Is this typical boy scouts?

These are just 11 year old boys. no 12 year olds or older- except the "helper". I understand that boys are unruly creatures, but my 10 year old webelos have finally learned to behave. So, once they move on to boy scouts, they can become wild and unruly again?
They went over safe swim two weeks ago. Apparently no boys showed up last week. Last night they discussed number 10 for the merit badge, which is the health benefits, reasons that would get in the way of swimming as exercise, etc.
These are just 11 year old boys. no 12 year olds or older- except the "helper". I understand that boys are unruly creatures, but my 10 year old webelos have finally learned to behave. So, once they move on to boy scouts, they can become wild and unruly again?
I had a middle school teacher one day give me a very profound bit of advice for dealing with kids of this age.

From K-6, kids' brains are like sponges, they soak up lessons like candy.

When they start 8th grade, they all lose their brains.

When they start high school, they find them, with an attitude attached.

So far I'm thinking he's pretty much spot on. :)

Stosh

It has been said here a million times.....A current or previous Cub Scout leader cannot stand a Boy Scout meeting. A boy led troop can be chaotic, most cub leaders are much more comfortable with all the lads sitting quietly being lectured with an adult or late teen speaking. But that isn't what it is all about, right?

Scouting is a leadership experiment for the boys. I have seen a lad advance from meek to dictator to representative leader, and all over the spectrum.

I guess I wasn't typical. After being a Cub Scout Den leader for 3 1/2 yrs, I loved Boy Scout meetings. My last year as a Cub Scout leader, I was also Advancement Coordinator for the Troop. I barely survived Cub Scouts..........

That said, as our troop is becoming more boy led, we are also becoming a bit more chaotic (and fun). Some of the older leaders cringe when the boys start doing things like spontaneously going into the "announcements" song.

Speaking in broad terms and without knowing anything about this unit in particular, I would find it hard to believe that the rest of the troop (over 11) are "run" much different than the 11-yr-old patrol. Visit the 12+ part fo the same troop, and if they're as poorly-run as the 11-yr-olds, then keep looking. If they're not, then find a well-run 11-yr-old patrol and then go to the well-run 12+ group afterwards.

Suggest you keep shopping for another Unit. If possible, one that isn't LDS. However, since you are running an LDS Webelos pack you may be well stuck with what their Bishop orders as to what Troop they can attend. Sucks, but that's the way it is with the LDS.....

• 3 weeks later...

We visited the other ward's 11 year old scouts yesterday and they are much more what I had envisioned as scouts. They wore uniform shirts and played games. Leader said they had to talk about boring stuff, so he would let the kids run around for awhile. Maybe not the perfect vision of scouting, but at least they were having fun.

• Upvote 1
We visited the other ward's 11 year old scouts yesterday and they are much more what I had envisioned as scouts. They wore uniform shirts and played games. Leader said they had to talk about boring stuff, so he would let the kids run around for awhile. Maybe not the perfect vision of scouting, but at least they were having fun.
The boys were also decently well behaved, despite having fun, playing a game.

I would still encourage you to visit a non-LDS troop, if there is one in your area, just for a look-see. I suppose I would ask myself, and my son, what he really wants to get from Boy Scouts other than a church youth group.

Well behaved, despite having fun? If this is your first foray into adolescence, strap yourself in!
After the game, did they do anything fun that was scout like? Or was the boring stuff trying to teach them something like in a classroom setting? A small amount of time in a game is not bad, but some troops (and I fear I have heard many LDS troops are guilty of this) use the time to play games, because they really don't care for the scouting stuff.

I guess others said LDS can't camp in the 11 yo group.. But can they go out, I would be curious what outings they have had None? to a basketball game? or is there at least some hiking, biking, swimming etc type activities.. Also troops have made teaching scoutcraft boring, because they know the classroom setting, and don't spend the time or creativity to figure out most training can be done hands on, or with relay races or other challenges.. So the boring is the lack of knowing how to run a scouting troop..

I would still encourage you to visit a non-LDS troop, if there is one in your area, just for a look-see. I suppose I would ask myself, and my son, what he really wants to get from Boy Scouts other than a church youth group.
I would be surprised if the LDS church would be fine with the boy going to a non-LDS troop.. I would encourage her to look at all her options, but if her options are only within the LDS troops, then the best of that group is what they should look for.. There are some gems out there which have a Scoutmaster who has taken an interest in Scouting despite it being assigned to him..
I have known other LDS families who joined non-LDS troops and if their church leaders said "boo" about it, it sure didn't change the situation. The family stayed with their preferred troops.