Need ideas for Scoutmaster Roundtables....

Make it a true Roundtable. Have Scouters talk about what their unit did the past month - where did they camp? How was the location? What did you do there? Cost? Any interesting troop meeting activities? What's coming up? A sharing of ideas. Just don't put me in a classroom and treat me like a 12 year old. My time is more valuable than that.

Amen! That's what turned me OFF to roundtables. Dry 30 minute slide presentations on poisonous plants, etc, with mile long URLs on the screen. That's what you DON'T do!!!

The key words there for me was the "a sharing of ideas". You can't really have slide presentations or power points with a sharing of ideas. And, facilitator needs to keep the discussion on "sharing" and not let it get into a one man show or debate. A good facilitator is worht their weight in Gold. When I organized Council and District Traing courses, I always looked for skilled facilitators and teachers first. Barry

And don't do what one facilitator did recently at a Cub Scout Leader training. He gave us a handout with websites to go to for game ideas. C'mon, dude. Couldn't you have spent a little time researching those sites yourself and at least come up with a few specific game ideas to start a good discussion? Why send 20 leaders off to research your websites, when you could have spent an hour preparing for the class and saving the rest of us the trouble.

I'd encourage you - or your Roundtable Commissioner once you have one - to contact Scoutmasters and ask them what THEY are interested in, or feel they need help with.

I generally don't attend Roundtable in our District. My ASM's or Committee Chair usually go to pick up paperwork. When I do go, it's either because the Troop has some responsibility for a District-wide event (like Camporee) or there's a topic on recruiting that I'm interested in.

Why don't YOU attend Roundtables? It is not a representation item it is a sharing/mentoring/learning time for ALL positions. Maybe you should help your Roundtable to figure out what they need to get you and ALL your Scouter friends attending.
I'd encourage you - or your Roundtable Commissioner once you have one - to contact Scoutmasters and ask them what THEY are interested in, or feel they need help with.

I generally don't attend Roundtable in our District. My ASM's or Committee Chair usually go to pick up paperwork. When I do go, it's either because the Troop has some responsibility for a District-wide event (like Camporee) or there's a topic on recruiting that I'm interested in.

I typically don't attend because there are no subjects of interest from a sharing/mentoring/learning perspective. I always respond to requests for subjects that would be of interest, but I suspect there just aren't enough people at my experience level who want the same things. I am sure the Roundtable is trying to provide the greatest good to the greatest number.