Interviewing for DE position....what should I expect?

One more comment. My wife dated me while I was a DE and knew a little of the stress that was involved. It wasn't until about 2 weeks before had to be cut short (national policy is that they are only required to give you 2 days off for getting married, and I had to come back to work on the Wednesay after I got married) that it her her. After 6 weeks of marriage, she gave me the ultimatum: her or the job.

So to quote the 9th Doctor (or is he the 10th now ;) )

"RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How is your poker face? Do you have any tells?   Can you lie to anyone and not carry any guilt?   Stealing,? Can you lose expense reports, fail to turn in apps and funds associated with th

Ya I am cynical......   We had a number of troops without packs associated and a number of packs without troops associated. It worked for the units and the boys, the boys would visit the unit an

One more comment. My wife dated me while I was a DE and knew a little of the stress that was involved. It wasn't until about 2 weeks before had to be cut short (national policy is that they are only required to give you 2 days off for getting married, and I had to come back to work on the Wednesay after I got married) that it her her. After 6 weeks of marriage, she gave me the ultimatum: her or the job.

So to quote the 9th Doctor (or is he the 10th now ;) )

"RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

Or, if you take the job, "Don't even blink!"
I see this thread is still popping back up.....

No more posts from ProScout

..... so I'm guessing he didn't turn pro after all.

And you would be correct. I withdrew myself from contention, mainly because I was concerned that they were telling me one thing about the time commitments, while everyone outside of there seemed dead-set on the idea that you would be working 80 hours a week (and if so, I can't reasonably do that and still give my own kids the attention they need). It stinks a bit. This is something I keep looking back at and wondering if I should have gone forward with it. As it were, they have finally gotten around to advertising for the job again. It's been open since last July and he was pretty clear that they were taking their time looking for the right person to fill the job. I gathered that they haven't had to turn the position over too terribly often, though the last guy in it apparently got caught in the midst of job searching (and I assume let go).

Here's the ad text with specific identifiers redacted:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________XXXXX XXXXX Council, Boy Scouts of America, is accepting resumes for an Executive Staff position. Candidates must have at least a Bachelor's degree along with an outgoing personality and strong communications skills. They must be willing to live and work in either XXXXX, XXXXX, XXXXX or XXXXX. This is an entry-level, professional position that requires day travel and occasional evening commitments. Salary is $36,000 per year plus benefits.

Experience in sales, marketing, fundraising, and public speaking is desirable.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So there you have it. Are they straight-up lying about the time, because I don't take "occasional" evening commitments to translate into 60-80 hours a week. What am I missing? :confused:

Unfortunately your are not reading "Executive" for the full weight that it carries. I think you would like it to be something like "Manager" and the salary makes you think that. But when it comes to non-profits, what's expected of an executive would cost roughly 3 times that in industry.
  • 3 weeks later...

Our DE's often look like they just stuck their finger in a wall socket! I know from talking to them that the time commitment is significant, including most nights and weekends. I am glad folks want to do the job as it is needed, but why they would for $36K a year is beyond me. I only know one that happily did it for an entire career and retired (he lived and breathed Scouting and never failed to have a smile on his face, what a great guy!), but most I have known tend to do it for a few years and move on. There is a lot of pressure to meet the various goals that are placed on the DE's, and some Council's are quite aggressive in dismissing DE's who do not meet their goals, whether they had any way to actually make it happen or not.

• 2 weeks later...