run into have already left scouting.

That's surprising...most of mine were the rah-rah types. You know the ones....

Basement, I suspect those things would exist in the absence of Wood Badge. I'm not sure the presence of beads is the key to arrogance. Mostly we're just people acting like the monkeys that we are. Anyway, I don't drink coffee and when I approach groups of scouters like the ones you suggest, I always approach as if I am the novice, the newbie, the outsider. Social status can be a fun game to 'mess with'. But it doesn't work if you let 'arrogance' get to you.

I am a member of the beaded club, I enjoy coffee, I don't wear beads or knots, Just a plain old shirt with unit numbers council strip and Position patch.

Pack your right, It is human nature. I don't care, but the funny thing is one of the topics at last months roundtable was increasing attendance. I mentioned not wearing beads, flair or babbles and not hang around the coffee pot and introducing your self and offering a hand shake to everyone you do not know.

I get going and hanging with folks ya know and catching up. I am going to guess the average age at roundtable is 60. We need it to be 40.

That might explain why our experience is different in our council, our average classes are 50/50 (give or take) cubs and troop leaders. It keeps the average age about the same as the units. Barry

Why do beads preclude someone from talking to someone else? Are these some kind of magic beads that turn you into a person incapable of socializing at roundtables? And, for that matter, knots?

All the Woodbadgers I know are devoted scouters who set an example, beads or no beads. It's an extra level of training. And like anything else, it's what you make it. A bad personality is a bad personality, whether your beads are on your shirt or in your sock drawer. Sounds to me like the issue is with individual, bad apple Woodbadgers, not the training itself.

Locally, in order to speak to the beaded coffee circle you must own a set of beads.

I considered buying some beads off of ebay and handing them out to everyone entering roundtable . The old everyone is special so no body it routine.

They are old codgers thats all, but they snub all or most new folks.

Just another case of folks thinking their better than each other.

I thought about taking it again when I moved to my new Council, but a mere hour of Roundtable is more than I can bear.

Wood Badge would still be a place to meet other Scouters if it was about Baden-Powell rather than Bruce Tuckman.

I like the comment about Roundtable. I wholeheartedly agree.

Forget eBay. MARDIGRAS!!!

Basement, you're missing an opportunity to have some fun in those situations. When you get a snub like that, THAT is the time to transform yourself into Mr. Bumbling Space Cadet, who doesn't have the sensory ability to register a snub and instead just 'acts' like one of them. I can tell you from personal experience, if you can take on this 'act' it can be a load of fun watching the reactions and the discomfort, even annoyance. And let me tell you I have learned that I have the ability to be REALLY annoying....and here's a little secret: I think YOU have this ability as well.

Now, don't blush....c'mon, admit it. You KNOW you have that ability, don't you? It's time to shrug off the indignity and turn that snub in to a source of torment for them and secret delight for you. Give it a try.