How Prepared are Utah Scouts?

Kinda uneasy feeling with this thread. Utah Scouts? The boys weren't the one's tipping things over. Utah Scouters? Maybe.

Park rangers have more problem with the youth or the adults?

I'm thinking this is not limited to Utah either. Hopefully that isn't some code word for LDS.

Just a feeling.

RememberSchiff, I'm not assuming anything on your part, it's more of a feeling on my part.

Stosh

I just took "Utah Scouts" from the article headline. I agree not limited to any one state or CO, maybe Utah publicizes it more? :)
Kinda uneasy feeling with this thread. Utah Scouts? The boys weren't the one's tipping things over. Utah Scouters? Maybe.

Park rangers have more problem with the youth or the adults?

I'm thinking this is not limited to Utah either. Hopefully that isn't some code word for LDS.

Just a feeling.

RememberSchiff, I'm not assuming anything on your part, it's more of a feeling on my part.

Stosh

I kinda assumed that so I just left it as "an uneasy feeling."

Stosh

Lets not forget that every opportunity media gets to degrade scouting they tend to take; but they hardly ever publicize the far more common positive actions.

Yeah Skeptic I'd bet this is true of the media with regards to most anything... they like to villianize anything they can to get readership or get you to turn in to the nightly news. Anything that purports itself to be "good", BSA, youth pastor, school teacher, cop, etc... is automatically a lightening rod if / when something bad happens anywhere close to the "good" thing. It makes the news that more sensational, eh?

Lets not forget that every opportunity media gets to degrade scouting they tend to take; but they hardly ever publicize the far more common positive actions.

Yeah Skeptic I'd bet this is true of the media with regards to most anything... they like to villianize anything they can to get readership or get you to turn in to the nightly news. Anything that purports itself to be "good", BSA, youth pastor, school teacher, cop, etc... is automatically a lightening rod if / when something bad happens anywhere close to the "good" thing. It makes the news that more sensational, eh?

I noticed a long time ago, the media that has been attacking these "good" things has taken an even bigger hit in their credibility. Real journalism went down the toilet a loooong time ago. I used to avoid the opinion page because it really wasn't news. Now I avoid the whole thing because that's all it is, one big opinion page. Haven't read a newspaper for years. It's been over 20 years since I had one delivered to my house.

I have been involved in a ton of events that "made the news". 100% of the time, the reporters got it wrong. There has to be some reason for it, but I can't for the world figure it out.

Stosh

BSA is held to a higher standard because we claim to HAVE a higher standard. So when someone screws up they get called on it. Gee BSA likes pictures of quasi-military uniformed boys standing on the summit with an american flag it is kinda asking for it. It seems GSUSA does not really portray itself the same way and I think that is partially why I do not think they get picked on. The message I get about Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts is that it is (true or not) all about the kids and fun.

As for journalist they just don't have the time to research anything anymore. And sometimes what we may think of as news is not of interest to their viewers. And there are times there really aren't "two sides of a story" though they will try to find it.

I do not agree that media takes every opportunity to degrade scouting at least in my experience at the local level. I see plenty of local stories about Eagle scout projects, food drives, and pinewood derby. One Troop got booted by their CO over the new gay policy and they got lots of favorable articles --and offers of new meeting places--folks were upset the boys got caught in the middle. But if you are a Scout Master and you do something really bad they are gonna pick up on that.

I told my youth this week that discipline regarding fire management, first aid skills, and orienteering are the first step toward high adventure. I know they can haul bodies and packs anywhere, but when they stop for a break, their attention to detail needs to be flawless.

Arguing with me or SM that a fire is out even though their hands feel the warmth does not instill confidence.

Training is the problem, not the solution.

Baden-Powell designed a week-long immersion course to teach indoor volunteers how to think like outdoorsmen.

Leadership Development reversed the course to teach indoor volunteers how to think like a CEO.

The problem is that we pay our mountaintop CEO role model a million dollars a year to explain why camping is not "inclusive," and to heap ridicule upon the Scoutcraft program guaranteed to America's children by an Act of Congress.

And its not just the Utah Scouters that are out Storming and Deforming:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/leave_no_trace.htm