Yea I do lean towards the Council Method.. :)

Yea My Chuckbox may turn into a Modern "Chuckwagon"

Idea behind Chuckbox..Make a Container where each items has its own space where it can be readily found and easily Accessed without having to Unpack a lot of stuff

Your idea go with the multiple Plastic Container Idea where you break up items stored by likeness where you have to dig around and re-stack and Unpack as you need items. I simply hate having to get 1 Item out of a Box and either having to move something or Unstack something. Yea I know it is Wasted Space but when I want to use the 5 Gallon SS Pot to Cook I don't want to remove umpteen items from inside it and I don't want to have to pull it out to get a 4 quart pot from inside it when I need to heat a Small portion.

Another Idea behind the Chuckbox..Have an have an Elevated work Station making it easier on the back in case there are not Tables available in the Campsite.

Your Idea go with PLASTIC TOTES ..Now You Have added Table to the list of Things You have to carry to accomplish the same thing with Cheap plastic Totes. Stackable Totes just don't seem to have the same ability to function as a Stable Table as a well designed Chuckbox.

Another Advantage Chuckbox (Old Timer reason to Have a Chuckbox) Camp Clutter..I was brought up in Scouting that A UnCluttered Camp was better. a Single Chuckbox to me is Way More Uncluttered than 5-20 stackable Totes spread out.

As for rain issue. I remember that Our Chuckboxes could be left outside in the Rain because of the Way they were made, however I remember we always put them under a Tarp because us Scouts hated just standing in the Rain (and I still hate standing in the Rain). So I have a 10x20 Canopy I put up...For Christmas I hope to get the Sidewall Addition which will make it a 30x20 or an Enclosed 10x20

Idea behind Chuckbox..Make a Container where each items has its own space where it can be readily found and easily Accessed without having to Unpack a lot of stuff

Your idea go with the multiple Plastic Container Idea where you break up items stored by likeness where you have to dig around and re-stack and Unpack as you need items. I simply hate having to get 1 Item out of a Box and either having to move something or Unstack something. Yea I know it is Wasted Space but when I want to use the 5 Gallon SS Pot to Cook I don't want to remove umpteen items from inside it and I don't want to have to pull it out to get a 4 quart pot from inside it when I need to heat a Small portion.

Another Idea behind the Chuckbox..Have an have an Elevated work Station making it easier on the back in case there are not Tables available in the Campsite.

Your Idea go with PLASTIC TOTES ..Now You Have added Table to the list of Things You have to carry to accomplish the same thing with Cheap plastic Totes. Stackable Totes just don't seem to have the same ability to function as a Stable Table as a well designed Chuckbox.

Another Advantage Chuckbox (Old Timer reason to Have a Chuckbox) Camp Clutter..I was brought up in Scouting that A UnCluttered Camp was better. a Single Chuckbox to me is Way More Uncluttered than 5-20 stackable Totes spread out.

As for rain issue. I remember that Our Chuckboxes could be left outside in the Rain because of the Way they were made, however I remember we always put them under a Tarp because us Scouts hated just standing in the Rain (and I still hate standing in the Rain). So I have a 10x20 Canopy I put up...For Christmas I hope to get the Sidewall Addition which will make it a 30x20 or an Enclosed 10x20

NOW you tell us about the canopy! That changes everything. How sturdy are your cross bars and poles? You might want to consider some kind of hanging case for your utensils. We keep our sharp knives in a PVC tube with rope knotted through the end caps (partly to avoid losing the caps, partly for ventilation, and partly to hang the tube.
Nike commented Today, 07:02 PM

Wait a minute. You've got all this stuff and rely on one old John Wayne can opener? is it on your key chain?

I keep 4 at all times..

1 on Key Ring

1 in Chuck Box

2 Unopened In Case we Lose One

I buy them at Academy Sports 2 For .99, hard to beat that price. I also give them out to Cub Scouts who help with Chores when on Campouts.

You got ripped off!!! You can buy 100 P-38 can openers for $17.99. All your boys can have one and have say, maybe, 50 more in a can. :)

Stosh

Not exactly what you wanted, but the best improvement our troop made was when we burned our patrol boxes. We now use rubbermaid tubs that have packing diagrams. They can sit in the rain. They can be washed. They can be dropped without breaking someone's foot. And best of all, one eleven year old scout can carry it. Two at most. Stoves are on a shelf waiting to be checked out separate. Solves the issue of white gas leaking or if a patrol needs multiple stoves.

The old patrol boxes were heavy for two adults and required four eleven year old scouts to carry. Major weight savings in the trailer too considering we always have seven patrol tubs with us. Seven of the old patrol boxes would have bent the trailer axle.

Each tub has three wash basins, Trail Chef Aluminum Cook Kit (three pots, coffee maker, pans, etc), a cutting board, a fry pan, 1 gallon pitcher, a rolled up set of cooking utensils, measuring cups, etc. Plus anything else each patrol wants to add to their patrol tub. Tubs are labeled by patrol (aluminum foil, zip lock bags, etc).

Just a thought.

Our troop contemplated custom chuckboxes--we use rolling plastic tool boxes that are about the size of a typical cooler. They work ok, The good thing is that even our smallest scouts can move them around. The waterproof part is great.

The poles are pretty sturdy. I think they are 1 1/2 in Diameter powder coated steel. Not as Many as I would like but for 100.00 I think it is pretty good. Bought at Academy Sports. Easy to set up. Another Project of Mine. Make a Nice storage Box..I doubt the Cardboard box will last Long. Plus I would like to leave the legs and Ribs together to shorten Set up time. I bought Solar powered LED Rope Lights from Harbor Freight with auto on. I have heard mixed results about the ability to stand up in Rain Storms..Seems like 50/50 good /bad reviews..So Far I have not had rain to see how well it does stand up. I could add a Few 2x4 Rafters easily so I have a Rafter every few feet. I could decorate those with maybe Images or Branding Irons..May be the Scout Motto and the Law.

I had to replace the Original Lights because I had been also using them on my Fence in the Yard. Seems the Plastic in the Sleeves and LED turns Yellow quickly when Exposed Directly to Sunlight. The White Canopy reflects the Light. The Harbor Freight lights are 22 Feet long. So I use 1 down each Side attached under the Canopy to the Tubing with Velcro Wraps. The new ones will only be Used with the Canopy.

Hang a Sign on the End Saying "Ol' Timers Lounge"

Years ago I built a chuck box for the troop adults. At the time it was supposed to be a prototype for the patrols to try out and modify before building their own. Never got that far.

It is basically three vertical compartments. One compartment is the size to two plastic milk crates stacked together -- one holds staples, the other a nest of pots and pan larger utensils. The center compartment holds five plastic shoe boxes -- one is a spice box, one a tool kit, one cleaning supplies, etc.. The end compartment holds everything else -- usually odd shaped stuff like a cast iron skillet, a griddle, propane hoses, etc. There are two sets of notches cut in the dividers which hold a propane tree and iron fire hook legs. The front opens downward and makes a reasonable work surface. The inner surface of the door is covered with plastic laminate for easy cleaning. The back side has a section of wire closet shelving which folds down for a drying rack. When it's folded up and tied off, a camp grill tucks behind it. There is a shepherd's crook that slips into a pocket and holds a lantern over the work surface. The legs are made of 1" electrical conduit and slip in and out pockets on either end. When not in use, the legs slip into conduit brackets mounted on the sides and top for storage.

The best part of the whole thing is two 12" wheels mounted on one end. Two of the leg storage brackets are mounted so that the legs turn into handles making the whole contraption a big wheel barrow. With the 12" wheels it will roll on just about any terrain. Which is good, because fully loaded with gear and food it takes two mules and a jackass to carry.

Still, this thing is way bigger than necessary for a patrol. The adults sometimes feed a crowd -- we've got the Webelos parents with us next month and could have 20 adults to feed. For a Scout patrol I may build something about the size of two milk crates, side-by-side and maybe three plastic shoe boxes next the that. I do like the "box of boxes" concept, though. It makes it easier to access stuff without just dumping everything out on the ground.

All that said, our troop doesn't use patrol boxes, per se. Until recently each patrol has used a large Rubbermaid incubator -- um, I mean plastic tub. Each patrol has it's own locker which holds all its, cook gear, stove, tents, fly, etc. Sealed up, the plastic tubs get pretty funky between campouts. We are in the process of converting to oversized milk crate to hold gear. It still allows the patrols to organize their stuff, but we're hoping the open design eliminates the funk.

Tables -- Walmart here has folding camp tables which are (guessing) 30x60, but half that is plated steel mesh intended to hold your stove and hot pots and pans. The other half is plenty big for prep work. It's plastic and washes down nicely (but I'm just waiting for someone to put the hot skillet down on the wrong end.) The legs telescope for varying height. They were ballpark $35.

Your points are well made and I can sympathize. Chuck boxes do help a cleaner camp site, less unpacking/repacking, elevated work surface, etc. Encountered each. Know exactly what you mean. But I'll trade that all for light weight packing that young scouts and old scouts with bad backs can easily carry.

Please note it's just one tote per patrol. Not multiple. They also check out a stove separately.

I realize this thread is not about "backpack" cooking, but the idea of sedan chair carriable chuck/cook boxes and drive up and drop trailer camping always brings to mind my favorite article, which I give out at IOLS training, to wit, I present "Courageous Cookery" :

*(( The true author of this article is unknown. It is here copied from the COME HOSTELING newsletter, Sept. 1980, of the Potomac Area Council of the American Youth Hostels, who received it from Dick Schwanke, Senior PAC Staff Trainer, who read it in the APPALACHIAN HIKER by Ed Garvey, who got it from the Potomac Appalachian Trail Conference Bulletin, which quoted it from THE RAMBLER of the Wasatch Mountain Club of Salt Lake City, which reportedly cribbed it from the I.A.C. News of Idaho Falls, which reported it from the 1966 PEAKS & TRAILS. I offer it here for your enjoyment and inspiration. Note that some of the ingredients are a bit dated. Adjust as necessary. Enjoy!))

"Courageous Cookery" by John Echo*

Once the convert backpacker or cycle camper has accepted the subtle gustatory nuances associated with sustained operations beyond the chrome, he should try the advantages of ultra fringe living so that he will realize what he is paying for his nested pots and pretty pans carried so diligently and brought home so dirty after every "wilderness experience". The following system works. It is dependable and functional. It works on the big rock. It even works when the weather has gone to hell, you are wet and cold and the wind is blowing down the back of your hairy neck. It is not for the timid. It consists of a stove, a six inch sauce pan, a plastic cup and a soup spoon. If you insist on a metal cup, you must never fail to mutter "I'm having fun, I'm having fun", every time you spill the soup on your sleeping bag.

Breakfast: Instant wheat cereal-- sugar and powdered milk added-- ready two minutes after water boils. Eat from pot. Do not wash pot. Add water, boil, and add powdered eggs and ham. You'll never taste the cereal anyway. In three minutes, eat eggs. Do not wash pot. Add water or snow and boil for tea. Do not wash pot. Most of the residue eggs will come off in the tea water. Make it strong and add sugar. Tastes like tea. Do not wash pot. With reasonable technique, it should be clean. Pack pot in rucksack and enjoy last cup of tea while others are dirtying entire series of nested cookware.

Lunch: Boil pot of tea. Have snack of rye bread, cheese and dried beef Continue journey in 10 minutes if necessary.

Dinner: Boil pot of water, add Wylers dried vegetable soup and beef bar. Eat from pot. Do not wash pot. Add water and potatoes from dry potatoe powder. Add gravy mix to taste. Eat potatoes from pot. Do not wash pot. Add water and boil for tea. Fortuitous fish or meat can be cooked easily. You do not need oil or fat. Put half inch of water in pot. Add cleaned and salted fish. Do not let water boil away. Eat from pot when done. Process can be done rapidly. Fish can even be browned somewhat by a masterful hand.

Do not change menu. Variation only recedes from the optimum. Beginners may be allowed to wash pot once a day for three consecutive days only. It is obvious that burning or sticking food destroys the beauty of the technique. If you insist on carrying a heavier pack, make up the weight you save with extra food. Stay three days longer.

I realize this thread is not about "backpack" cooking, but the idea of sedan chair carriable chuck/cook boxes and drive up and drop trailer camping always brings to mind my favorite article, which I give out at IOLS training, to wit, I present "Courageous Cookery" :

*(( The true author of this article is unknown. It is here copied from the COME HOSTELING newsletter, Sept. 1980, of the Potomac Area Council of the American Youth Hostels, who received it from Dick Schwanke, Senior PAC Staff Trainer, who read it in the APPALACHIAN HIKER by Ed Garvey, who got it from the Potomac Appalachian Trail Conference Bulletin, which quoted it from THE RAMBLER of the Wasatch Mountain Club of Salt Lake City, which reportedly cribbed it from the I.A.C. News of Idaho Falls, which reported it from the 1966 PEAKS & TRAILS. I offer it here for your enjoyment and inspiration. Note that some of the ingredients are a bit dated. Adjust as necessary. Enjoy!))

Once the convert backpacker or cycle camper has accepted the subtle gustatory nuances associated with sustained operations beyond the chrome, he should try the advantages of ultra fringe living so that he will realize what he is paying for his nested pots and pretty pans carried so diligently and brought home so dirty after every "wilderness experience". The following system works. It is dependable and functional. It works on the big rock. It even works when the weather has gone to hell, you are wet and cold and the wind is blowing down the back of your hairy neck. It is not for the timid. It consists of a stove, a six inch sauce pan, a plastic cup and a soup spoon. If you insist on a metal cup, you must never fail to mutter "I'm having fun, I'm having fun", every time you spill the soup on your sleeping bag.

Breakfast: Instant wheat cereal-- sugar and powdered milk added-- ready two minutes after water boils. Eat from pot. Do not wash pot. Add water, boil, and add powdered eggs and ham. You'll never taste the cereal anyway. In three minutes, eat eggs. Do not wash pot. Add water or snow and boil for tea. Do not wash pot. Most of the residue eggs will come off in the tea water. Make it strong and add sugar. Tastes like tea. Do not wash pot. With reasonable technique, it should be clean. Pack pot in rucksack and enjoy last cup of tea while others are dirtying entire series of nested cookware.

Lunch: Boil pot of tea. Have snack of rye bread, cheese and dried beef Continue journey in 10 minutes if necessary.

Dinner: Boil pot of water, add Wylers dried vegetable soup and beef bar. Eat from pot. Do not wash pot. Add water and potatoes from dry potatoe powder. Add gravy mix to taste. Eat potatoes from pot. Do not wash pot. Add water and boil for tea. Fortuitous fish or meat can be cooked easily. You do not need oil or fat. Put half inch of water in pot. Add cleaned and salted fish. Do not let water boil away. Eat from pot when done. Process can be done rapidly. Fish can even be browned somewhat by a masterful hand.

Do not change menu. Variation only recedes from the optimum. Beginners may be allowed to wash pot once a day for three consecutive days only. It is obvious that burning or sticking food destroys the beauty of the technique. If you insist on carrying a heavier pack, make up the weight you save with extra food. Stay three days longer.

I'm a lazy backpack cook too, but I prefer the term efficient. I'll buy the cup of noodles in the Styrofoam containers. Eat that for dinner, rinse out and save the container, then use it for oatmeal the next morning, then crush the container to make space. I don't even bring a pot. Just a cup to boil water. For some people it seems that cooking outdoors is part of the experience. For me it just gets in the way of enjoying what's around me. The cup of noodles would never work for longer than a 2-night trip, though, because they take up too much space. Then I might have to break down and bring instant mac-and-cheese packets and soil my cup.

I've read this many times. It always makes my mom-stomach turn. But, it's great advice and essentially what my #1 son did when he was a Scout.